Surtain fined for hit on Rod Smith | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surtain fined for hit on Rod Smith

I would agree with that take. I don't think that football players should be fined for playing aggressive football. If you go over the middle, you pay for it. Receivers being afraid to go over the middle is part of the game.

Except for 2 major points.

1.Surtains hit was perfectly legal as defined by the rulebook. Face up, wrapped arms, it was a text book tackle

2.Kennedys hit was illegal, a total cheap shot by a classless player who has lead with the crown of his helmet in an attempt to lay a big hit, NOT a tackle, on a defenseless WR.

Excuses be damned. Play hard, Play fair, Everybody wins. End of story

Originally posted by DPlus47
i thought that was weak of the NFL tonight guys to show replays of what Surtain did and compare that to kennedy. Surtain was trying to make legitimate tackles, while kennedy was clearly trying to lower his head and use his helmet as a weapon. those guys who played in the league can't tell the difference between a guy making a tackle which includes incidental helmet to helmet contact and a guy launching himself, head lowered, into a player in midair? and the broncos appealing, saying he was trying to hit him in the chest--i can remember "spearing with the helmet" being a penalty in the nfl for a long time now, at least back to the early '80's. what does it matter where the helmet lands--if you're using it as a weapon, you're going to get punished. kennedy could just as easily have broken his own neck on the play. a suspension should give him some quiet time to think about that.

thats all right, kennedy will do it again, and when he does it will be against one of their teams guys and then they wil all of a sudden change theire minds.

Originally posted by Taco John
I would agree with that take. I don't think that football players should be fined for playing aggressive football. If you go over the middle, you pay for it. Receivers being afraid to go over the middle is part of the game.

How bout recievers not being able to go over teh middle cus the cb covering them is so good that he jams them at teh line of scrimmage so he cant go anywhere?

this has been really pissing me off all week. kennedy should be suspended. shanahan should shut his trap and teach his players proper tackleing techniques. the team should let it rest-actually i hope they don't, i would love to see the league take action against the whole team!

if kennedy continues this type of play, he is a danger to himself as well as others. in the replay, you can see that his hands and arms are against his chest. leading solely with his head. he was clearly trying to do damage regardless of were he intended to hit. regardless if walker pushed chambers head forward into the block.

in my opinion, shanahan should be addressed for this as well. trying to move the focus of this issue to walker instead of dealing with kennedy. he has been fined twice before, clearly indicating there is a problem with this kid. and shanahan has a history of trying to redirect the blame and focus ( remember the many incidents of romo as well as sharpe's lazer tongue ). this is why i will never think of him as a truely great coach.

as for surtain, if he used any part of his helmet from the facemask up, weather intentional or not, then he should be penalized as well. but i just can't help but think this is a get back action.

I have a question for Taco that has nothing to do with this thread. Do many players from other teams do the mile high salute after scoring in Denver? Or was Ricky one of the first? I am not trying to insult you or your team just curious.

I wouldn't say many players do it... But it happens on occasion.

The MHS was a TD thing, and sadly, it appears it retires with him. I always liked it, because it says a lot by doing a little. TD was sure a great guy to have.

As far as Kennedy goes, I like the guy. He hits hard and makes defenders think twice before they go over the middle. Any money he loses now will be made up in the signing bonus we give the kid. I just thank God that I had a chance to watch the greats like Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater play before they wussified the league. Now each week, when there's a big hit, there are just as many people crying foul as there are lauding the hit.

If you go over the middle, you pay for it. Receivers being afraid to go over the middle is part of the game.

The MHS was a TD thing, and sadly, it appears it retires with him. I always liked it, because it says a lot by doing a little. TD was sure a great guy to have.

As far as Kennedy goes, I like the guy. He hits hard and makes defenders think twice before they go over the middle. Any money he loses now will be made up in the signing bonus we give the kid. I just thank God that I had a chance to watch the greats like Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater play before they wussified the league. Now each week, when there's a big hit, there are just as many people crying foul as there are lauding the hit.

If you go over the middle, you pay for it. Receivers being afraid to go over the middle is part of the game.

Players are simply bigger/faster etc. I'm sorry but how fun would it be to watch backups playing?

Heck the phins are playing this week without their starting QB, their #2 WR, possibly #1 WR, possibly their starting LT.

I pay to watch the greats play. Not the backups.

I agree that the hit is a part of football, and illegal part but you have such little time to figure out what is going on it is hard to say that anyone is out to hurt someone. The thing that got me livid was how the fans reacted. You have to admit they acted with no class. It is an unwritten law that if a player goes down you don't cheer, or scream in any fashion. I have been to many live games and have never seen a crowd get as loud as Denver was Sunday when a player was on the turf, especialy with a head injury.

even in the days of lott and atwater spearing was illegal. those guys used their arms and took your head off. my point was not against the kid, just he needs to learn the proper way or he or another player may get hurt. shanahan should know better and take care of this thing. it has become way too public.

oh yea, the denver fans acted like raider and bills fans when this happened. i always thought they had more class.

The bottom line is, whether Kennedy meant to hit Chambers in the helmet or not, he was leading with the CROWN of his helmet, in violation not only of NFL rules but also the rules that are pounded into all players from Pewee League on up...SEE WHAT YOU HIT.
You can BS about Surtain's hit on Smith all you want, but his head was up and his eyes were on Smith the whole time. Kennedy put his head down and launched himself. He got off easy.

I disagree.

As far as the fans go, they were booing because your guy shoved our guy when he tried to go apologize. You guys can get all indignant about that if you want... It's no worry to me. I think it's clear that the fans weren't booing the guy on the mat. It doesn't bother me in the least that Dolphins fans are all sensitive about that. I find it to be pretty silly.

As far as Kennedy leading with the crown of his head, that's an exaggeration. Your guy came down at a funny angle. Had he not come down like that, Kennedy's face mask would be in the middle of his chest.

But even still it doesn't matter. It's over, and I could care less anymore. I've already ordered my Kennedy jersey, and we're getting pumped up because it's clear we've got a hard hitter to continue the Denver tradition of hard hitting safeties.

BTW... Sorry to hear about Gadsen... I really like that guy, and its sad to hear there won't be any more Gadsen highlights on Sportscenter this year.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Dude your no better and I'm ashamed to have you here as a phin fan. Your cheering over on the bills board over winfield's injury. Don't be a hypocrite when your just as bad. At least Taco doesn't swear and cheer on injuries. He's a solid guy.

Thanks VanDolphan................You should read some of the garbage ECHO posts over at Billszone. I hate the dolphins as much as all of you hate the Bills but I don't want to see anyone hurt.

Guys this isn;t true. Your trying to tell me that this happened and NO miami, Denver, ESPN, or NFL.com picked up on it?? I think Gene made a mistake. There is no way that it is not reported ion the media. Not after all the big deal about Kennedy's hit.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, eh?

It's right there on the Dan Patrick show... Gene Washington levied the fine... He would know.

Back
Top Bottom