Tatonka's 7 Round Bills Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tatonka's 7 Round Bills Draft

Tatonka

New Poppa
Reaction score
I know that some of you could care less, but I took alot of time to put some good info in here.. and alot of these guys may be guys that Miami is looking at, and you want more info on. Hope some of you get some enjoyment/info out of it. You can see the pretty version at Billszone.com tomorrow.

Tatonka’s Take – Mock it up! (7 rounds)
By Jeremy Ford

This is my official mock draft, Buffalo Bills style, for the upcoming 2004 NFL Draft. I have listed 3 names in each round to give you my educated guesses and break down what I think is best for the Buffalo Bills for this upcoming season and beyond. The three choices are not necessarily in any order, as they all depend on what we did in the round before. You may think that a few of the guys will not be there, but this is the NFL draft, and every year guys slip. I tried not to be ridiculous with any of the possible slips. There is a very real possibility that we could get our hands on any of these players listed, with maybe just one or two slight trade ups. I would be happy with any combo of the following.

1st Round
1. Tommy Harris, Junior, DT/DE, Oklahoma – Arguably the best DT, and possibly the best DE. Big man ran a blazing 4.78, which is crazy for a DT. He is a little bit light, but makes up for that with great quickness and strength. We may not need a ton of help right this second, but we are in danger of losing Aaron Schobel, Pat Williams, and even Sam Adams after next year, and we are not settled at LDE as of right now. We may have to move up a hair to get him, but remember, there is no way anyone though Kennedy would fall last year either. It happens.

2. Phillip Rivers, Senior, QB, North Carolina State – There is not much more that can be said about this guy. We all know that he throws at a ¾ angle, and initially there were some concerns about that. Well it looks like the guy may not even be around at this point, because Pittsburg might snatch him up. But I tend to think that he will be available. He would fit into Buffalo’s new offense absolutely perfect. The new offense is supposed to emphasize the shorter passes and quick decisions. The is when Rivers and his deadly quick release and uncanny accuracy are at its best. A winner, a leader, and I will finish by throwing this stat out there. 5 bowl games in his career. 5 wins in those bowl games. 5 MVPs in those games. The guy just gets it done. Obviously.

3. Will Smith, Senior, DE, Ohio State – Questionably the best DE in the draft. Turns out he is not just faster than we though, but MUCH faster than we though, running a ridiculous 4.58 in the 40. He posted a 38.5 vertical leap and 30 reps of 225. Saying he was very impressive would be an injustice to his workout. The biggest thing for me is that he weighed in at 267, which is great size at 6'2", with room to get a bit bigger. I am still not 100% sold on him as he was much lighter in college (played around 250lbs), but for the potential his numbers show, he may just be worth the risk. He was projected to go in this range prior to his workout, so the workout warrior tag doesn’t really fit him. He could be Schobel’s replacement, as the likelihood is that Schobel will command more money that Grant Winstrom’s 33 million dollar contract with a 14 million dollar signing bonus. Donahoe does not have a history of paying that type of money out, but rather replacing in the draft.

Round 2
1. Jake Grove, Senior, C, Virginia Tech – The simple description of Jake Grove is “NASTYâ€Â. He is a mean, aggressive, tough center. He is easily the best in this draft at his position. While not overly athletic, his work ethic and dedication to the team are unquestionable. He is also an alum of mine, which would just make me happier to see him in a Bills uniform. He is the guy that will make sure that his QB is safe, no matter what the cost. Picture Kyle Turley, but a little sneakier. Asked at the combine by reporters how he felt about being called a dirty player, he responded, “I don’t care if they call me dirty, as long as they don’t call me soft.†This is the kind of guy you want to anchor your offensive line for a decade.

