Sunday's Camp Report (long) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sunday's Camp Report (long)

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I made it to the afternoon practice today. It was crowded again and HOT! Since there was only one practice today it was also 15-20 min longer then usual.

I went by myself today and instead of taking pictures I tried taking detailed notes and actually logging plays. Well I hope everyone likes it, b/c you’ll never see it from me again. I was tedious and turned one of my favorite pastimes into a bad flashback to scribbling rushed notes in a college economics class. My brain-cell depleted memory will have to do from now on.

#88 Thompson was hot today! Jay also looked pretty good.
Wally O didn’t practice but worked out non contact conditioning with one of the trainers.
I did not see McKnight out there today.

Near the end of practice Desus Rogers from the channel 7 sports show that Drew has a spot on showed up (SportsExtra???). He interviewed a few people in the crowd, so look for some footage tonight on 7.

Also, throughout the practice they were practicing punting on the far field. Mark Royals had a few Regy Roby like rainbow bombs that went up and caught my eye. Nice spiral, good hang time. Hopefully the injury did hinder him last year. Also saw him hit several in a row to the exact spot 5 feet from the sideline where the catcher was standing.

Practice started with kicking-
Both Mare and the barefooted #7 (name?) were booting them perfectly down the middle from 50 yards. And they were using the portable goal posts which are about as narrow as arena league ones. Then they moved in about 10 yards and both kickers struggled a little. All the kicks looked like they would have been good in normal posts but it was hard to tell if they were good on these narrow ones.

Next came Kick Return drills-
Here the difference between Mare & #7 showed. Mare was booting them all high and deep, and #7 was inconsistent, some nice ones and some short with a poor arc.
They were mostly practice wedge forming and exploiting by the returners. #32 Rogers was the primary returner and Newsom, Baker & Sam Simmons split the rest. Rogers looks fast. He made quick sharp cuts and looked decisive in his running.
All the returns practiced today were right handed returns behind a wedge.
#87 Tolver also took some snaps and practiced with the kick cover team a few reps…???

At the same time, the QB’s & WR’s were practicing red zone passing on the far field.
It’s hard too watch close what happens on the far field, but from what I saw all 4 QB’s looked good. I saw a bobble drop from #82 Battaglia, a drop on a tough catch by #85 Lee, one bad throw from Griese over Thompson’s head and nothing else hit the ground. All the QB’s & WR’s looked good here. Battaglia made up for his drop with 2 nice catches by the sideline and Chambers had a couple nice grabs in the back of the end zone.

Greenwood is still starting in front of Moore in the LB’s

Ok, they moved the good stuff to the close field and did 1 vs 1, WR vs DB. Here is were I became a hard core nerd and starting logging plays for you guys. Here it goes:

#9 QB - #84 vs. #21 – incomplete – broken up nicely by Fletcher
#9 QB - #88 vs. #29 - complete
#14 QB - #17 vs. #23 – complete
#14 QB - #86 vs. #20 – complete, but OG pushed off big time
#9 QB - #16 vs. #36 – complete – nice over the shoulder catch for a TD
#9 QB - #83 vs. #25 – complete
#14 QB - #8 vs. #41 – complete – very short gain
#14 QB - #19 vs. #45 – incomplete - #45 was very aggressive with the WR. Knocked him way off his route. Got a big high-5 from Jim Bates.
#9 QB - #84 vs. #21 – complete – Chambers froze him on a great double move back outside
#9 QB - #88 vs. #37 – complete – another great shake & bake move as if to out-do Chambers
#14 QB - #87 vs. #46 – incomplete – high throw
#14 QB - #86 vs. #20 – incomplete – intercepted by Buckley
#9 QB - #2 vs. #36 – incomplete – Donaldson was holding big time
#9 QB - #88 vs. #29 – complete – Sam fought hard for the ball, but Thompson used his body well
#14 QB - #16 vs. #47 – incomplete
#14 QB - #15 vs. #37 – complete – nice diving catch by Bellamy
#9 QB - #84 vs. #23 – incomplete – Chambers didn’t turn in time for the ball – good coverage
#9 QB - #83 vs. #42 – complete
#14 QB - #87 vs. #21 – incomplete – pass interference on Fletcher
#14 QB - #86 vs. #43 – complete – OG used body well again
#14 QB - #17 vs. #36 – complete – Burnt DB then sweet over the shoulder catch
#9 QB - #19 vs. #45 – complete

