Tell me about Jef Zgonia | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tell me about Jef Zgonia

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
In all of the hubub (haven't used that term in a helluva while) of off-season signings. One player was added under the cover of darkenss without much fanfare: Jeff Zgonia. I am an avid Dolphan but there are only so many hours a day I can devote to Football. Subsequently, I am not aware of who Zgonia is and what he means as an acquisition. Please Dolphan faithful help educate me so I can get even more excited about this awesome season coming up. I can picture it Fiedler and Griese lifting up the Lombardi trophy together with fresh World Champions 2004 Dolphins t shirts and hats on. Seau and Thomas and Taylor all together crying on the field of battle in joy. D@mn I'm psyched

He was a defensive captain in St. Louis so he is another leadership type that follows the trend of our other defensive acquisitions. He is a quick, high motor guy. I don't think he is as big as our starters but he is a better pass rusher. IMO he is an upgrade over Haley.

One thing I've heard about him...

He's an absolute RUN-STOPPER! Low center of gravity for a big guy and knows how to get down low, too. Strong. Can out-right "catch" a RB with one arm. Might not necessarily stop him, but would slow him down enough for other defenders to gang up. Has the same type of vision as Zack... sort of sees "around" players.

Very interesting how he has so quietly slipped under the radar.

One thing is that he comes in knowing and accepting his role. He does not intend to start. Whereas Jermaine Haley was admittedly unhappy in his role and left to become a starter.

At the very least, we get the same player as Haley. But IMO, we upgraded.....both ability and leadership-wise.

and he could be starter next year if this is indeed bowens last season as a phin

That's a very real possibility. Timbo doesn't have that great love for the game anymore. It's not the most important thing to him. Those knees are also problematic. And he never liked working out to begin with.

He made it on reputation. His stats weren't deserving. But then again I don't know where they keep stats on things like "Double Teams Taken", "Hole Clogging", etc.

We signed Zgonina because we lost Haley. I believe Zgonina was the captain of the Rams when they won the Super Bowl so yes, he is another leader for this team. He knows what it takes to win it all.

I agree with a previous post, I think we've got the best back-up DT in the league. He probably would start on most teams, but not for us. If Chester or T-Bo goes down, we have one hell of a back-up.

We actually signed him before we lost Haley. But we were pretty likely to lose Haley at the time anyway. ;)

Back
Top Bottom