Team USA update: Waffling by LeBron irks Colangelo | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Team USA update: Waffling by LeBron irks Colangelo

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
If LeBron James wants to assure himself of a trip to the Beijing Olympics, he'd better show up for more than a cameo in Las Vegas this summer.

In a blunt retort to James' statement that he is only "50-50" on playing for the United States at the Tournament of the Americas Olympic qualifying tournament, Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo told ESPN.com that James could be jeopardizing his status as one of the five or six core players for the Beijing Olympics.

"Unless people have a legitimate reason for not participating, I expect them to uphold their three-year commitment. I'm standing by my commitment and I expect people to stand by theirs. If someone chooses not to participate just because they'd rather not play, that person would put himself at risk as far as who ultimately represents us at the Olympics," Colangelo said.

Coming off a third-place finish at last summer's World Championship, Team USA will attempt to qualify for the Olympics at the Tournament of the Americas in Las Vegas Aug. 22-Sept. 2. Because two spots are at stake for teams from the region, the most important game will be the semifinal on Sept. 1.

Team USA will have a roster that looks quite different from the one Colangelo brought to Japan last summer, with new additions Jason Kidd and Carlos Boozer -- both former Olympians -- expected to play alongside Kobe Bryant, Michael Redd, Chauncey Billups, Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire, none of whom was on last summer's Japan roster due to extenuating circumstances.

"It'll be based on merit, but you could see a number of changes," Colangelo said.

Colangelo also said Team USA members Paul Pierce and Lamar Odom, both of whom are expected to have surgery in the offseason, will not be in the mix for spots on the 2008 team.

"I don't have a rule, but it just makes common sense that if you miss the first two events you don't go to the third," Colangelo said, adding that he also does not expect to have Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson and Chris Paul on the Tournament of the Americas roster because of their various injuries and possible surgeries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2824500

Back
Top Bottom