Middle Drill
#34 – nice hole – possible TD
#34 – stuffed at LOS
#34 – pitch, no hole, great cutback for a nice gain
#47 – small hole – min gain
#47 – D line strung play out – no gain
#47 – looked like they were holding a d-Line meeting in the backfield – STUFFED
#47 – small hole – big hit by #51 Hendricks
#26 – no real hole – bit hit by #51 again
#26 – pitch – ok room to the outside (big surprise in a middle drill…)
#26 - #78 Maurice Anderson ate the play up – loss on play
#26 – big hit by #56 LB Seaverns – small gain
#32 – Rogers is so quick – he slipped through a small hole for a probable TD
#32 – Wiggled in hole to get most out of it, but min gain
#32 – stuffed – no gain
#35 – exploited big hole on right side – nice gainer

7 vs 7
#9 complete to #88 – short drag route
#9 complete to #81 – short gain – nice hit by #31 Marion
#9 incomplete to #34 RW – short throw – drop by RW
#9 complete to #84 – back of end zone – TD
#14 complete to #47 – short gain
#14 incomplete to #86 – OG was open, but it looked like he tried to be cute with a backhanded catch and dropped it
#14 complete to #16 – Beat #21 Fletcher to the inside for a TD
#14 complete to #82 Battaglia – short gain
#9 incomplete to #88 Thompson – Fade pass, thrown to high
#9 complete to #84 Chambers – solid throw on the numbers in the middle of the field
#9 complete to #34 RW – short gain
#9 complete to #32 – Roders looked quick again after the catch rounding the corner in the flat
#14 complete to #26 – short gain in the flat, #20 Buckley w/ good coverage
#14 complete to #33 – Short gain by Dyer in front of #22 Wooden
#14 incomplete – threw ball away
#14 complete to #32 – short gain

11 vs 11 in the red zone
#9 hands off to #32 who hands it to #84 Chambers on the reverse – defense covered it well
#9 fakes hand off to #34 RW then rolls other way and completes to #84 Chambers – nice gain
#9 complete to #81 McMichael – beat #27 for the TD
#9 hands off to #34 – Stuffed by Chester & Bowens
#14 complete to #86 – hit late on a drag route
#14 hands off to #47 - #51 & #57 combine for the hit – small gain
#14 completes to #86 – in front of #22 in coverage
#14 incomplete – batted at line by #98??
#9 delayed hand off to #34 – stuffed in the back field by #54
#9 hands off to #34 – runs right side for a small gain
#9 rolls away from big pressure – incomplete over #84 Chamber’s head
#9 complete to #88 Thompson on a fade route in the corner over #23 Surtain for a nice TD
#14 fakes hand off to #24 and gives it to #17 Simmons on the reverse – short gain
#14 incomplete to #87 Tolver - #57 was there in coverage buy Tolver dropped it
#14 complete to #26 – short catch in flat - #37 & #57 there in coverage
#14 incomplete to #16 – nice play by #21 Fletcher to bat the ball away

2 minute drill – 1:30 on the clock – 1 time out – from 45 yard line
Fiedler –
1) Jay drops back to pass and it is batted up in the air at the LOS by #99 JT and caught for a pic by #95 Bowens – crowd goes nuts cheering for Bowens

Fiedler (2) –
1) completes short to #34 RW in front of #27 Freeman – clock running
2) no huddle – incomplete to #34 – RW can’t make the catch on a bad throw – 1:04
3) completes quick out to #17 Simmons – out of bounds - :59
4) completes quick out to #17 Simmons – pushed out of bounds by #23 - :53
5) completes short dump to #34 – nice juke move by RW putting #54 Zack on the ground
6) incomplete – big rush – should have run with it - :31
7) completes to #17 Simmons – short gain Buckley on the coverage & tackle – time out - :23 – about 32 yard line
8) #99 JT Dixon bad and slapped the ball from Jay’s hand – blown dead – no fumble or sacks I guess in 2 min drill - :17
9) From shotgun completes to #81 over the middle - :02
10) Incomplete to #81 in corner of endzone – good coverage by #23 Surtain
11) Offence failed