2. Michael Jenkins, Senior, WR, Ohio State – We would be fortunate to get a guy this good this late, but due to the fact that this draft is so stocked with talent at the WR position, a guy like Jenkins will fall. He was very impressive at the senior bowl and the funny thing was he even surprised himself at his pro day workout. The guy that was expected to run around a 4.5, busted out with a 4.38. At 6’4â€Â, 220, he is a big man that can move. He has the ability to make spectacular catches but has struggled with some inconsistency over his career. He seemed to move past that this year. He could end up being a legitimate #1 in a few years, and may eventually be Eric Moulds successor.

3. Ben Watson, Senior, TE, Georgia – This is a guy that has moved up the boards from the 3rd round to a possible late 1st round selection. He wowed everyone by running a 4.46 at 255, tossing up 34 reps of 225lbs, and then scoring a whopping 41 on his Wonderlic. That was one of the best scores at the combine. We will draft a TE in this draft. Campbell needs a back up, and Watson would bring an element that we don’t currently have on the team, which is a true deep threat at TE. He is built like Shannon Sharp, but runs a hell of a lot faster. Hopefully he will end up being as good. I think there is a good possibility that he is still here, because I don’t think that he will leapfrog Ben Troupe for the 2nd best TE spot behind Winslow. It is just rare to see any more than 2 TEs go in the first round, and if there is a position that is susceptible to dropping a couple of spots, TE is it. Jason Witten was all but assured a late 1st round pick last year. He went in round 3 to Dallas, and played great for them.

3rd Round
1. Chad Lavalias, Senior, DT, LSU - This is a guy that does not look so pretty in a workout, but is nothing but a playmaker in the game. He has exceptional quickness off the line, and gets into the backfield more times than not. He was simply dominant in college. He could stand to get stronger in the upper body but that is nothing that Rusty Jones and crew can’t work out, literally. He may fall this far due to the impressive rise of Darnell Dockett, Donnell Washington, and Igor Olshansky. But he could turn out to be every bit as good as any of them. Best comparison I can give you is Pat Williams-lite.

2. Steven Peterman, Senior, OG, LSU – Another LSU player that doesn’t look so hot on the practice field, but is a real warrior. Peterman has a mean streak as well. He also has the size to back it up, at 6-4, 320. He is a bit stiff in the lower body and isn’t the fastest guy, but he wont need to run any 40’s during a game any time soon. He has the talent and the size to be a fixture under the tutelage of Jim McNally.

3. Jeff Smoker, Senior, QB, Michigan State – A risky pick, yes. But worth the risk. He is a guy that might have gone high in the 2nd round had there not been some character issues surrounding his days at Michigan State. He missed the final part of his junior year because he came out and stated that he needed to seek treatment for his alcohol abuse. He got help and he rejoined the team the next season, but was not allowed to even compete for the starting job. It didn’t take long before he was back on the field and playing great. He says he has his priorities straight now. He has been a man about the whole thing and dealt with it out in the open. He is a very accurate QB (second to Rivers), good size (6’3â€Â, 225), no super mobile, but can move around in the pocket, and has a pretty good arm (stronger than Rivers), but the thing I like about him most is he is a clutch player. He plays his best when the game is on the line. He had some of his best games against Michigan States toughest competition, and it is not like they play in a cream puff conference. To be honest, he reminds me a lot of Rivers. Getting him in here to learn from a quality person who knows how to balance his life, like Drew Bledsoe, would also help him. He may even be a possible pick in the 4th round, but if we miss out on Rivers, I really want this guy, so I can justify burning a 3rd on him easily.

4th Round
1. Jason Peters, Junior, TE, Arkansas – The biggest TE that I have ever seen. He is 6’4â€Â, 328lbs and runs a 4.8. He is about the most intimidating TE since Eric Green was in the league. Most would assume that because he is so big, that he can not be a good TE, but this is far from true. He has soft hands, and while not the fastest guy, he is a load to tackle. Oh, and I forgot to mention, he is by far the most dominant blocker in this TE group. He will never have 800 yards receiving, but he may have that many pancakes in his career by the time it is over. He may also turn out to be a good goal line option to throw the ball to. Mark Campbell is not a small man either at 275. You put the two of them in there on a 3rd and 1, and it is close to having 7 offensive linemen. That would be some Rhino Package to put McGahee and Henry in.

