Super Bowl Winners without a 'Franchise QB' | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl Winners without a 'Franchise QB'

When you're not drafting early in the first round you need to be much luckier. Hopefully, Miami can win 9 games and compete for a wildcard in 2020, but that puts us out of the top 5 unless we're gonna sell our whole 2021 draft to move up, maybe for Lawrence.
Don't disagree with your comments, but hoping we may trade either one of our late 1st Rounders or early 2 for a 1st next draft to a team that may still be very poor so have another another chance of drafting at the top end of the 2021 draft.

Looking back at the list of Super Bowl champs for the past 20 or so years, the moral seems to be that if you don't have a top caliber QB you better have Ozzie Newsome building your roster.

Tampa Bay and Baltimore won super Bowls with average QB’s but with an exceptional defense. That was a while back. I can’t think of a more recent example. Maybe Baltimore again with Flacco?

I wouldn’t advocate it though. I think you need an elite guy to be your QB for 10 years because the position is so hard to get right and you can always build around an elite QB. You need many more pieces to get the job done with a game manager.

The only way to win a superbowl without an elite QB is to have a historically elite defense.

So the question is: What's easier? To build a historically elite defense or find an elite QB?

I think the answer is self-evident.

Food for thought the highest drafted QB left I’m the 2019 playoffs is Ryan Tannehill at 8th overall. The worst QB nationally left in the 2019 playoffs (not on here I get that and I don’t agree with it but I listen to a lot of sports talk radio and whether the hosts are dumb or not this is the truth) is Ryan Tannehill.

Or teams that had a QB drafted many years prior to the team's big success and that QB wasnt a huge reason why the team won.
Here's another question: How many Superbowl teams have their been where the QB was just not a big factor?
Remember Big Ben's first Superbowl win? I bet he doesnt cherish it. He played like Crap that day.
I think the idea that Miami cant win again until we have a 'franchise QB' (a young guy that develops into a star) is nonsense. We could get young FAs during the run and maybe at some point we get lucky with a guy drafted later than top 10.
Firstly, it's impossible to quantify 'franchise QB', 'wasn't a huge reason why the team won' or 'the QB was just not a big factor'.

Secondly, yes maybe we get lucky with a guy drafted later than the top 10, but we have more chance of getting lucky with a guy drafted earlier. We don't need to take a QB early, it's certainly no guarantee of success, but chances of finding a QB who plays better and sticks around for longer are greater if we do, and all the Tom Bradys, Russell Wilsons and Gardner Minshews aren't going to change that.

What we need to do is improve both quality and quantity. Unless you have one then if you can take a top guy, take one, but continue to take guys lower down as well. We've been doing neither.

The NFL goes in cycles. Something is introduced. Everyone copies. Teams adjust. Start again. The cycles tend to be about ten years. I think the first decade of the 21st century was dominated by elite QBs. Rodgers, brady, brees, manning, roethlisberger all won rings. Rule changes to pass game took defenses awhile to adjust.

I think the last decade has been dominated by defenses. Seattle, denver, new england, etc. Defenses went nickel and dine as their base defense basically and got smaller and faster to combat the pass

The question is what is the next trend. I think it's running backs. Looks like, this year, if you can't run you don't make playoffs. I think what happened is offensive coordinators realized if defenses are going tiny and fast we are going to go big and brutal. It's early so who knows but I would like us to get a franchise running back this year and start building that offensive line

Denver has 3 times, 2 with Elway and 1 with Peyton.
This is strangely true. Both men were elite QBs but not when they won those SBs. In fact, they were hot garbage. Manning was so broken he couldn’t complete a pass. Elway has a 34 QBR in the win over GB while Terrel Davis single handledly won the game. These men were awesome while losing SBs. It’s odd.

Back
Top Bottom