Taylor Whitley looking more confident. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taylor Whitley looking more confident.

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
Joe Schad at the Palm Beach Post made the comment that something is different about Taylor Whitley this year. He states that Taylor looks to be a lot more confident in what he's doing out there. He's more sure of himself.

Once the pads go on, I believe Taylor will make a strong push for the starting right guard position. He's got a year under his belt, and the confidence he is apparently showing will make a big difference. Plus, he's gotten quite a bit stronger in the weight room from what I've heard. He will have to fend off a strong challenge by Tony Pape to get the job, IMO.

Joe Schad also mentions that Wade Smith is very impressive looking with the added 20 lbs of muscle. He says that thinks Wade may play in a couple of Pro Bowls before he is done.

He says that Rex Hadnot needs to get himself into better shape, and that Tony Pape needs to do something with those sideburns.

I believe that the Dolphins have a lot more pure talent along the OL than they had at this point last season. The big chore will be melding these guys into a cohesive unit. Right now, I see seven offensive linemen that I would consider starting caliber offensive linemen: Wade Smith, Jeno James, Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, Vernon Carey, Damion McIntosh (when healthy), and John St. Clair. I believe both Greg Jerman and Billy Yates proved last season that they are high quality back ups that will play well if forced into action. I also think Tony Pape is a keeper and should push for early playing time. Rex Hadnot is more of a project because of his tremendous size and strength, but he has to refine his technique, get into better shape, and find his true position.

The other linemen like Dan Goodspeed, Brad Bedell, Andy Wagstrom, and Shawn Lynch are fringe players who will be training camp bodies only.

I dont think he will start but he will play a little bit backing up.

KBISBACK said:
Joe Schad at the Palm Beach Post made the comment that something is different about Taylor Whitley this year. He states that Taylor looks to be a lot more confident in what he's doing out there. He's more sure of himself.

Once the pads go on, I believe Taylor will make a strong push for the starting right guard position. He's got a year under his belt, and the confidence he is apparently showing will make a big difference. Plus, he's gotten quite a bit stronger in the weight room from what I've heard. He will have to fend off a strong challenge by Tony Pape to get the job, IMO.

Joe Schad also mentions that Wade Smith is very impressive looking with the added 20 lbs of muscle. He says that thinks Wade may play in a couple of Pro Bowls before he is done.

He says that Rex Hadnot needs to get himself into better shape, and that Tony Pape needs to do something with those sideburns.

I believe that the Dolphins have a lot more pure talent along the OL than they had at this point last season. The big chore will be melding these guys into a cohesive unit. Right now, I see seven offensive linemen that I would consider starting caliber offensive linemen: Wade Smith, Jeno James, Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, Vernon Carey, Damion McIntosh (when healthy), and John St. Clair. I believe both Greg Jerman and Billy Yates proved last season that they are high quality back ups that will play well if forced into action. I also think Tony Pape is a keeper and should push for early playing time. Rex Hadnot is more of a project because of his tremendous size and strength, but he has to refine his technique, get into better shape, and find his true position.

The other linemen like Dan Goodspeed, Brad Bedell, Andy Wagstrom, and Shawn Lynch are fringe players who will be training camp bodies only.

I'm very encouraged by that report. I've thought since we drafted Taylor that he's got some good talent/potential. Hopefully he'll be able to reach that level and compete for our starting RG position. :cooldude:

I think we have too many guys competing for this one spot of RG... IMO St. Clair should go to his natural spot at center, Mckinney just can't make the line calls~ Make Carey the starting RT until competition from Mcintosh comes after week 6.... by then Carey will have proved himself or Mcintosh can take over... For now, Tony Pape can challenge him in camp... Make Mckinney the RG... our Line would then look like this:
LT Wade Smith
LG Jeno James
C St. Clair
RG Mckinney
RT Carey

keep Hadnot, Whitley, Jerman, Mcintosh as the main reserves; Jerman would move to the bottom of the list or possibly be a pratice squad guy once Mcintosh comes off PUP list after week 6...

FakeSpike13 said:
I think we have too many guys competing for this one spot of RG... IMO St. Clair should go to his natural spot at center, Mckinney just can't make the line calls~ Make Carey the starting RT until competition from Mcintosh comes after week 6.... by then Carey will have proved himself or Mcintosh can take over... For now, Tony Pape can challenge him in camp... Make Mckinney the RG... our Line would then look like this:
LT Wade Smith
LG Jeno James
C St. Clair
RG Mckinney
RT Carey

keep Hadnot, Whitley, Jerman, Mcintosh as the main reserves; Jerman would move to the bottom of the list or possibly be a pratice squad guy once Mcintosh comes off PUP list after week 6...

Jerman is no longer eiligiable sp for the practice squad.

FakeSpike13 said:
I think we have too many guys competing for this one spot of RG... ...

I'm not sure there is such a thing as too much competition. But I suppose if it means that no one guy gets enough reps to show his stuff then perhaps.

I think you see St. Clair and Jerman in the starting roles at this point because they are senior to Carey and Whitely and it is at least in part a move to motivate each younger player. I think it is very likely however that the latter two will be starting when the season begins unless St. Clair moves inside to RG.

Pope and Hadnut are going to be camp projects to see if either has potential and will in all probability end up on the PS. Hadnut has to beat Yates for the C/G back-up spot unless St. Clair is kept as the back-up C at which point both of them will struggle to keep a job.

The O line competition will be at least as exciting as the QB struggle in camp. Should be a very competitive July in Davie.

Surferosa said:
Why not? Whats the rule?

I can't find the exact rule on NFL.com but it has to do with the number of games a player is on the active roster for. It is around 8 or 10. Since Jerman was active for all 16 games last season he would be ineligible as would Yates I believe.

I think that just strengthens the idea that those 2nd day lineman picks were specifically for the PS, though I'm sure that the team is open to the rookies making the active roster as well...

You can't draft a player thinking you will put him on your practice squad. Another team will grab that player up. Miami cut Brandon Winey thinking they might be able to sneak him onto the practice squad. It wasn't very long before Denver picked him up.

Those guys were drafted as potential depth, not as practice squad players. Tony Pape will be picked up quickly if he were cut.

FakeSpike13 said:
LT Wade Smith
LG Jeno James
C St. Clair
RG Mckinney
RT Carey

Why can't McKinney make the calls? I have never heard that anywhere...

KBISBACK said:
You can't draft a player thinking you will put him on your practice squad. Another team will grab that player up. Miami cut Brandon Winey thinking they might be able to sneak him onto the practice squad. It wasn't very long before Denver picked him up.

Those guys were drafted as potential depth, not as practice squad players. Tony Pape will be picked up quickly if he were cut.

Brandon Winey was an underachieving turd and I was happy when he was sent packing and even happier when someone else picked him up so that oxygen thief didn't absorb a spot on the practice squad. On a lighter note, I'm pretty sure he came in as an injury backup at tackle for the Redskins last year during that Sunday night game and proceeded to get used like a tool by JT (or perhaps it was Ogunleye). Don't know why I chose to level a personal attack at Brandon Winey, but that guy always bugged me. You know what, I do know why. That guy had all the talent and physical tools to be an outstanding NFL lineman, but couldn't get it together mentally/emotionally to even make the roster. I guess I'm just jealous because at one time I would have killed for the opportunity he had. Look at old Maggot Brain waxing philosophic on this, the first of May.

Back
Top Bottom