The 2007 Mets Thread | Page 69 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Mets Thread

Good trade for the Mets; neither Butera nor Martin looks to be anything great as a prospect.

Wow, that was pleasantly surprising. I'm a Gotay fan too, but this guy is darn near perfect for us.

I like Gotay, but yeah, Castillo's defense is a huge upgrade, and he's an excellent #2 hitter.

We need to pick up a reliever and maybe a spare outfielder Still, but Omar seems to find these parts.

Castillo & Anderson are key pick ups, and if Pedro comes back, we will be okay.

Phills did not make any moves to scare you, the Braves did make some good moves.

Ok Mets fans, its time for a game. Remember how some of you wanted Zito so bad you were willing to give up Milledge + at last years trade deadline? Well guess which 2 pitchers these stats belonged to before friday?

Pitcher A: Pitcher B:
18 games 20 games
98 innings 117 innings
104 hits allowed 113 hits allowed
56 runs allowed 71 runs
12 hr 14 hr
48 BB 54 BB
34 K 78 K
5 win 7 win
7 losses 10 losses
1.55 whip 1.43 whip
2.79 BAA 252 BAA
5.05 ERA 5.00 ERA

Just keep it in mind next time you want a bigtime FA and why Im hesitant to pursue pitchers with hefty longterm contracts. :wink:

Only reason I bring this up is cause Steve Phillips keeps saying we need another starting pitcher when in fact we have maine and ollie with era's under 3 and el duque at 3.02 with Glavine's best still to come and Pedro returning.
In case anyone was interested the answers are:
Pitcher A: Steve Trachsel
Pitcher B: Barry Zito

Just thought youd like to know so we can remember how much better at this omar is then Steve Phillips. :)

Beltran to the DL - strained left oblique....always something with him. Its like if hes not 100% he cant play. I feel like hes been on the Dl since may the way hes been playing.

One note about the Castillo trade that makes it look even sillier: NYM already catch more balls put into play then any team in baseball. So does getting Castillo for defensive purposes make much sense? http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/index.php?cid=204024

Whats done is done but unless Castillo starts playing like he did 5 years ago Im not gonna love this trade regardless of the fact we gave up nothing of significance for him.

the trades a wash.. when i first heard about castillo coming to 2b, i was pretty happy ( i thought about his speed and glove). i then looked up his stats and he hasnt been a real base stealing threat since 2002... and as someone mentioned earlier, he has only 14 extra base hits w/ 18 rbis... nothing special at all.

Well, I always thought Castillo was overrated as a base stealer anyway. Look at those SB/CS ratios. I think someone figured out that if you're not successful at least 70% of the time, you're actually costing your team runs. So frankly, I'm glad he's running less. That ludicrous 2003 season when he ran 40 times and was caught 19 was probably what made him rethink his approach.

As for Castillo/Gotay, here's the thing: there is NOTHING in Gotay's history that suggests to us that he's a .350 hitter with .500 slugging power. Granted, his minor league stats are probably skewed downward because the idiotic Royals organization had a bad history of overpromoting guys before Dayton Moore came on. Even so, 2200+ minor league at bats tell us that he's really probably a .270+ hitter with decent plate patience (which he has not shown with the Mets, incidentally - 7 walks in 130 plate appearances) and above-average power for a 2B. Right now, he's playing light years above that, and is overdue for a decline. Let him have that as a bench player.

And of course, Gotay is awful defensively. In an ideal world, he'd be an infield supersub; backing up at each infield position and getting 300-400 plate appearances in the process. He played a little 3rd and short in the minors, and frankly, I think they need to give Delgado a few more days off against tough lefties anyway (though Gotay seems to hit RHP better than LHP), especially with his advancing age. Castillo has slipped a touch defensively, but he's still above average, and a damn sight better than Gotay, Damion Easley or the injured Jose Valentin. So, the Mets already-good defense just got a good bit better. On a starting staff with only two real strikeout pitchers (Maine and Perez), we need all the defense we can get.

Beltran's like a Ferrari; when everything is good, he's phenomenal. But when one little thing is off-kilter, he goes to ****. (Thank goodness, for his sake, that football hasn't caught on in Puerto Rico yet.) Frankly, I'm sort of glad he went on the DL, because I think he needed to sit for a couple weeks to get healthy and rested. He's had a million small things wrong this year, nothing that rest wouldn't cure, but I don't think he wanted to ask out of the lineup for a week or two, nor did Willie want to sit him. So this may not be a bad thing.

No question castillo is a better defensive player but by how much? His range has declined, hes still above average but right now this team is struggling to score runs and in two situations last night Castilo GIDP with the bases loaded and failed to get a runner home from 3rd with less then two outs. He cant get a ball deep in to the outfield, heck he struggles to get anything out of the infield.

Gotay for all his impatience (and this is the one thing I like about castillo) and below average defense is coming through in those situational spots. And for a team struggling to score runs thats paramount.

What truly worries me though is that willie will stay with Green in rf and alou in lf and we'll have a washed up rf, a 2b who cant drive in a run, and Beltran continuing to struggle while Delgado continues to struggle with RISP. And what all this does is put everything on Wright and Reyes. And the kids shouldnt have all the responsibility regardless of how good they are because absolutely no one else in this line up is presenting any kind of consistant threat right now....and castillo cant do that but gotay can even if he is more a 270 hitter.

BTW, I saw Sosa pitched out of the pen during the extra innings last night. Has he been moved to the pen for good? I expect that to happen when Pedro returns, but it seems early now.

Ramon Castro baby!!!
Lo Duca can take his time. Really take his time.
Does anyone think Castro becomes the full time catcher next year?

Oliver Perez and Cement Shoes Green are doing a mighty fine impression of the Bad News Bears tonight :nono:

BTW, I saw Sosa pitched out of the pen during the extra innings last night. Has he been moved to the pen for good? I expect that to happen when Pedro returns, but it seems early now.
I think sosa only came out of the pen because yesterday was his day to throw in between starts. I think its going to be a permanent move when pedro comes back as hes a perfect long man and has experience in that role.
I dont think hes going to be there permanently but I wouldnt mind if Pelfrey or Humber got a shot for a month cause sosa hasnt been good as a starter for about 2 months

Back
Top Bottom