Super Bowl Hangover....Does it exist? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl Hangover....Does it exist?

MarksBrothers85

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Since the era of the salary cap began in 1993, the NFL's playing field has been been as level as the Great Plains, there is a new champion every season. Since 1999 we've had four different champions, playoff teams that were 4-12 the season before and quarterbacks we've never heard of leading teams to the Super Bowl. However, it seems that on a consistent basis the defending champions seem to get fat, lazy and unmotivated the following season (See 2002 Pats, 2003 Bucs and to a lesser extent 2000 Rams). Some people call this the "Super Bowl Hangover." Now the purpose of writing this post was to get you're opinions, do you think the Pats can repeat or will they get this hangover....hopefully they do because I HATE the Pats.

IMO the SB hangover exists b/c the team that wins it does not get as much recuperative time or as much prep time as everybody else.

Originally posted by rafael
IMO the SB hangover exists b/c the team that wins it does not get as much recuperative time or as much prep time as everybody else.

That has to be the worst reason I have ever heard. Your talking a couple weeks worth of a 7 month offseason.

Originally posted by MarksBrothers85
Now the purpose of writing this post was to get you're opinions, do you think the Pats can repeat or will they get this hangover....hopefully they do because I HATE the Pats.

Because this happened to the Pats after their first SB victory, Belichick will use this as a rallying cry all year long.

No way will the Pats come out complacent next year.

Also, don't underestimate that every team playing the Pats next year will want to knock of the Super Bowl champs.

Every team they play will bring along their "A" game.

Originally posted by MarksBrothers85
Since the era of the salary cap began in 1993, the NFL's playing field has been been as level as the Great Plains, there is a new champion every season. Since 1999 we've had four different champions, playoff teams that were 4-12 the season before and quarterbacks we've never heard of leading teams to the Super Bowl. However, it seems that on a consistent basis the defending champions seem to get fat, lazy and unmotivated the following season (See 2002 Pats, 2003 Bucs and to a lesser extent 2000 Rams). Some people call this the "Super Bowl Hangover." Now the purpose of writing this post was to get you're opinions, do you think the Pats can repeat or will they get this hangover....hopefully they do because I HATE the Pats.

i can't speak for the pats but i can for us. We definitely don't have a SB hangover. We've had 30 loooong years to sober up !!

Originally posted by gottahavefootba
Also the pats luck is soon to run out and they will be back to the 8-8 team they are.

Yep, 15 straight wins and another Super Bowl championship and it was all luck.

Very intelligent post gottahave.

To win 15 straight you have to have some luck so it wasn't as dumb of a post as you think it was

Also the pats luck is soon to run out and they will be back to the 8-8 team they are.

:cry:

The Super Bowl teams play a month longer than most everyone else, so less time to prepare for free agency, the draft, contract negotiations, etc.

The top RFA or FA players are put on display in the big dance, so they are targeted by the other teams, making them harder to resign. Plus some players no doubt feel if they went to a Super Bowl that they "earned" a bigger contract anyway.

You get the best efforts of every team you play the following season, so if you play close games (Pats and Panthers) you are bound to lose 1-3 more games. In the NFL, even two games difference is HUGE (Phins at 10-6 versus 12-4 for example).

As painful as it was to see the Pats win (I cheered for them against the Lambs - as the lesser of two evils) again, they should be very good this coming season. I just don't think they can go three-out-of-four in winning a Super Bowl. No shame in that though, just so many things to overcome.

That has to be the worst reason I have ever heard. Your talking a couple weeks worth of a 7 month offseason.

This is by far the most important reason. It has been the reason cited by several coaches, including Bill Belichek this year at the Combine.

Back
Top Bottom