Texas Am Has Produced A Surprise (yates) And A Stiff (whitley) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Texas Am Has Produced A Surprise (yates) And A Stiff (whitley)

Wow CK, are you finally jumpin' on the C. Jenkins bandwagon? LOL, I see you will probably call him "Crash" for the rest of the year. Hey, will ya change his name once he gets even better? Maybe "Car-wreck" Jenkins will work! hehe.

I think there is a distinct possibility we keep more OL than usual this year. Wade, Nails are both FA at end of year.

Ruddy and Perry will be gone after this year. Dixon is injury prone and could retire soon.

That means we need young OL depth to develop. The RG position is one Whitley is made for if he can play with more technique. Yates could be athletic enough to be a swing G/T. Provost on P-squad. I see nothing from Borum except size.

That leads me to believe we may keep 10 OL, and certainly will keep 9.

Originally posted by Boomer
I think there's absolutely no way that the Dolphins cut Taylor Whitley considering the general lack of depth on the team and the total lack of players out there. I'll be stunned if they dump their 3rd rounder.

It would be unusual for a 3rd rounder to get cut, but it does happen. Right off the top of my head it seems like
Bobby Sapp was a first day OG draftee by the Bears a few years back and IIRC he never made the team, or if he did he didn't last long.
I agree about the lack of depth, but how many backup guards can we keep? Seth can play both C and G, and if Yates outplays Whitley, what is the coaching staff going to do? Keep the guy who played better or the guy who was drafted high?
Now, if Seth were to be named the starter at RG, then I could see possibly cutting Todd Perry, and then keep both the rookies.
Whitley will likely play in the league eventually, just that the learning curve for him may be greater than it has been for Yates for whatever reason.

:welcome:

MrClean,

Would you be the MrClean from the BuffaloBills.com message board?

We will DEFINITELY keep at least 9 O-linemen and more than likely keep 10. I dont know where you get this crazy idea of us only keeping 8 O-linemen. NO CHANCE. That is down right ridiculous with our question marks on the O-line. probably 10, but at least 9.

Originally posted by ZOD
:welcome:

MrClean,

Would you be the MrClean from the BuffaloBills.com message board?

There is a MrClean that is a Bills fan??? That is not me. The only other place I have posted over the past couple of years is DolfanTalk.com
Thanks for the welcome :)

Originally posted by unclemonty
We will DEFINITELY keep at least 9 O-linemen and more than likely keep 10. I dont know where you get this crazy idea of us only keeping 8 O-linemen. NO CHANCE. That is down right ridiculous with our question marks on the O-line. probably 10, but at least 9.

Last we kept 9 when we cut to 53. Some years over the last decade we have kept only 8 though. IIRC we kept 8 when we cut to 53 in 2001. I think that 9 is the most likely # this year, b/c of all the young talent we have on the OL.
Often times only 8 get activated for games.
I would be extremely surprised if we kept ten. My guess is it would have to be at the expense of a tight end if we did.

My guess at the 53:

QB
1. Jay
2. Brian
3. Sage

RB
4. Ricky
5. Minor
6. Edwards or Henry
7. Rogers-R/S

FB
8. Konrad
9. Femi

WR
10. Chambers
11. Thompson
12. McKnight
13. Simmons
14. JR

TE
15. Randy
16. Lee
17. Battaglia
18. McDermott -LS

OL
19. Smith
20. Nails
21. Ruddy
22. Perry
23. Wade
24. Dixon
25. Seth
26. Jerman
27. Yates

DE.
28. JT
29. Wale
30. J.Williams
31. Burnett

DT
32. TimBo
33. Chester
34. Jeff Z
35. Romero

LB
36. Greenwood
37. Zach
38. Junior
39. Jenkins
40. Hendricks
41. B. Ayanbadejo

CB
42. Pat
43. Sam
44. TBuck
45. Jamar
46. Roundtree

S.
47. Sammy
48. Brock
49. Freeman
50. Wooden
51. Gamble

PK
52. Mare

P
53. Royals

When I look at the overall roster of what I feel most would pick to make it, the only place I can imagine cutting back to keep one more young OL, like Whitley (for the future), would be to cut Battaglia at TE. It would also be remotely possible that we keep only one true FB, and use Lee and Battaglia for additional blockers when necessary. I didn't dream that last bit up all by myself...it was mentioned in an article in one of the papers a month or so ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Clean, I agree with your final cut down. I doubt that they cut Battaglia unless they pick up another TE. They like their 2 tight end sets and if one guy goes down they are SOL. McDermott will never see the field besides ST. If anything I think that they may go with 5 LBs and add Grigsby as the 5th end, though my preference would be to keep 6 LBs. I think that they are going to scour the waiver wire for another LB. I'm not sold on any of the back-ups outside of Jenkins and he's just too raw to count on right now. I agree that at least 9 OL make the team with Dixon on the mend. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 but I think they try to slip 2 on the practice squad.

I could see us keeping Lowe as the fifth CB and fifth S. He can play both physically and has played both in college. It's a possibility with Freeman wanting a trade that we do it and put Lowe in at fifth spot. Why should we have that many TEs. Would not make sense. I do think we may very well carry 10.
The starters- Dixon, Nails, Ruddy, Perry, Wade
The backups
in respective
order- Smith, Whitley, McKinney, Yates, Jerman

I could see someone beating out Todd Perry.

After this season I see Perry gone. There is a strong possibility of Ruddy gone to save cap space. Maybe re-sign him cheap later.

I see us signing either Nails or Wade back, most probably Wade. Matters how much the backup youngsters show.

Looks good mr.clean. Henry will get that RB spot. I also think Grigsby had to make the squad somewhere. Damn we have too many good players this year. There are definitely some tough choices to be made. NFL needs to allow an extra roster spot solely for the long snapper as it is becoming its own position now and most teams now have a designated LS. This didnt use to be, so an extra roster spot would make a lot of sense for a LS. It sucks to waste a spot on this position, but you have to in todays game.

It could be worse. We could be cheering for a team where you're looking at the players you're stuck with and going, "Oh, sh*t, -- we have to keep THESE guys? Can't we just LOSE some of these guys?"

:)

Originally posted by Al13
i read that torrin tucker guy, that no one picked in the draft is havin a good camp with the cowboys so far, i still don´t know why he wasn´t worth a 7th rounder to our staff

I myself wanted Miami to get Torrin Tucker from the undrafted free agency market and I actually argued as to why Whitley was chosen over Tucker in the third round.. It has to do with tuckers attitude problem.. He's known as a huge "hothead" and you know Wannstedt, he drafts guys with very good character.. That would be the only way to explain it.. Tucker is a hell of a baller though..

I would think that if the coaching staff see's Whitley as a down the road potentiol type player, that they would try and put Yates on the P.S. Since he was undrafted, there is less known about him, and it would be easier to sneek him onto the P.S.

Neither one of them would play a single down this season if all our starters and primary back-ups stay healthy anyway.

This way we keep them both for the future.

Back
Top Bottom