Tampa writer says Hickey hire will produce a 10-12 year downward spiral for Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tampa writer says Hickey hire will produce a 10-12 year downward spiral for Miami

Bucs beat writer Rick Stroud also didn't have good things to say about Hickey during an interview on 790. Bucs writers seem shocked he got the job.

Well we have been ****ty for 10-12 years how much of a downward spiral can it be?!?

i'd listen to tony dungy before a tampa beat writer, or two.

Tony Dungy is in the saying nice things about people business. I don't listen to any of them.

For what it's worth, I heard something interesting about Hickey that leads me to believe that the Tampa writers may want to bash him more for personal reasons than professional ones. My understanding is that he had a very, very contentious relationship with the press.

I still don't like the hire, but I don't necessarily think the Tampa media is very objective in this matter. He apparently burned some bridges there.

just hiring him doomed us to 6-10 before he even entered the building! until, like, 2035!

Why? To have 18 years of player evaluation in the NFL, suggest that he probably has some skill. If he was as hopeless as suggested, he would not have lasted. Nobody survives for 18 years at one team under different coaches and GM's just by being lucky or a nice guy. His skill is apparently in methodical evaluation.
I'd be more inclined to listen to Tony Dungy's comments than sources...

also, you know how i know how retarded this sounds? since when, has a GM ever laid such a ****ty footprint, to affect a team 10-12 years down the road? unless the tampa beat writers expect ross to keep hickey for 7-9 years. if he's around for that long, i would think Miami would be in the playoffs for a good chunk of that time. and that's no downward spiral. most beat writers are idiots.

also, you know how i know how retarded this sounds? since when, has a GM ever laid such a ****ty footprint, to affect a team 10-12 years down the road? unless the tampa beat writers expect ross to keep hickey for 7-9 years. if he's around for that long, i would think Miami would be in the playoffs for a good chunk of that time. and that's no downward spiral. most beat writers are idiots.

My friend, this is a very strange question to come from a Dolphins fan. When has a GM ever laid such a ****ty footprint to affect a team 10-12 years down the road? The one and only Dave Wannstedt has done just that at two different stops.

Once in Chicago -- the Bears took YEARS to recover -- and once right here in Miami. This horrible trainwreck of a football team we have endured for the last decade plus has been primarily the fault of just one man: the Wannstache. The man who drafted garbage, traded away future picks for garbage, and signed garbage to horrible contracts. The man who was responsible for Dan Marino quitting out front office after just a month -- and as a result leaving a pair of clueless owners in charge of trying to fix a situation that just somehow seems to keep getting worse.

Do you realize that when the Tuna took over, we were still eating dead cap money from Wannspiel contracts? Not only was the cupboard completely bare (remember starting safety CAMERON WORRELL?) but the team didn't even have the full resources it needed to play catchup.

:lol: Look, I am not really a fan of this hire and I realize we struck out big time in this search with other candidates, but this interview with Big O is a joke. The guy admits he doesn't really know Hickey and only really had one interview with him prior to a draft where his answers were very generic and didn't give away anything. Apparently the beat writers asked Tampa Bay never to give them Hickey again to interview because he didn't give much insight into their plans or printable quotes. Sounds to me like Bucs writers didn't really know him because he pretty much tried to stay out of the public light.

This Bucs guy talks about a decade of suffering because of this hire, that is just stupid headline grabbing garbage. If Hickey sucks he is probably out within the next 1-2 years, hardly a decade. After Cam Cameron's 1-15 year I am sure there were some that said Miami was so bad they wouldn't make the playoffs for the next decade and then the team came out the next year and won the division title.

I am not trying to defend this hire, and while criticism is very much warranted, the dooms day talk once again is going overboard. This team was one win away from the playoffs last year and in my opinion finally has a quality quarterback to build around that is still developing. You would think the Dolphins would be on track for an 0-16 season, I think it is safe to say Miami is closer to being a playoff team than a #1 overall pick contender.

I'm no fan of this hire - actually kinda depressed over it BUT last i looked the buck stopped at Mark Dominik's desk, not Hickey's. It's like saying that hiring Brian Gaine will set that franchise back at least 6 years. Let's apply some logic here please.

http://www.640sports.com/bigo/RoyCummings4.mp3

Not good news folks. Says the Dolphins will be bad for a long time and free agents won't want to come.
Ok. Can anybody think of one time you ever heard anybody connected with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers say anything positive about the Dolphins? Other than their Play-By-Play guy and most recently, Tony Dungy. Like I have said, I will know what Dennis Hickey is all about by early July. Until then, I will reserve all judgement. Much like I did when the other GM game here.

Maybe not the greatest hire, but he's only got a 2 year contract. Can he really do 12 years of damage on top of where we're at in 2 years? Yea, maybe, if Ross keeps him on for 5-8 years. Hickey AND Philbin have two years at most to make this a consistent playoff team. If not, another flush.

What are the odds that any team experiences a "downward spiral" that lasts 10 to 12 years?

Back
Top Bottom