Supplemental draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Supplemental draft?

DreamWeaver

Corporate Time-Stealin' Weasel
Reaction score
Does anyone know when it is scheduled and who may be available? I know that Leinart was rumored to declare a few months back but I don't see that happening....Is there anyone else that could declare?

A few players declare every year, but a pick is rarely used in the supplemental draft. The main reason is that you have to forfeit the pick you use in the next draft. I don't see Saban using the Supplemental draft, because he doesn't want to lose picks next year.

For Leinart I could possibly see us sacrificing next years pick but for anyone else I agree with Kb there is no way Saban would do it. And since I doubt Leinart is going to declare for it we probably don't have to worry about the supplemental draft at all.

If Lienart were to declare for it (which he won't), what would keep the 49ers from taking him and holding him ransom for a trade? They would have first crack at him, right?

chirkware said:
If Lienart were to declare for it (which he won't), what would keep the 49ers from taking him and holding him ransom for a trade? They would have first crack at him, right?

that would be smart and dumb

What would keep the Niners from doing that is that they'd be wasting a pick on nothing. If I understand right, Matt will still be rehabbing from surgery (or was it injury?) at that point. He likely doesn't have any compelling financial reason that would pave the way for him to qualify. In the event he did declare, I would predict that he'd be a Brown. For one thing, we very well might not pick before them. For another, I'm not sure how many other teams would really want to pick him up. Most teams have their young QB of the future.

Back
Top Bottom