2. Madieu Williams, Senior, FS, Maryland – I think this guy opened some eyes when he posted a 4.46 in workouts. He was a playmaker at Maryland and one of the leaders of their defense. He can lay a lick like truck, but that is not what he is known for. His best attribute is being a ball hawk. It doesn’t necessarily show up in the stats, but he was around the ball all the time. He can also play some corner in a nickel/dime or stick with a TE easily. It really depends on where you look as to how he is ranked, but there is a possibility that he could be around on day 2. If the Bills brass is really sold on this kid and want a great back up plan in case Coy Wire doesn’t succeed at the FS spot, they might want to think 3rd round on him. I don’t see it as a huge need for us, so I wouldn’t take him higher than early on day 2. He would be a value pick this late.

3. Tim Anderson, Senior, DT, Ohio St. - You will see varying opinions on this guys. I think he is going to be a good one. He played on a line with Will Smith and was the big man that sucked up some of that attention. He is strong at the point of attack. He is around 310lbs, but can add weight to his 6’3â€Â. He is a blue collar guy, who does have some moves and can buckle down and hold the line. He is a solid Day 2 pick if we still need a DT at this point in the draft, but hopefully we will not.

5th Round
1. PK Sam, Junior, WR, Florida St. - This kid really ticks me off. See, he came out early, which I don’t mind. Normally a WR is not going to make an impact for a couple years anyway. But the thing that ticks me off is he had to go run a 4.4 in work outs and open some scouts eyes. He is a big receiver at 6’3â€Â, 205, and now he has shown that he has some speed. I have a feeling someone may jump on him a little too soon, but I think the majority feel that he came out too early and may hold off on him. He has shown to be a bit immature by getting a bit ticked when he doesn’t get the ball. Lets hope he is still around, because, depending on what the Bills do earlier, he would be a great 5th guy to have around if we need him.

2. Michael Karney, Senior, FB, Arizona St. – He is a bulldozer. Possibly the best blocking FB in the draft. He can catch the ball, but don’t expect him to go that far with it. He is not much of a runner, but I wouldn’t look for the FB to get the ball much with McGahee and Henry already splitting carries. We need to fill the void that Gash has left and Karney is widely considered the top FB. They just don’t go that high. If he is gone at this spot, there are a few other guys that could fill this spot well.

3. Claude Harriott, Senior, DE, Pittsburg – This is a guy that I would be really excited to get. He has great size for a DE, and can be very dominant. He was considered a 1st round guy after his junior year, when he threw up 10 sacks and more than 20 tackles behind the line. He has a knee injury that slowed him this year and his numbers suffered immensely. 2 sacks. That is it. 2 sacks all year, and this guy has fallen off the radar completely. This reminds me a lot of Ogun in Miami. He went through a knee injury that cost him the draft, after looking like a very promising prospect. Miami grabbed him, and he obviously turned out to be worth it. I would be very happy to take a chance with him.

6th Round –
1. Thomas Tapeh, Senior, FB, Minnesota – Think Sammy Morris when you think of this kid. He used to be a HB, but was a bit too slow. He was a big guy anyway, so the natural move was to FB. He CAN run the ball though. Much better than any of the other FBs in this draft. He can catch very well. He is an adequate blocker, but he is best when he can surprise the defense with a carry or two and show off a couple of his moves. Like I said, think Sammy Morris here. If he is the FB that we pick up, expect to see plenty of dump passes his way for decent pick ups.

