Take a step back - Where we stand | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Take a step back - Where we stand

NewCoachPlease

Starter
Reaction score
The way I see it we have 4 glaring holes currently on the roster. We need help at QB, WR, OL and a pass rusher. Coming into the offseason we obviously did not have the WR hole so we created an additional hole. I guess signing that CB from Arizona helped shore up the secondary and resigning Solai prevented us from needing D lineman. I think we need to address 2 of these 4 remaining big holes in free agency to feel comfortable come draft time. I don't think their are any WR out there so that one will have to come from the early rounds of the draft. That leaves QB, OL and pass rusher. At QB it depends on your opinion of Flynn. If we sign him then obviously we won't go QB early in the draft, and if not then there is a very good chance we go after Tannenhill. I personally would like to sign an O lineman so we don't need to spend any first 3 round picks on the OL and I would like to sign someone like Anderson to be a pass rusher so we don't have to draft one in the first 2 rounds. Then in the draft I would go Tannenhill if he is there in round 1 or WR if he is not. In round 2 we could go WR or QB depending on what we did in round 1. I would even go with another WR/TE and maybe a pass rusher with our 2 third round picks. I would be happy coming out of the first 3 rounds with 2 WRs, a QB, and a pass rusher or TE.

I don't necessarily consider OLine a "glaring" hole like some do, but it is something that we need to address. Draft/Cuts/FA's . . . I think that combined with a few of the guys already on the team we'll be fine there. Last thing we need to do is invest another big contract on this line.

The Richard Marshall signing was a good when because I think FS was a major hole that needed to get sured up and Marshall is a guy who excelled in that roll last year for Arizona, to the point where their Defensive Coordinator called him the MVP of the team. He was expendable tho because they were already cap strapped and they have Kerry Rhodes signed.

We still need a nickel CB, and I'm hoping we take a long look at Jayron Hosley in the draft. I have seen more than enough of Hosley watching the ACC to know he has the goods. He would also upgrade our punt return situation.

I still think we get Matt Flynn, so QB will be officially addressed for this offseason when that happens. We could draft a guy as well but I think Devlin could fit well under Philbin/Sherman. I think a sneaky pick could be Kellen Moore late in the draft. He doesn't have the arm strength to ever be considered a franchise QB (which some would ask why groom him then) but man if you got into an injury situation, he is a guy I think that could come in and really run your teams offense with some success. Accurate, great anticipation . . . He is a good guy to have for teams that have young franchise QB's on their roster already.

WR - Everybody knows I really, really like Michael Floyd . . . big time WR, all of the ability you could ask for and personally I think he'll make alot of people forget about Brandon Marshall sooner than later. I'd take him at #8 and never look back, he is gonna be a good one.

Pass Rusher - I sure would love the Anderson signing, as a situational pass rusher. Our DLine is already set, but we need a guy who can get to the QB on 3rd down. Again, we don't need to reach for a guy at 8 and we don't need a Mario Williams . . . we just need option to put some heat on the QB to get the defense off the field. I actually wouldn't mind a Bruce Irvin type either in the draft.

TE - Gotta believe we add another TE, I would love Fleener but Egnew would be that big athletic type we could show some interest in. Also it wouldn't shock me if Philbin reaches out to Green Bay and trades for a guy in that logjam they have at the position.

I think we just need to get this QB situation resolved and then moving on will be alot easier.

I don't necessarily consider OLine a "glaring" hole like some do, but it is something that we need to address. Draft/Cuts/FA's . . . I think that combined with a few of the guys already on the team we'll be fine there. Last thing we need to do is invest another big contract on this line.

The Richard Marshall signing was a good when because I think FS was a major hole that needed to get sured up and Marshall is a guy who excelled in that roll last year for Arizona, to the point where their Defensive Coordinator called him the MVP of the team. He was expendable tho because they were already cap strapped and they have Kerry Rhodes signed.

We still need a nickel CB, and I'm hoping we take a long look at Jayron Hosley in the draft. I have seen more than enough of Hosley watching the ACC to know he has the goods. He would also upgrade our punt return situation.

I still think we get Matt Flynn, so QB will be officially addressed for this offseason when that happens. We could draft a guy as well but I think Devlin could fit well under Philbin/Sherman. I think a sneaky pick could be Kellen Moore late in the draft. He doesn't have the arm strength to ever be considered a franchise QB (which some would ask why groom him then) but man if you got into an injury situation, he is a guy I think that could come in and really run your teams offense with some success. Accurate, great anticipation . . . He is a good guy to have for teams that have young franchise QB's on their roster already.

WR - Everybody knows I really, really like Michael Floyd . . . big time WR, all of the ability you could ask for and personally I think he'll make alot of people forget about Brandon Marshall sooner than later. I'd take him at #8 and never look back, he is gonna be a good one.

Pass Rusher - I sure would love the Anderson signing, as a situational pass rusher. Our DLine is already set, but we need a guy who can get to the QB on 3rd down. Again, we don't need to reach for a guy at 8 and we don't need a Mario Williams . . . we just need option to put some heat on the QB to get the defense off the field. I actually wouldn't mind a Bruce Irvin type either in the draft.

