TE A. Mayes....Looking Very Good | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TE A. Mayes....Looking Very Good

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
I'm very excited with what I've seen from TE A. Mayes thus far...

I never knew this guy could even get on the field, let alone catch passes. He's big, and he appears to have some very soft hands. His job is in jeopardy, but with the way he's come along, he should stay....

He looks better than any other TE on our roster at this time, and could turn out to be a huge part of the offense this year.

J. Weaver is very solid, and the rookie R. McMichael is looking good as well, but neither has the size or strength that A. Mayes displays....

If A. Mayes can continue to impress, he should be our starting TE this year, with J. Weaver behind him. R. McMichael may not make it with E. Perry being a shoe-in as our long snapper.....

Can we carry four TE's on our roster??......Not likely.

Regardless, A. Mayes has improved enough to get my attention, and he looks very good. He'll certainly be a tough load to bring down once he's got the ball.....ala K. Jackson.

PHINZ RULE!!!

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
Can we carry four TE's on our roster??......Not likely.
LS is practically a different position these days - so do not count Perry as a TE. We had Goodwin, Draper and Weaver as well as Perry last year; so I expect us to keep 4 TEs if you include Perry this year.

And yes, Mayes is the only guys that seems to have a chance to help out in the running and passing game.

Perry still can play TE, so I won't be surprised if we only carry "3 TEs," with one of those TEs being Ed Perry.

But then again, we had, what, four TEs all of last season?

Now that I think about it, I see us keeping four TEs...

Originally posted by Blitz
Perry still can play TE, so I won't be surprised if we only carry "3 TEs," with one of those TEs being Ed Perry.

As far as the team is concerned he can't. He's strictly a long snapper.

If freak accidents happened at the TE position (Ex. Our first and second string TEs going down for the season at the beginning of the year), they would be forced to use Perry as a TE. I seem to remember him having made a few nice catches back when Marino was still with us (In 1998 and 1999, or maybe it was just '98). Was he also the long-snapper back then? I think so, but I'm not sure...

Alonzo Mayes still needs to get in shape as he was winded too often during the minicamps. Everything looks good with him except for his conditioning. He vows that he'll be ready to go by training camp so we'll see. He stills weighs 277 pounds and the coaches would like to see him at no more then 265 pounds with his 6'5" frame.

I definitely see us keeping 4 TE's. Perry is very valuable as a LS. I also seem to remember when he first came up a few years ago, that Perry was considered a "pass catching" type of TE. He did catch a few balls from Danny Boy back then, but, just has never really challenged for PT since. I know JJ used to really like him.

I miss Troy Drayton. The guy was a stud who could catch. Too bad about his knees.

Originally posted by dolfan87
I miss Troy Drayton. The guy was a stud who could catch. Too bad about his knees.

IMO Drayton was one of the biggest underachievers that ever played for the fins. This guy had all the physical tools, but, just could not hold on to the ball. Even when he was healthy, he was a heartbreaker.

Back
Top Bottom