Texas Am Has Produced A Surprise (yates) And A Stiff (whitley) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Texas Am Has Produced A Surprise (yates) And A Stiff (whitley)

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me how the DOlphins selected TAYLOR WHITLEY within the draft.....and how they snabbed BILLY YATES outside of it? Yates looks like a mortal lock to be a backup Guard....where WHITLEY just has not showed a damn thing out there....and he looks like he is on his way out the door after this game...

Its amazing how a week away from camp can change an attitude...as MARCO BATTAGLIA seems to have his head on right now...and will make this roster, but will not play as much in the double TE packages...as DONALD LEE has that role. Batagglia is really the third TE..

Look for the Dolphins...barring any injuries to either SIMMONS or TOLVER....to reach an injury settlement with GADSDEN...let him get back into shape...and possibly bring him back later. There is no doubt that there are many people within the DOlphins organization--who feel that it is time for OG to move on....but OG has a real good ally...in WR COACH FORD.....who really trusts OG...and would always find room for him...

Both....DYER and MCGARRAHAN will be released early next week...if no trades can be had....so far....there is nothing...as teams know the Dolphins situation...and will wait it out. Both players will not be out of work long.... Dyer could go to the RAMS or PANTHERS....McGarrahan could end up with the JETS..

The DOlphins have installed packages specifically for CHARLIE ROGERS this season...and you should start seeing some of them this game...and not necessarily on third down situations.

How about the fact now that BRIAN GRIESE got some work in all week...as the HOLDER for MARE... Wanny is putting the onus on ROYALS...its his job to lose...

ALPHONSO ROUNDTREE has a very small edge on O. LOWE right now...for that last CB spot...they still want to see more though from ROUNDTREE...for him to overtake LOWE officially.

A guy a lot of people write off every year, including me is SHAWN WOODEN....who has had a very good camp.....another reason why SCOTT McGARRAHAN was sent packing..

T Tim Provost is not ready to contribute much this year....is a project who needs time...

I am now hearing that LB COREY JENKINS could be challenging LB MERLON GREENWOOD, later on this season...for his starting role...can you believe how far this guy has come...so fast. He is making plays in practice continually...where GREENWOOD has just been himself....seen but not heard much from. GREENWOOD got beat for two Tds this week also....by Femi AYANBADEJO..

LEONARD HENRY has the edge over ROBERT EDWARDS....that is too bad for EDWARDS.....but he has proved that he can play in this league...once again.

DT JEFF ZGONINA will play so much this season...you will swear he is starting....that is how high the DOlphins value this guy.

Wade SMITH still needs to be sharp once again this week....as the DOlphins are holding off for now.....the possibility of bringing in some veteran tackle.....for sure...they have a list ready to go...and will see who gets cut early on next week....

George "General" Paton is RICK SPIELMANS main Director of Pro Scouting....and he has been scouting all over for veteran help....he is the one who has compiled the list for WANN-SPIEL...they are prepared to bring in some help if necessary.

Expect the Dolphins to place EDDIE MOORE officially on the IR list next week....they also would like to place S YERAMIAH BELL on some injury list....but they may not be able to get away with it....

The Yates-whitney is a good ?, but the dolphin weren't the only team to miss him in the draft, as we signed him as a rookie FA..glad to see our scout team had enough sense to grab him.

Is Gadsen indeed gone? Have to see it to believe it.

Man that's something, Greenwood can't catch a break, one rival go down with a foot problem, only to find another rookie coming on fast. Jenkins speed and instincts might be just what that position needs.

Dissapointed. I expected Eddie Moore to start sometime this season...then when he was injured I put all of my faith in Greenwood only to hear he could lose his job to Jenkins...

any possibility that we carry 4 running backs..atleast for a few games? possibly a trade with a team with an early injury. i'd like to see us get something for some of the talent we are about to put on the street.

Why wont they be able to put both Moore and Bell on the injured list??

Originally posted by Surferosa
Why wont they be able to put both Moore and Bell on the injured list??

Moore will go on the injured list for the year. Bell on the other hand is an iffy situation and the question of just how 'injured' he really is.

Because Bell is practicing right now and played the preseason game against Jacksonville, and therefore it would be a little hard to convince the league that he is injured for the year.

Anyway you hit the nail on the head MD when you said "Jenkins speed and instincts might be just what that position needs."