Griese –
1) #37 got the sack on a nice rush – no call – play continued and thrown incomplete to #16 w/ #21 Fletcher almost getting the pic
2) complete to #82 over the middle – 7 yard gain – no huddle
3) complete to #82 again – Griese avoided the rush nicely – out of bounds at 35 yard line – 1:00
4) under pressure scrambles to the right and Griese gained 10-12 and got out of bounds – 24 yard line - :51
5) from shotgun – incomplete to #86 – short throw - :47
6) from shotgun – incomplete to #8 in corner – bad throw - :42
7) from shotgun – threw ball away
8) evaded rush – Griese ran up the middle through a big hole about 15 yards to the 10 - :27
9) incomplete to #32 – short hopped the throw
10) sacked by #67 – no huddle
11) spiked ball - :04
12) incomplete to #82 – throw was out of bounds
13) Offence failed

Fiedler (3) –
1) hand off to #34 RW – Zack Thomas met him in the hole – 2 yard gain
2) incomplete to #84 Chambers – throw too high
3) complete to #88 Thompson – nice catch in front of #24
4) complete to #34 RW – short gain to about 35 yard line
5) big sack by #99 JT – no call – play continued – complete to 5 yard line - :27
6) incomplete to #87 Tolver – dropped in end zone by Tolver – drag route thrown a little high but very catchable - :22
7) complete to #87 Tolver – quick out – short gain - :16
8) incomplete. #24 batted the ball away nicely - :12
9) incomplete to #81 McMichael – claimed he was held in end zone – I didn’t see the hold…
10) Offence failed

Sage –
1) complete to #15 – quick out pattern – gain of 9 – 1:26
2) inside hand off to #47 – gains 6-7 yards
3) incomplete – short dump to #47 – dropped – 1:02
4) incomplete over the middle to #85 – high throw and poor decision – WR 3X covered
5) complete to #47 – beat #58 Moore for a long 20+ yard gain
6) great protection – had all day –complete to #47 – short dump for about 10 yards – time out - :24
7) incomplete to #17 – tipped in good coverage by #43 and caught for a pic by #58 Moore –
8) Offence failed

Whew! I hope all the typing and notes was worth it. Did you like it or is it too much cryptic information?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for camp report.

Dude you Da Man!!
Great report, Greatly Appreciated:rocker:

Most of it was pretty acurate... ( i was there too!) Except it wasnt Duces that was there it was Jim Berry from Channel 4. And i want to know who the hell that was that stopped Jr. Seau dead in his tracks on that one play when it was 11 vs. 11 (but i dont think it was all starters.. mostly backups) it looked like Jr. had a HUGE hole down the middle right to the QB and all of a sudden SOMEONE from the O-Line popped up and stoped him... it was amazing! I just didnt see who it was.. did you see?

Dude... reading that was the best fix I've had since beating Oakland. Thanks for all the effort you put into it. You economics majors got it going on -- I believe CK is one, too.:)

It sounds like the defense is really overpowering, which wouldn't be unexpected. But, as was pointed out on another thread, this early in camp the defense will always dominate. Offense has all that timing, coordination and execution to work out. That's what camp's for, too.:)

THANK YOU FOR A FANTASTIC REPORT!!!

Great post, I almost felt I was there. Thank you much.

Originally posted by MissMeth
Most of it was pretty acurate... ( i was there too!) Except it wasnt Duces that was there it was Jim Berry from Channel 4. And i want to know who the hell that was that stopped Jr. Seau dead in his tracks on that one play when it was 11 vs. 11 (but i dont think it was all starters.. mostly backups) it looked like Jr. had a HUGE hole down the middle right to the QB and all of a sudden SOMEONE from the O-Line popped up and stoped him... it was amazing! I just didnt see who it was.. did you see?
You're right, it was Jim Berry. I wasn't paying much attention to him. Very annoying guy on tv...

I can't remember that exact play, but I did see Rob Konrad on one play pick up a blitz and there was a big hit with someone, but I didn't see who it was. Maybe same play you're talking about???

Man, that's great...

I know what you mean about it taking the fun out of it for you, but for those of us who can't make it to camp it was a GREAT read...

Good job...

Dude!

Fantastic stuff...really gave me a feel for what went on.
I understand that must be tedious for you, but I really enjoyed the detail you gave! Props for all your hard work!

Thanks once again!

Thanx for all ur time and hard work dude!!! I'd buy u a beer if i could:)

Back
Top Bottom