Super Bowl Talent | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl Talent

RealDriscoll

Still Perfect.. and You're Not.
Reaction score
The Dolphins have their share of Offensive issues and watching this team has been the ultimate rioller coaster ride this season but there is no denying that this team is as talented as there is in the NFL. Homer? Well let's look at this team position by position and see.

Their offense lacks a Quarterback, they need an Offensive Coordinator who isn't as conservative as they get, they need a Running Back, and they need to improve the interior of their offensive line but this Dolphins team is getting closer and closer to becoming a force to reckon with in the AFC.

Let's look at special teams and right off the bat you seem Dan Carpenter. A diamond in the rough found by Jeff Ireland has become of the league's best Kickers. Brandon Fields was the MVP in yesterdays' win against the Jets and has been consistent all season. Both of these guys received contract extensions in the off-season which is a blessing that both will be a Dolphin for the long haul. Rookie Reshad Jones has really impressed me on the coverage units with yesterday being his best day thus far.

Quarterback is a major issue and something we need to address. Do we look at Cameron Newton, Pat Devlin, Nick Foles, Jake Locker, or Ryan Mallett in the draft or do we go after a Veteran Free Agent. Chad Henne has really regressed as yesterday was the low point of his career. He has a 3 game audition against the Bills, Lions, and Patriots but I am not convinced he is the starter. Tyler Thigpen is a very good backup but to think he is the future is a bit premature. Chad Henne is up and down and lacks consistency in his game and the QB position which holds this team back. You throw in a healthy Chad Pennington and this team is 11-5 and in the playoffs. I am not going to speculate who we go after, just that we need to address this position and make it our #1 priority this off-season. The likely retirement of Dan Henning will help this team as well.

Our Running Back situation was once a strong point but has been a MAJOR disappointment this season. Ronnie brown does not look like the same player this season. If you would have asked me before the season I would have said let's resign Ronnie Brown but right now I say you let him walk. He is damaged goods and is just an average NFL Running Back. I know people are going to want Deangelo Williams in free agency or Mark Ingram in the draft but my sleeper is Kendall Hutner out of Oklahoma State in Round 3. Ricky Williams is a better player than Ronnie right now and I would be all about singing Ricky to another one year deal. Lex Hilliard is ordinary and Patrick Cobbs is a 3rd down back at best. We need to bring in new blood here and I expect us to bring in someone via the draft and a player like Michael Bush in Free Agency. Loushaka Polite isn't the same fullback he was a year ago either. He isn't opening holes and knocking people on their butts anymore. I doubt Polite is aour starting Fullback next season.

Our Wide Receivers have been a pleasant surprise. Their numbers are impressive but not eye popping but you have to blame ineffective Quarterback and terrible play-calling as part of that. Brandon Marshall missed 2.5 and only has 2 TD's but the guy is the best Offensive weapon we ahve had in a decade. We need to get him more involved and allow him to make plays. Davone Bess has emerged as one of the best slot receivers in the game and Brian Hartline has been a very good player for us and it sucks he is out for the season on the IR. I am very happy with these 3 guys going into next season. We need to bring in a bruner in the Jacoby Ford,/ Mike Wallace mold. Marlon Moore and Robert Wallace have flashed but lacked consistency. I think one of these guys (Moore) will stick. Before Hartline's injury we had 3 receivers on pace for 1,000 yards season and I couldn't even imagine with a good Quarterback how good they could be. Anthony fasano has been himself..good blocker, solid, an occasional big catch but we need a #2 really bad and hopefully that guy is a vertical threat. Jeron Mustrad and Dedrick Epps are not the answer here.

Jake Long is the best Left Tackle/ Offensive Linemen in the NFL. What he is doing with practically one arm is amazing. Jake is well on his way to his 3rd straight Pro-Bowl. Vernon Carey hasn't been great this season but we sure missed him on Sunday. Long and Carey are our book-ends and the only two guys I can say definitely will start next season. John Jerry should start at Right Guard but he needs an off-season in the gynm lifting weights and getting stronger. he is a rookie so you have to be impressed with him. that leaves two holes at LG and Center which we NEED to address and luckily for us there are two free agents in Logan Mankins and Carl Nicks who we will covet. We were interested in trading for Mankins and I think he hits the market and we make a strong push. You sign Logan mankins and problem is solved with a line of Jake Long, Vernon Carey, John Jerry, and Logan Mankins..Wow! Joe Berger is a servicable Center but we need to look at a player like John Moffitt out of Wisconsin come April. I think our front-office' focus will be on improving this unit. Luckily for us we have Chad Pennington and Ronnie Browns salaries coming off the books and not much to maintain in house besides extending Wake and Soliai.

Mike Nolan was the best off-season addition for the Miami Dolphins. Our defense is a Top 5 defense in the league and we are young and only going to get better. Our Defensive Line is among the league's best. Paul Soliai is the most improved player in the NFL as he had developed into one of the best Nose Tackles in the game. Kendall Landford and Randy Starks are book-ends; You have Tony McDaniel playing great football; Phillip Merling looks good recovering from his ACL injury and will only get better. Jared Odrick returns next year and this guy is a man. Our DLINE rotation is just nasty and will only get better. When you can rotate Odrick, Langford, Starks, and Soliai and have Merling and McDaniel for depth than you really have something. I wonder if the Dolphins could do it over again would they take Odrick in Round 1.

Karlos Dansby has been as good as advertised and even more. He is a playmaker who can tackle anyone and is pretty dman good in coverage. Channing Crowder has played great against the run and when he hasn't been able to go tim Dobbins has stepped in nicely. AJ Edds will return next season and Dolphins fans are going to love this guy. I am confident that Edds will unseat Crowder as a starter by the end of next season. Edds is great in coverage and has a great football IQ. Koa Misi has been really good as a rookie and once he develops some techniques will become a force as a pass rusher. Than there is this guy named Cameron Wake who has emerged into an ELITE player in this league. He currently leads the league in sacks which has surpassed what I projected (12 sacks) but we knew he could rush the passer but he has improved so much as a run defender. We need to PAY Wake and Soliai because their emergence is the reason our defense is playing so well.

Vontae Davis is here ladies and gentlemen. the best young Cornerback in football. Quarterbacks aren't even looking his way. Sean Smith has been great in coverage so i don't understand why Fins fans are down on him. he had great ball skills at Utah and is dropping some easy Interceptions this seaosn but the guy is young and he isn't getting beat too often. I think Davis and Smith are both future Pro-Bowl players. Will Allen returns next season and I hope we keep him as a Nickel-Back and mentor. Remeber Allen was our top Cornerback when healthy which peaked during our 2008 run. Nolan Carroll will only get better and congarts to him on his 1st career interception yesterday. The guy has been a solid Kick Returner and now is coming into the fold as Corner. Chris Clemons has impressed me as much as anyone on this team. He just doesn't make mistaked. Yeremiah Bell is a Top 5 safety in football and continue to be a leader on this defense. Bell is the only starter over 30 but luckily for us we have Reshad Jones learning behind Bell. Jones has serious potential and right now is a special teams ace.

Do we have holes? Sure. Are we a playoff team this season? probably not. Our future is so effin bright though which has me seriously excited. Improving our OLINE, finding a new Offensive Coordinator, and a new Quarterback. We do these things and we are going to be a force in this league.

Back
Top Bottom