Supplemental Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Supplemental Draft

yankeehillbilly said:
Actually, I think I read somewhere that its a weighted lottery. The 6 worst teams get put in one group, non-playoff teams in another, and playoff teams last.
The lottery is weighted in that teams within each group get a number of "chances" corresponding with their ranking within their group.

For example, San Fran would get their name on 6 tickets put in a hat. Miami would get their name on 5, Cleveland 4, Chicago 3, Tampa 2, and Tenn would get only 1 ticket in the hat. Then the tickets are drawn to determine draft order. While SF would stand the highest chance of being drawn first, it is entirely possible that Tenn could get the #1 pick.
After the top six draft places are determined, the next groups are done the same way. Teams then state which rounds they are willing to use on which players in the draft. Whoever spends the highest round (and has the highest draft order if there is more than one team offering the same round pick) gets the player, but forfeits that round pick in the next general draft. If a team does not have a particular pick in the following year's draft, they cannot use that round in the supplemental draft.
I don't have a link because I think it was last year that I read about this.
If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

No your right that is the system except Cleveland gets as many chances as us. It's by record not by draft position...

yankeehillbilly said:
Actually, I think I read somewhere that its a weighted lottery. The 6 worst teams get put in one group, non-playoff teams in another, and playoff teams last.
The lottery is weighted in that teams within each group get a number of "chances" corresponding with their ranking within their group.

For example, San Fran would get their name on 6 tickets put in a hat. Miami would get their name on 5, Cleveland 4, Chicago 3, Tampa 2, and Tenn would get only 1 ticket in the hat. Then the tickets are drawn to determine draft order. While SF would stand the highest chance of being drawn first, it is entirely possible that Tenn could get the #1 pick.
After the top six draft places are determined, the next groups are done the same way. Teams then state which rounds they are willing to use on which players in the draft. Whoever spends the highest round (and has the highest draft order if there is more than one team offering the same round pick) gets the player, but forfeits that round pick in the next general draft. If a team does not have a particular pick in the following year's draft, they cannot use that round in the supplemental draft.
I don't have a link because I think it was last year that I read about this.
If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

found a link by john clayton

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2058341

"The NFL holds a supplemental draft in early July for players who aren't able to go in the regular April draft but became eligible before the start of the NFL regular season. It's a draft in which a three-step, weighted lottery determines the pick. Teams with six wins or less are placed together for the initial selection order, followed by another group of non-playoff teams and lastly the playoff teams."

Back
Top Bottom