Surtain/Buchanon? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surtain/Buchanon?

Buchanon has been good, but if he's worth a second and a third then Surtain is worth at least that. Buchanon is still largely unproven.

And Surtain has been one of the healthiest players in the league. He missed 4 games in his career - please, for the love of God, explain to me how that qualifies as a "nasty knee injury."

I think that is fair Value for Buchanan, he is a very good young player, young players don't come cheap and good young players are very expensive. If Surtain is worth a 2nd, then Buchanan is worth at least 2nd & 3rd. Surtain has had injury problems, is closing in on 30 and is on the decline in my opinion, still a very good player, but isn't going to get any better. Buchanan is young and full of potential, can still improve his game, and is a game breaker. 7td's in 3 years, surtain has 2td's in 7 years. First 3 years surtain had 9 int.'s 84 yards off int's. Buchanan has 11 int's 326 yards off int's, in his first 3 years and he had only played 6 games his first year and surtain played all 16 his first 3 years.

finsnchips said:
Buchanon is 23 and under contract.

Pat is 28, has had a nasty knee injury and would require an 8 figure signing bonus along with a huge contract.

Yeah, I forgot, was it 2002 that he missed all year with that nasty knee injury, or was it 2003, I forget. Anyway, Man it was horrible, I know I personally didn't think he would ever play again, it was painful to watch.

Let's see, I am sure there are some UM Faithfuls that are just looking at PB's Miami record, him being a first round draft pick, and him having decent return numbers, but are you kidding me people. PB and Pat are not in the same League. When the best QB in the League says Pat is the best cover corner in the League, ummm, yeah that says something. When QB's find a way to throw away from you, that says something. If anyone would take PB over Pat, throwing Money, Draft Pick, Age factors in, I would wish your team good luck. Maybe we should trade our #2 overall for Mike Rumph, he was a first round, UM, corner.

Oh, and one more thing, I believe PB has missed more games in his "Young" Career then Pat his in his "Old" Career.

Phinsdude said:
Oh, and one more thing, I believe PB has missed more games in his "Young" Career then Pat his in his "Old" Career.

Good point and PS is not old! He's turning 29 in June. There are alot of CB's who have played into their mid-30s. One can reasonably expect at least 3 or 4 more productive years at his current excellent to elite level of play.

Buchanon is a super star in the wrong situation, he has more pure talent than Surtain, much younger.

Now that wouldnt be biased because youre probably a UM fan now is it :shakeno:

Sometimes these types of things blow my mind. There's really no question that Surtain is the superior cornerback. Surtain was never burned repeatedly by Brett Favre, for example.

It's also completely ridiculous to suggest that a younger player with "potential" has more value than a proven older player. For example, Surtain will be 29, and has 7 years of experience. Buchanon will be 25 and has 3 years of experience. A quarterback with a lot of potential but not a lot of NFL success is David Carr, who will be 26 with 3 years of experience. Peyton Manning, a proven QB, will be 29 and have 7 years of experience. To suggest that Carr is worth more than Manning is utterly ridiculous.

Well...it's now official...we need to get at least a 2 and 3 for Pat Surtain.....

As for the cane jock sniffers.......Phillip Buchanon couldn't carry Surtain's jock strap with Warren Sapp's Humvee.

I am a buckeye fan, not a canes fan for the record. Pat is a great cornerback, but he has already peaked, His Stat line and Buchanan's stat line from last year are almost identical, but that doesn't take in to consideration the amount of passes that were thrown at each Corner and what not. I am just saying that young players are worth alot more than older players, there will many young players being taken in the first round paid more money to ride a bench than many veterans who start every game and play very well. Pat is a better corner right now then buchanan by leaps and bounds, but will he be next year or 3 years from now, I doubt it, I thought Pat was the one who didn't work at keeping himself in great shape and was getting by on his natural ability, so likely he will not be a Darrell Green or Deon Sanders playing well into there 30's.

guys lets be real it was the Texans who t raded for him and they overpay for everyone! Look at morlon greenwood and todd smith for example they just overpay so we cant expect to get more than a second unless the texans want another cb lol!

Too bad Saban didn't send Ricky to Oakland for Buchanon. While I'm sure Al Davis would rather have draft picks than druggies, the allure of a player who has shown to be such an absolute head case may have been too much for Al to resist!

Back
Top Bottom