That wonderful word "Figurehead" makes this possible... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

That wonderful word "Figurehead" makes this possible...

PhinstiGator

Hungry For A Championship
Reaction score
Afterall, Marino was not yet qualified to be VP. On all accounts there would be a process...a learning curve. It would be a role that he would grow into. His influence this year would be minimal...yet had the potential for a great longterm upside dividends.

Then that wonderful word "Figurehead" is thrown out. It's a sticky little word. Rather annoying. It speaks of a distrust for authority..."they are just trying to fool us" mentality. I don't think Dan Marino liked this word associated with his name. He would have to shake it off as soon as possible.

But that wasn't the original plan. The original plan was a "learning curve". Maybe it could be described as an "Internship". But, you can't use that word either...even though it relates directly to a lack of experience.

Marino would have to adjust his plans. They would have to accelerate. He would have to learn quickly to be able to shake that disrespectable word. If Spielman worked 70 hours a week...so would he. If he would normally only visit the combine a day or two to get a "feel"...now he would be there "full throttle".

Marino felt the pressure to perform right away. It was never meant to be that way. He stepped up in the pocket and delivered an "I'll pass". His pass fell short of our expectations.

But, in all likelyhood...it was our expectations that made him re-think. If he had to do all this extra work in order to prove himself, it would not be good for his family. If he asserted his authority in the Dolphin organization before he was ready, it would ultimately harm the team. Certainly, much of the pressure came from inside of Marino. That's the kind of person he his. He would not let this figurehead word stick to him and he would not do any harm to his family.

I respect Marino. I wish that fans and reporters would have allowed him to intern in his exalted position...to mature as a leader in the Dolphin organization before our eyes. The upside would have been huge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect Marino too.

But why the dishonesty???
He told us that what Mortensen was reporting was false and he couldn't wait to assume his new position.

That was a needless lie.

Originally posted by Superself
I respect Marino too.

But why the dishonesty???
He told us that what Mortensen was reporting was false and he couldn't wait to assume his new position.

That was a needless lie.

It does appear that someone lied. I wish I knew the real story. Mr. H claims that he knew nothing about Marino's "second thoughts" until the Mortenson story came out.

It's very odd that Marino would deny it and a couple days later do exactly what he denied.

Maybe Mort's report became a self-fullfilling prophecy. Maybe the fact that everyone believed the report added to the sourness of the new position.

I don't like it. Marino should have been given a "Grace" period to settle into the role. There was no such thing. He had to go on the defensive from day one. It's kind of sad. Surely what Mr. H was trying to do with Marino would have worked in the long run.

But that's not the way things are done in the NFL. It was too inovative. It was too unformed and undefined. It was called a sham from day one. It's a shame that it worked out in such a way. Marino would have worked hard for this team for many years. Now, he is just a talking head on TV.

dan wants to be a talking head on tv.. he doesnt want to work 12 hours a day and be away from his family. he has a job where he works 5 months out of the year and gets paid more money, and is taken seriously when doing.. the pressure was on wayne at the end of the season to make a change, but he didnt want too. so he thought he would make a lot of people happy when he brought in marino.. and a lot of you people on this board were jerking off over his hiring until yesterday.. when the fog and mirrors were lifted.
if youre not happy with the way the dolphins are running things then there is only one thing that you can do.. stop buying season tickets, stop buying ricky williams and jay fiedler jerseys (shame on anyone who buys a JF jersey). stop paying the dolphins for doing what you think is wrong.. you have to show this organizations who really runs the show..not wanny, speilman, or even wayne. its the fans who own the dolphins, and this organization will realize that when the seats are empty next season.

Originally posted by Jnaledu3
... when the fog and mirrors were lifted.

There was NO fog and mirrors. The job was upfront described as a "learning curve" or a "feel thing". It should have been obvious to everyone that Marino needed time to develop into this job.

He needed experience before he held the responsibility. Fans & reporters wanted him to have the responsibility NOW.

In all honesty, the VP job could be a 40 hour a week job for someone who is experienced. Marino needed to put in the extra time because he wanted to earn the responsibility as quick as possible.

The Marino hiring was a wise move all around. But it was inovative. Marino...like a medical intern...would require a couple years of old-fashioned experience to begin to reach his potential.

Back
Top Bottom