2. Bradlee Van Pelt, Senior, QB, Colorado St. – If we have not drafted a QB by now, we could be in trouble, but there is some hope. It would be nice to see Van Pelt back on the sidelines, but the last name is about the only thing that comes close to comparing Alex to Bradlee. Bradlee started out as a running back in a quarterback’s body. He had a good build for a QB at 6’2â€Â, 225lbs. He also has some good game speed and scrambling abilities. As the years went on for him, he turned into more of a passer, and hey, what do you know, he has a pretty good arm. He was not working with a lot of weapons at Colorado St., but he was a leader on the team and made a lot of plays when there was nothing. He will definitely be on the shelf in Buffalo for at least 2 years, but he would be a great 3rd QB or practice squad player that could have some great upside.

3. Nate Kaeding, Senior, K, Iowa – Best kicker in college football this year. We could use some consistency at the spot. We have missed Christie since he left. Kaeding could be another Christie. Very accurate, used to kicking in weather. Does not have Janakowski’s leg as far as kickoffs, but who does. He would probably win the kickers job.

7th Round -
1. Kevin Youngblood, senior, WR, Clemson – big receiver that has battled inconsistency and injuries to go with his flashes of greatness. He was Clemson’s main receiver for the past 2 years. Worth a risk this late.
2. Josh Scobee, Senior, K, Louisiana Tech – Big leg kicker. Needs to work on his accuracy some, but has the strongest leg of the draftable kickers. Could be used for kickoffs at a minimum.
3. Maurice Clarett, Sophomore (kind of), RB (kind of), No School (kind of)– This is the earliest that I would consider taking this kid. Just thought I would point that out.

Originally posted by LIQUID24
Good read.
Jason Peters is moving to OL though, from what I've read.

thanks bud..

there is some speculation as to whether or not he can move to OLine.. but it is not a given.. that will be up to the team that drafts him.. because he is more than compitent at TE.. i think he stays at TE.. but he mine as well be a Tackle.. because on the goal line.. he would be like having an extra one..

Originally posted by Nublar7
I went to High School with Jeff Smoker. Decent QB, horrible person.

looks like he is getting help for some of his problems.. and obviously, you have to take into consideration.. people grow up.. i cant even remember the person i was at 18.. and it sure as hell was alot different than the person i was at 22.. and now almost 30. ;)

I agree 100% on Clarett. Somebody will gamble a third on him though. That is, of course, if he is even in the draft.

I don't particularly care for Clarrett, but if he and M.Willams are declared inelgible one week before the draft......that's pretty f'ed up.

I like Williams, but I don't want the NFL to go the way of the National Babies Association. NBA teams are younger then NCAA teams now...

It would be wrong and both players should be allowed to go back to school, regardless of signing with an agent.

I agree with Gonzo, the worst thing that could happen to the NFL.....younger and younger players

Actually I agree with you Tatonka about Michael Jenkins.

I think Jenkins could be steal if he falls to the mid too late 2nd round for the team that picks him.Jenkins has all the talent.If he could just put it all together he could bocame a great WR in the NFL.

I go to school in Mich and a friend of mine went to Mich State and said he went to a party with Smoker recently and he was coked up.

Phil Rivers didn't win all 5 of his bowl games. They lost one Tangerine Bowl. What he did is win an MVP award in all five of the bowl games, but the only bowl game where that should surprise you is the Senior Bowl, because otherwise lets face it the NC State defense was always horrible and the offense was set up to allow Rivers to look like King Kong. So in any given game there's probably like a 80 to 90% chance that Rivers would get an MVP award for the game even if they lost. But I love everything about Rivers, and hate everything about him in a Bills uniform.

God that would suck. The only consolation would be if we got Shawn Andrews.

Originally posted by Gonzo
I agree 100% on Clarett. Somebody will gamble a third on him though. That is, of course, if he is even in the draft.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Remove Clarett, he's not even on the Bills draft board

guys.. the clarrett thing was a joke.. i am aware the bills wouldnt take him.. i just put it there to show my dislike for the guy...

Originally posted by Al13
hey tatonka, why did you never answered my PM...:(

i am sorry.. i will check now.. that is odd.. usually i get a pop up here when i have a pm..

Back
Top Bottom