The keyword there is SPEED. Watching him on film a couple of times that is one thing that jumps at you. But also instincts, cuz I'm watching him right now on that David Garrard naked bootleg in the 2nd Q. The play was a fake run off RT to Toefield and Garrard faked it so well it had EVERYONE fooled (even commentators). Jenkins started the play lined up on the left side, with Hendricks in the middle and Morlon Greenwood on the right side. Toefield ran towards Jenkins side and both Hendricks and Greenwood flew toward that side of the field. Jenkins seems to have recognized what was going on a hair earlier because guess who was the guy who made the tackle on David Garrard on the RIGHT side of the field (from defensive standpoint) the complete opposite side that Jenkins was lined up on. In other words of the three linebackers, Jenkins started out the furthest away from where the ball was headed, yet he was the first linebacker there. Greenwood was still trying to tackle the runningback long after Garrard had began running for the sideline with the ball.

Normally Crash Jenkins would have mowed over the guy who didn't have the ball then went after the dude with the ball.

Oh yeah and I've watched each of his 4 tackles in the game (3 solo, 1 assist) and it would appear he's getting better at it week to week...this time around he did a real good job wrapping up instead of going for the plow hit. By mid-season, with a lot of special teams tackling under his belt, who knows?

I think there's absolutely no way that the Dolphins cut Taylor Whitley considering the general lack of depth on the team and the total lack of players out there. I'll be stunned if they dump their 3rd rounder.

I'm glad for Jenkins. LB was a concern for me entering this season. We didn't seem to have any depth. I said this before...Wanny/Speilman did a good job this year bringing in talent.
:patriot: :patriot:

i read that torrin tucker guy, that no one picked in the draft is havin a good camp with the cowboys so far, i still don´t know why he wasn´t worth a 7th rounder to our staff

I agree with 90% of your post but don't understand the takes on Whitley and Battaglia. I see just the opposite. Whitley was in with Yates and I thought both did a good job. The camera actually followed Whitley for a few plays and he looked fine. Battaglia, on the other hand, seems to be doing nothing since that retirement talk. Did he catch anything that was thrown at him last game? I saw him drop a couple. I do agree on Yates. Don't know how other teams missed him and glad we got him.

I would be very surprised if Whitley was released no matter how bad he is doing. He was taken in the third round, and usually that means you are a lock to make the team in your first year.

Originally posted by Boomer
I think there's absolutely no way that the Dolphins cut Taylor Whitley considering the general lack of depth on the team and the total lack of players out there. I'll be stunned if they dump their 3rd rounder.

Whitley and Yates play the same position. They can't keep both. One will be cut the other won't and it doesn't matter what round Whitley was drafted in. We've cut 3rd rounders before.

It also doesn't matter about the depth - The Dolphins will only go with 8 OL's (9 as a big stretch). Aside from the starting 5 (if you include Dixon in there), you have as reserves: Wade Smith, Seth McKinney, Jarvis Borum, Greg Jerman, Whitley and Yates.

Smith and McKinney are locks. So, you have one or two spots left. There's no guarantee Whitley will make the team if Yates is outplaying him! Jerman and Borum are OT's and since McKinney can play OG, that gives them a slight edge over Whitley. Yates will make the team, imo, only if we keep 9 OL's.

The reason is, if we go with two reserve interior OL's - McKinney and Yates, say - then that leaves one reserve OT - Smith, with an injured starter in Dixon.

My final 8-9:
Starters:
LT - Dixon (not 1st game but for the season)
LG - Nails
C- Ruddy
RG - Perry
RT - Wade

Reserves:
OT - Smith
C/OG - McKinney
OT - Jerman
OG - Yates (if we keep 9).

They will try to sneak Yates, Borum and maybe Whitley onto the practice squad.

I think the Fins keep 9 OL especially because of Dixon's status with Yates being the choice and Whitley and and a OT on the practice sqaud

We'll probably never see Whitley again if we cut him. But I have to wonder......what kind of upside do the Dolphins see in each player (Yates, Whitley)?? Whitley has size and power. Yates plays the more athletic left side. But what kind of player do they forsee in a year or two?? Who do they think will be the better player in the long run??

THOSE are the important questions the staff will be pondering. And that will determine which player sticks and which player is sent packing.

Back
Top Bottom