Supplementing Factor On Why We Will See Improvement With Our Offense... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Supplementing Factor On Why We Will See Improvement With Our Offense...

FinaticalOne

DieHard FinFan 4 Life
Reaction score
of course the players we bring in via free agency and the draft will help make our team better, but there is one supplemental factor that everyone seems to ignore that will be a huge reason on why we will see improvement. They are...

1. The hiring of asst. head/quarterbacks coach Mark Trestman. This guy knows how to make an offense go, and he knows how to get the best out of his QBs. You will see a big improvement from our QBs with Trestman tutoring them.

2. The hiring of wide receivers coach Jerry Sullivan. Our Fins struck gold in hiring this guy. Sullivan will turn our WRs into better players and Chambers into a pro bowler in the near future. Derrius Thompson had a bad year, but I'm glad to see that he restructured because I believe he will benefit the most with Sullivan around. You will see instant improvement from him. Fans who spent a lot of time at training camp knows that Thompson was one of the most exciting players in camp last year. Sullivan will get that performance out of him come game day. I do hope we get one of the top WRs in the draft and use Thompson as our #3, because I think he would more dangerous there.

3. The unexpected promotion of Joel Collier may turn out to be a very good signing as well. Although having a guy in this position with no previous experience makes me a little worried. I've read published comments from other coaches and colleagues that know him, and it has eased my anxieties I've had about his promotion. I've learned that he is very capable of being a successful offensive coordinator in the NFL. Since this is the job he always wanted, I believe we have an eager and motivated coach who will put his stamp on our offense. Even though Collier is the man who will run our offense, Trestman and Sullivan (both former offensive coordinators) will help make Collier's transition much smoother. Plus we will have an advantage, because no one has tape on an Collier led offense. This should be interesting to see how it unviels. I'm sure it won't be a completely different offense, but I think he won't be as predictable as Turner was, because no one knows his tendecies.

It seems like everyone on this board fails to realize that these "behind the scenes" hirings are going to be vital in making our offense better. And 2 of the 3 hirings (Trestman and Sullivan) are major upgrades that will vastly improve the positions they are responsible for and the positions that they are responsible for, we all agree need help.

So what do you guys think?

Also, free agency is right around the corner and before it's all said and done. I'm hoping we have Damien Woody and Chris Villarel here. If someone signs O-Gun away from us, then we draft 1a) WR and 1b) Vernon Carey.

Go Fins!!!!

Good Post
I was wondering why TRESTMAN isn't going to be the OC though.

Good points!! Let me ask you with sullivan coming in what chance do we have to grab Boston??? He was great with Sullivan in AZ. Can you imagine, Boston, CC and Woods/Evans etc???:eek: I could be qb then.

i couldn't agree with you more.. your right on the money.. although i'm not sure about carey.. alot of question are starting to arise about him.. teams seem to be backing off.. he didn't wow anyone either at the miami pro day on saturday either.. miami may be able to trade down and pick up extra picks before drafting him in round one...

Originally posted by SurtainRulz23
Good Post
I was wondering why TRESTMAN isn't going to be the OC though.

Because when Trestman is an OC, he runs the West Coast offense, and if I'm not mistaken the consensus was that the team didn't want to switch to that.

Originally posted by FinaticalOne
of course the players we bring in via free agency and the draft will help make our team better, but there is one supplemental factor that everyone seems to ignore that will be a huge reason on why we will see improvement. They are...

1. The hiring of asst. head/quarterbacks coach Mark Trestman. This guy knows how to make an offense go, and he knows how to get the best out of his QBs. You will see a big improvement from our QBs with Trestman tutoring them.

2. The hiring of wide receivers coach Jerry Sullivan. Our Fins struck gold in hiring this guy. Sullivan will turn our WRs into better players and Chambers into a pro bowler in the near future. Derrius Thompson had a bad year, but I'm glad to see that he restructured because I believe he will benefit the most with Sullivan around. You will see instant improvement from him. Fans who spent a lot of time at training camp knows that Thompson was one of the most exciting players in camp last year. Sullivan will get that performance out of him come game day. I do hope we get one of the top WRs in the draft and use Thompson as our #3, because I think he would more dangerous there.

