surtain at the end of game????` | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

surtain at the end of game????`

stan marino

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Im curious what happened on the play where Lelie got past surtain for a 30 yard gainer and almost cost us the game??? Was Surtain playin some kinda short zone?? It looked like he let the guy get past him. Im just curious if it was some sort of play call or was he just beat that badly???

Yeah i was just curious about it cuz it looked like he let him go...was a safety supposed to get him? just bored curiousity, im not the most knowledgeable football person, specially when it comes down to the x's and o's.

I seem to remember him responding after the game with a read-between-the-lines "I play the defense that is called" kind of statement. Leads me to assume that a safety missed an assignment or Bates called the wrong D. That said, responsibility or not, Surtain is too much of a stud vet to have let Lelie go free down the sidelines that late in the game. He should have stayed with the go route regardless.

But hey! What does it matter? That was last eek. Surtain played an otherwise fantastic game, and we won! I just hope that he keeps up the good work next week. We'll certainly need him to....

Bates called a lot of wrong defenses. After he blitzed and got a sack in the first quarter, he did not let up.....and not only did it fail (as usual), but it left big holes in coverage.

Remember that 53(?)-yard swing pass to Mike Anderson?? Came on an all-out, 7-man blitz in which Bates sent all 3 LBs. And as a result, only Patrick Surtain (who was blocked by Rod Smith) was only Dolphin remotely in the vicinity of Mike Anderson.

from what I remember of the play, Pat blew it looking into the backfield and letting Lelie slip past him and then Griese made a nice throw to make him pay for it :(

Originally posted by dolphan39
from what I remember of the play, Pat blew it looking into the backfield and letting Lelie slip past him and then Griese made a nice throw to make him pay for it :(

I think thats what happend too. He was looking into the backfield when he should've been keepin' an eye on Lelie.

Back
Top Bottom