Telling quote from Griese press conference | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Telling quote from Griese press conference

he's still young you either grow from being cut or you fade. i think he can rebound and turn it around, and make denver look like the biggest fools .ala Ricky with the saints

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Yeah phinstigator thats a good quote right there he said this team doesn't need controversy it needs consistency, he knows Jay will be the man and expects him to have a fantastic year but if somethin should happen to Jay, he can step in and "prevent what happened last year from happening again" This is pretty word for word what he was saying in the press conference.

I was impressed by an attitude that everyone says is supposedly a cancerous selfish attitude. Given he has to look pretty for the cameras but when they asked him how he feels about Denver, the FIRST thing he says is "Well first off, I could have played better." He went into it, saying the first place you look is yourself, and he could have played better. And he used the words "I'll learn from my mistakes" and move on. Yes I realize this is all just a PR conference and there's all kinds of positioning to be done but nonetheless if he is as selfish as people were saying or as much of a primadonna as people were saying, I somehow doubt he could bring himself to use those words. He was very self-critical. Didn't even MENTION Shanahan, and the only time he came close to diffusing responsibility whatsoever was when he pointed out that when you win the quarterback gets too much credit, and likewise when you lose a lot of the blame is focused on him...even then he seemed to be focusing on how the QB gets too much of the credit for a win.

The allusion he made for his time in Denver (as cheesy as it sounds), for those who for whatever reason can't listen, is he said it felt like his first physics test back in school. He studied hard and thought he knew everything about it, he got there, and he knew NOTHING. He said thats what happened for him as an NFL quarterback, he studied behind Elway thought he knew everything got there and he knew nothing. But (and this is where it gets cheesy) after the first test in that class he had a better idea of what to do and he worked real hard at it, did better in his next test and eventually pulled an A in the class. Hopefully it will be similar here in Miami...because he would love to play here "a long long time"

All in all, and I know Griese is very intelligent so the possibilities of manipulation are high, this does not sound like a guy who tends to point the finger. I mean, I'm pretty confident that if he was a guy who tends to point the finger (and by that I mean a guy who WOULD tend to point the finger, what he will do from here on, not what he's done in the past) even if he was doing his best to look like a golden boy in the press conference, I'm pretty confident I would be able to spot it out, in the language he's using and whatnot. Everyone's got their pride and guys who point the finger have a high level of it, and I just severely doubt one of those guys could stand there and say straight faced to the media that everything was their fault because they weren't prepared correctly, or that he should have played better. If I didn't truly feel that way, I don't think I could bring myself to say it without finding some word play to cleverly say something else while making them think I was saying what they wanted to hear...and I didn't detect anything like that here.

One thing though, this guy is positioning for a long-term run here in Miami. He KNOWS how to schmooze with the Miami media you could just tell. He knows all the names to say, all the memories to evoke, to get all the old fans thinking of our old glory days and not our recent disappointments. As such, while I would like to see it, I doubt he and Jay Fiedler are going to become the bestest of friends heh...they'll have a good working relationship though but Griese and Plummer had reportedly become friends since Plummer replaced him in Denver...I don't see that happening here because it would appear Griese knows what cards he has and doesn't and he knows how to play them. Fiedler though, also extremely smart, knows what cards HE has and how to play them.

CK are you saying that's he grown up, will sit with team mates, won't make mistakes in games like throwing an int to Bromell, will stand behind Jay, like Lucas did, and be vocal about it. Will not let controversy start in the locker room..and are you saying he had a nice introduction to the media in miami..He's now a team player..:lol: Ask the players who play with him last..but I hope he does start off fresh here in Miami..I mean there, since I'm in Maryland..:D

Originally posted by chicago dolphin
I feel like Brian is very "zen-like". People have misread it as being anti-social, but he's just keeping it to himself.

I'm anti-social.

If I was an NFL player I'd be telling the media to piss off.

I'd rather go sign autographs for my fans.

this was not a telling quote

Q. Does the steam still have an interest in Akili Smith?

COACH WANNSTEDT: No we’re out of the quarterback market.
:stupid:

what :billfan: asked that one :rolleyes:

some athletes respond to shanahan/parcells type coaches. yelling and screaming and getting on the players. some need coaxing and encouraging. this teams coaches are going to develope it's talent. BG should do well in this environment. he should ride the pine for the season and learn the playbook, players and coaches. concentrating on building his self esteme back up.

Back
Top Bottom