Supplemental Draft Questions | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Supplemental Draft Questions

phunwin said:
As I understand it, the supp. draft is done by weighted lottery, i.e. worst record gets the most chances at having the #1 pick.

Leinart reaffirmed his decision to stay at USC, even after Chow left. The problem is that Leinart would be foolish to go supplemental. The pay scale is up in the air, as opposed to being the top pick of the draft, which he almost certainly will be next year. If he comes out now, who knows what he's getting as a contract? If he comes out next year, take what Alex Smith gets and tack on 5-10%.

But, no GoPhins, it's not a stupid question, because that would be an ideal situation for us. I'm pretty sure we'd burn our 2006 #1 to grab him if the opportunity arose.

Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about this new agreement that they are talking about that will limit what the draft picks are getting paid? Any chance that that could change his mind? :)

Not that I just don't want to give up this fantasy. :D

P.S. And thanks for the article link, nice to see how it all works.

phunwin said:
I'm wrong; they DO use the draft order, not a weighted lottery.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668 (go about halfway down)

However, I remain convinced that it makes no financial sense for him to come out. The supp draft $ doesn't come out of the rookie pool, right? And even if it did, said pool has already been determined. Leinart would surely get a much lower contract now than if he came out next year.

Any idea how the new players union contract that they have said will limit contracts for draft picks will effect the amount of of the signings? Will it be a big change or just a little one. All of the speculation that that I have heard from the online articles and the talking heads on tv seem to indicate that it will be a big change.

If he would enter the supplemental draft I would also be willing to bet that the 49ers would get him and trade him or smith for next year first and second rounder. Many teams would line up willing to give up big on this guy he is a projected superstar... no quaterback in recent years has had his potential he is in the caliber of Vicks and Manning (at least that is the theory on him).

Matt Leinart is staying at USC, I thought I read where a couple of USC reserve DT's flunked out. Those guys are headed to the supplemental draft.

Back
Top Bottom