3. The unexpected promotion of Joel Collier may turn out to be a very good signing as well. Although having a guy in this position with no previous experience makes me a little worried. I've read published comments from other coaches and colleagues that know him, and it has eased my anxieties I've had about his promotion. I've learned that he is very capable of being a successful offensive coordinator in the NFL. Since this is the job he always wanted, I believe we have an eager and motivated coach who will put his stamp on our offense. Even though Collier is the man who will run our offense, Trestman and Sullivan (both former offensive coordinators) will help make Collier's transition much smoother. Plus we will have an advantage, because no one has tape on an Collier led offense. This should be interesting to see how it unviels. I'm sure it won't be a completely different offense, but I think he won't be as predictable as Turner was, because no one knows his tendecies.

It seems like everyone on this board fails to realize that these "behind the scenes" hirings are going to be vital in making our offense better. And 2 of the 3 hirings (Trestman and Sullivan) are major upgrades that will vastly improve the positions they are responsible for and the positions that they are responsible for, we all agree need help.

So what do you guys think?

Also, free agency is right around the corner and before it's all said and done. I'm hoping we have Damien Woody and Chris Villarel here. If someone signs O-Gun away from us, then we draft 1a) WR and 1b) Vernon Carey.

Go Fins!!!!

Awesome.

That was one of THE BEST posts I've read in a long time. You are absolutely correct. These hirings will certainly help. Trestman and Sullivan were both very productive prior to coming to Miami....

Trestman with Oakland / Sullivan with Cards. Both were very good hirings....

New OC J. Collier is very capable. He'll bring a similar Norv philosophy, with his own extra added kick. He's very intelligent, and has all the tools needed. The players really like this guy as well. I think he'll be a very good OC....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Originally posted by dreadlockera
Good points!! Let me ask you with sullivan coming in what chance do we have to grab Boston??? He was great with Sullivan in AZ. Can you imagine, Boston, CC and Woods/Evans etc???:eek: I could be qb then.

:evil: Boston and CC would be a deadly combo.

I don't think it will happen, but I'm sure Boston's name has come out of Sullivan's mouth when WR options are discussed among the coaches. Anything is possible though. ;)

Last edited:
I also think the new WR coach could really help develop Tolver this year into a good #3 possession WR.

Originally posted by DOLFAN91
i couldn't agree with you more.. your right on the money.. although i'm not sure about carey.. alot of question are starting to arise about him.. teams seem to be backing off.. he didn't wow anyone either at the miami pro day on saturday either.. miami may be able to trade down and pick up extra picks before drafting him in round one...

I haven't been following up on Carey since the Canes season ended. I just figured he'll be around after the 20th pick. If his pro day wasn't that good , then I would look for a better option with that 1b pick. Thanks for the update 91. :cool:

Originally posted by zachseau13
I also think the new WR coach could really help develop Tolver this year into a good #3 possession WR.

Great point. I forgot about Tolver. He has great hands.

I agree the coaching changes should help, but untill I see a new LT, and a guard that can get some real movement on the oline this offense scares me. Our roster right now has the worst o-line the NFL. That isn't good when you have an average QB, and mediocre core of WRs. Of course there is alot of time to improve this, but untill I see upgrade on the oline I am very sceptacle.

i dont understand whats wrong with wade smith? he did pretty darn good for a rookie and will emerge as a solid starter.

do you know how many penalties were called on him in 16 games? huh huh? do ya? I do.... ZERO! quite an impressive number I would say.

if anything we'll be better just cuz we couldn't be much worse :(

and i do like the coaching changes and i think our personnel will improve so i have my hopes up. and with most of our defense in tact i think we'll come out a much better team next year.

Back
Top Bottom