The 2006 Rookie QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Rookie QB's

dolfn66

Starter
Reaction score
I have to admit I haven't had the opportunity to see a lot of college ball this year. I have seen Leinart, Young and Quinn play and I'm impressed with each for different reasons. However what I need is help in understanding why you guys have mentioned some of the other QB's like Omar Jacobs or Jay Cutler? I didn't see any of them play and would like to know what stands out the most of these players and would make them a good fit for Nick Saban and our Miami Dolphins.

Everyone is high on Cutler because he has loads of talent. Good athleticism, great arm strength, a lightning quick release, and good leadership. He almost made a very bad Vanderbilt team admirable last year all by himself. He could end up in the top 10.

Jacobs is much more of a project but has an enormous upside. He had a phenominal soph season, but this past season he wasn't as good. It's not that he really has that much talent around him either, but he is very raw. He'll probably go early on the second day.

sports24/7 said:
Everyone is high on Cutler because he has loads of talent. Good athleticism, great arm strength, a lightning quick release, and good leadership. He almost made a very bad Vanderbilt team admirable last year all by himself. He could end up in the top 10.

If you're talking quick release as in Marino quick he'll get my vote.

Cutler has all the tools needed to make a good QB in the NFL. He is a smart guy, has good athletic ability, strong arm, cool under pressure, and is a good leader. His stock has beeen going up and up. He is now believed to go in the top 10.
Jacobs also has all the physycal atributes, but his delivery needs to be corrected, also he had a junior year that was not as good as some predicted. It was still good if you look at the numbers, but some had hoped for more. This could have been do to some injuries, or the lack of talent around him. Also he plays in a system that is conducive to high qb numbers. It is believe that he will go 2nd or 3rd rd in the upcoming draft.

Jacobs was injury plagued all season, I believe at one point he broke his collar bone? That may have just been a rumor around here, I sure hope the 'phins draft him, HES FROM MY HOME TOWN!!! DRAFT OMAR!

PHINSfan said:
Cutler has all the tools needed to make a good QB in the NFL. He is a smart guy, has good athletic ability, strong arm, cool under pressure, and is a good leader. His stock has beeen going up and up. He is now believed to go in the top 10.
Jacobs also has all the physycal atributes, but his delivery needs to be corrected, also he had a junior year that was not as good as some predicted. It was still good if you look at the numbers, but some had hoped for more. This could have been do to some injuries, or the lack of talent around him. Also he plays in a system that is conducive to high qb numbers. It is believe that he will go 2nd or 3rd rd in the upcoming draft.

How is Cutler's mobility? Is he as mobile as say.. Steve Young was?

cutler is very athletic, he was the leading rusher for the team last year, and im not sure bout this past season but im sure he was close to leading the team again

southpawstu19 said:
cutler is very athletic, he was the leading rusher for the team last year, and im not sure bout this past season but im sure he was close to leading the team again

great, It always makes it more exciting when your QB can take the ball himself.

I say, if the Dolphins can not get Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler in this draft, they keep Gus Frerrote and manage the team with him starting, for one more year, and try to get a chance at Brady Quinn the following draft.

2006-2007 Top Rated QB's (Opinion):
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler
Brady Quinn

I'm sorry, but I don't see Vince Young successful in the NFL. Trust me, no team in the NFL will let him rush the ball like he did against USC's 39th ranked defense. They don't even allow Michael Vick rush the ball like he used to.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colle...,83077.story?coll=la-homepage-calendar-widget

Vertical Limit said:
I say, if the Dolphins can not get Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler in this draft, they keep Gus Frerrote and manage the team with him starting, for one more year, and try to get a chance at Brady Quinn the following draft.

2006-2007 Top Rated QB's (Opinion):
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler
Brady Quinn

I'm sorry, but I don't see Vince Young successful in the NFL. Trust me, no team in the NFL will let him rush the ball like he did against USC's 39th ranked defense. They don't even allow Michael Vick rush the ball like he used to.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/la-sp-nfl6jan06,0,83077.story?coll=la-homepage-calendar-widget

i sorta disagree with you... Brady Quinm will be top 5 next year and we wont be in position to get him...i dont know anything about the sophmore class or who is trying to come out next year. But another year for Quinn and he will most definately be top ten he is already Cerebral just imagine what one more year of coaching will do

I think Vince Young will be successful as a pro even more so than Michael Vick.
If the team that drafts him is smart, they won't handcuff him the way Mora has with Vick, just let him be himself. The only thing I can see anyone possibly changing is his throwing motion.

dolfn66 said:
How is Cutler's mobility? Is he as mobile as say.. Steve Young was?

Quite mobile. He'll read the field the first and try to find an open guy. But if he doesn't, or if he has to bail, he can be a legit running threat.

Back
Top Bottom