Tale of the tape: JR Tolver | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tale of the tape: JR Tolver

EGDolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Though it wasn't much, I reviewed a couple partial games of our new rookie WR JR Tolver, who has been tearing it up in the minicamps. The following is a (hopefully) brief analysis of Tolver's play during the games I reviewed:

TAPE #1: 1999...vs Wyoming...Quarters: 3-4 (in on about 11 plays)...was not starting as freshman but still played a lot in game...was #80 as freshman, changed to #16 later (don't know why)

Positives: looked big and athletic for a red-shirt freshman...good route running, average speed...was target in endzone but was overthrown

Negatives: moved on false start...stutter-stepped before going into pattern despite not being covered at line of scrimmage

Critique: Tolver didn't stand out in this game but for being a red-shirt freshman, I thought that he had the look of a seasoned collegian (if that is possible). Made some "freshman" type mistakes in stutter-stepping and the false start.

TAPE #2: 2002...vs Colorado St...Quarters: 1-2 (28 plays)...starter and leading in receptions nationally (I think)

Positives: good movement after the catch, thinks downfield and first-down marker first...runs patterns the same all the time (running and passing downs)...typically plays wide-out (vs slot) receiver...good downfield fake on one curl...made good TD catch by shielding CB from ball, good concentration even though the DB slapped the ball...great body fake on sideline curl that gained 8 YAC yards and first down...good hands all around...good swim move to get by tight coverage at LOS

Negatives: problems with downfield blocking...gave up early on block and his man made the tackle...missed on a cut block on a DB...complained to refs a couple times to no avail (a whinner?)...still stutter steps occasionally

Critique: Tolver was a very good possession-type WR in this game...great route running and finds open seams in the secondary. He caught several balls underneath and did a good job getting YAC and first downs. I had heard he had problems at the LOS with press coverage but his swim move to get by the DB was a classical veteran move that would have worked in the NFL also. Seems to consistently take a stutter step or half step backwards before heading downfield.

TAPE #3: 2003...East-West Shrine Game (first half...16 plays)...did not start but played more than half of first half

Positives: made a great fake when he jumped up on fake quick screen on draw play that netted first down...made a somewhat diving catch over the middle...good use of hands at LOS to get separation...good at negotiating traffic behind LBs in crossing pattern...good body position at sealing off DB on run...good downfield block on LB on screen play that yielded TD

Negatives: still stutter-steps at LOS, unlike other WRs on field...a bit slower than other WRs in game

Critique: Glad to see that he did a better job of downfield blocking in this game...perhaps the spector of a national audience (not to mention many NFL scouts) made him concentrate more on his blocking. Did good job over the middle of the field at getting open and catching the ball. Speed, or lack thereof, was evident compared to other WRs (namely Nate Burlson).

OVERALL ANALYSIS: Showed much more talent (and production) than the average 5th round pick at WR. Has great hands, great body control, and works well over the middle of the field. He has better abilities than the experts have noted at dealing with jams at the LOS. Could work on getting off the LOS faster and his blocking could be more consistent.

When compared to our other recent WR draft picks, Tolver reminds me a bit of Brian Manning in that he makes some great catches and is reliable at getting first downs...but he has more talent than Manning did (faster and more fluid). Tolver was more productive in college than any of our WR draft picks so we should know what we are getting in him.

The main question I have is that despite not being that fast, Tolver was so productive in college and he shows all of the abilities needed in a possession-type WR in the NFL...that he should have been drafted much higher than he was. I guess it shows that the NFL is more enamored with the big and fast WRs that they overlook the consistent ones that aren't as big or fast.

My feeling is that Tolver will stick on the roster this year and could be the 3rd down WR (and maybe even start) in years to come (ala OJ McDuffie).

Has anyone else noticed if Tolver has a "stutter-step" or rocks backwards after the ball is snapped, before he goes out in his pattern, during any of the minicamps?