TE - Gotta believe we add another TE, I would love Fleener but Egnew would be that big athletic type we could show some interest in. Also it wouldn't shock me if Philbin reaches out to Green Bay and trades for a guy in that logjam they have at the position.

I think we just need to get this QB situation resolved and then moving on will be alot easier.

Mostly agree with this. Floyd wouldn't be my first pick, but especially with the departure of Marshall, would make LOTS of sense, and I agree most (Except for the few that have pitch-forks permanently welded to their hands) would forget about B-marsh and the baggage that is attached.

I think we do still have glaring holes along the Right side of the line. Maybe, just maybe Jerry can show up and do as I predicted he would. Murtha? Maybe...but I don't think so. Have to part ways with Vern Carey and obviously the turnstyle we had at RT last year.

I also love the Anderson signing if it happens. THIS is the type of FA signing we need to be making. 3 or 4 signings like that >>>>> than signing Mario to a cap buster.

TE- Fleener would absolutely FLOURISH under Philbin and his system. Keep Fasano and add Fleener and we are officially SET there IMHO.

As for bringing in the guy to back up the guy at QB. We already have that in Matt Moore. Give this kid a chance, he had none last year and still did pretty damn well.

Mostly agree with this. Floyd wouldn't be my first pick, but especially with the departure of Marshall, would make LOTS of sense, and I agree most (Except for the few that have pitch-forks permanently welded to their hands) would forget about B-marsh and the baggage that is attached.

I think we do still have glaring holes along the Right side of the line. Maybe, just maybe Jerry can show up and do as I predicted he would. Murtha? Maybe...but I don't think so. Have to part ways with Vern Carey and obviously the turnstyle we had at RT last year.

I also love the Anderson signing if it happens. THIS is the type of FA signing we need to be making. 3 or 4 signings like that >>>>> than signing Mario to a cap buster.

TE- Fleener would absolutely FLOURISH under Philbin and his system. Keep Fasano and add Fleener and we are officially SET there IMHO.

As for bringing in the guy to back up the guy at QB. We already have that in Matt Moore. Give this kid a chance, he had none last year and still did pretty damn well.

I was a big Chad Henne fan, and I wish him well in Jacksonville, but I loved the way Matt Moore came in, the touch he showed on his deep passes, some of the same toughness that Chad Henne showed over the years and I became a fan. With only one year left on his contract, even if we sign Flynn, we need to draft a QB somewhere in this draft. Miami has to start building competition at the QB spot until they have a definitieve answer and we also need to make sure we have competent guys to come in if our starter goes down.

I don't wanna seem like I'm understating the line, I know we need to address it, but with the switch to more of a ZBS, it is more important to find fits for the system and having the group work together to form a strong unit over getting studs at every position. I think when you have your LT and your OC . . . you probably have the 2 most critical pieces in place, but yea I'm expecting after 3 rounds we will have an OL on that list.

WR is such a big hole right now man, we know they sat down with Floyd at the combine and we also know at that time they were already shopping Brandon Marshall. I know this is smokescreen season, but I'm thinking they gotta have a little interest there.

I absolutely love Michael Floyd as well (see post in Draft Forum) and think he will be a superstar in the NFL. He obviously needs to stop drinking and that could be a red flag that sees him going elsewhere. Egnew is nice as well and could be had in round 2. Another possibility could be trading down in round 1 and getting Coby Fleener, one of my favorite players in this draft. He would be such a great fit in Philibin's offense. I am a little concerned that Miami is visiting with Alex Smith. I've seen enough of him to feel he is not the qb this team needs to sign. If the Dolphins come out of free agency without a qb, then all bets are off and the team needs to trade up if necessary to get Ryan Tannehill.

I absolutely love Michael Floyd as well (see post in Draft Forum) and think he will be a superstar in the NFL. He obviously needs to stop drinking and that could be a red flag that sees him going elsewhere. Egnew is nice as well and could be had in round 2. Another possibility could be trading down in round 1 and getting Coby Fleener, one of my favorite players in this draft. He would be such a great fit in Philibin's offense. I am a little concerned that Miami is visiting with Alex Smith. I've seen enough of him to feel he is not the qb this team needs to sign. If the Dolphins come out of free agency without a qb, then all bets are off and the team needs to trade up if necessary to get Ryan Tannehill.

Yea I agree, if Miami doesn't get a QB they really need to get Tannehill. If you like him if you had a late first rounder, you gotta like him at 8. Good size, very athletic, developed under Sherman who is OC is now . . . I honestly I think if we sign Flynn that Tannehill could still be in play and it is probably a reason why we aren't sold on giving a load of money to Flynn. Unlike others I think that says less about Flynn and more about the potential they see in Tannehill. I dunno, it does feel like a reach, but if he becomes our franchise guy it will feel like we gotta steal considering the Redskins gave up 3 first rounders and a 2nd for their guy . . . and honestly do we know who is going to be better in the NFL?

Should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom