Tannehill's small hands | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's small hands

j-off-her-doll has got it exactly right. Hand size isn't everything, but it's not nothing. I have almost 10 inch hands and I have trouble gripping an NFL football really well (I don't help myself by resting the last knuckle of my middle finger on the first lace -- I should hold it farther back). Anyway, if you look at the way Tannehill grips a football his fingers are really far apart -- especially his index finger. Which is what you'd expect from smallish hands. He wants to cover as much of the football as he can. But holding the football that way is hard on the tips of your fingers.

Ryan_tannehill_2015.jpg

You can't hold a football like this unless you have a really strong grip. I'd wager Tannehill works on his grip strength a lot.

Now if you look at Brett Favre (who had really big hands) for example, his hand looks a lot more relaxed than Tannehill's, and you can tell just by looking at this picture that even with a relaxed grip he's covering a lot more of the football than Tannehill is with his spread-out grip.

brett.favre.2_thumb_400x304.jpg

I don't know if Favre worked on his grip strength or not (he wasn't known as a hard worker). But with hands this size he probably didn't have to. It just came naturally to him.

At the end of the day it's all a means to an end, which to be an accurate thrower of the football who doesn't fumble. Having big hands helps you do that. Like a lot of traits, it's easier if you're born with it but it can be worked around. Tannehill is pretty accurate and he's not a chronic fumbler.

Last edited by a moderator:
9 3/8 is pretty close to 9 1/2. It's similar to an OT or Edge having less than ideal length or a WR's hand size. Amari Cooper was the #1 WR in the 2015 draft despite having 9" hands, because he had other elite traits. He struggled with drops as a rookie, and I'd speculate that his hand size played a role, but he still had a great year - polish, speed, agility making up for the drops.

You can point to guys like Montana and Drew Brees and say that arm strength must not be a factor, because they had less than desirable arm strength and still became great QB's, but I'm pretty sure that people still factor arm strength when evaluating QB's.

You mentioned Cooper, Will Fuller from ND just measured in with tiny hands 8 1/4 inch. He also struggled with drops the past two years, around 20 I believe. There is something there when it comes to hand size. Not saying its the 1 thing that makes or breaks a prospect, just another thing to consider when looking at them.

I cant believe this is even debatable. only fin haven.....

For christ sake bellichek and Brady deflated footballs to make the ball fit better in his hand.

It's common sense, bigger hands = better grip.

Back
Top Bottom