Originally posted by EGDolfan
Though it wasn't much, I reviewed a couple partial games of our new rookie WR JR Tolver, who has been tearing it up in the minicamps. The following is a (hopefully) brief analysis of Tolver's play during the games I reviewed:

TAPE #1: 1999...vs Wyoming...Quarters: 3-4 (in on about 11 plays)...was not starting as freshman but still played a lot in game...was #80 as freshman, changed to #16 later (don't know why)

Positives: looked big and athletic for a red-shirt freshman...good route running, average speed...was target in endzone but was overthrown

Negatives: moved on false start...stutter-stepped before going into pattern despite not being covered at line of scrimmage

Critique: Tolver didn't stand out in this game but for being a red-shirt freshman, I thought that he had the look of a seasoned collegian (if that is possible). Made some "freshman" type mistakes in stutter-stepping and the false start.

TAPE #2: 2002...vs Colorado St...Quarters: 1-2 (28 plays)...starter and leading in receptions nationally (I think)

Positives: good movement after the catch, thinks downfield and first-down marker first...runs patterns the same all the time (running and passing downs)...typically plays wide-out (vs slot) receiver...good downfield fake on one curl...made good TD catch by shielding CB from ball, good concentration even though the DB slapped the ball...great body fake on sideline curl that gained 8 YAC yards and first down...good hands all around...good swim move to get by tight coverage at LOS

Negatives: problems with downfield blocking...gave up early on block and his man made the tackle...missed on a cut block on a DB...complained to refs a couple times to no avail (a whinner?)...still stutter steps occasionally

Critique: Tolver was a very good possession-type WR in this game...great route running and finds open seams in the secondary. He caught several balls underneath and did a good job getting YAC and first downs. I had heard he had problems at the LOS with press coverage but his swim move to get by the DB was a classical veteran move that would have worked in the NFL also. Seems to consistently take a stutter step or half step backwards before heading downfield.

TAPE #3: 2003...East-West Shrine Game (first half...16 plays)...did not start but played more than half of first half

Positives: made a great fake when he jumped up on fake quick screen on draw play that netted first down...made a somewhat diving catch over the middle...good use of hands at LOS to get separation...good at negotiating traffic behind LBs in crossing pattern...good body position at sealing off DB on run...good downfield block on LB on screen play that yielded TD

Negatives: still stutter-steps at LOS, unlike other WRs on field...a bit slower than other WRs in game

Critique: Glad to see that he did a better job of downfield blocking in this game...perhaps the spector of a national audience (not to mention many NFL scouts) made him concentrate more on his blocking. Did good job over the middle of the field at getting open and catching the ball. Speed, or lack thereof, was evident compared to other WRs (namely Nate Burlson).

OVERALL ANALYSIS: Showed much more talent (and production) than the average 5th round pick at WR. Has great hands, great body control, and works well over the middle of the field. He has better abilities than the experts have noted at dealing with jams at the LOS. Could work on getting off the LOS faster and his blocking could be more consistent.

When compared to our other recent WR draft picks, Tolver reminds me a bit of Brian Manning in that he makes some great catches and is reliable at getting first downs...but he has more talent than Manning did (faster and more fluid). Tolver was more productive in college than any of our WR draft picks so we should know what we are getting in him.

The main question I have is that despite not being that fast, Tolver was so productive in college and he shows all of the abilities needed in a possession-type WR in the NFL...that he should have been drafted much higher than he was. I guess it shows that the NFL is more enamored with the big and fast WRs that they overlook the consistent ones that aren't as big or fast.

My feeling is that Tolver will stick on the roster this year and could be the 3rd down WR (and maybe even start) in years to come (ala OJ McDuffie).

thanks man. it was much for a guy like me who is receiver crazy. now that i hear what you're saying, it gives me a better idea of how tolver plays.

Thanks for the update, I think you are right the NFL has gotten away form the small possesion reciever, they want the big guys!! I hope he does stick . I have always liked the underdog!!!

I can't wait to see him in preseason.

Ozzy rules!!

Good job as always. Who was covering him in the Shrine game? That would give us an idea of the quality of competition he played against.

Back
Top Bottom