The All-22: Watching tape with Mackensie Alexander | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-22: Watching tape with Mackensie Alexander

Geforce

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Clemson cornerback Mackensie Alexander has been one of the nation’s better pass defenders over the last couple years, a performance that has earned him a first-round grade in the mind of most pundits. Still, it took a brilliant podium performance at the combine for Alexander’s reputation to get the attention of most NFL fans. Perhaps the most quotable moment in a series of them was when the 5' 10" Alexander was asked about covering bigger receivers, such as Notre Dame speed demon Will Fuller. Alexander gave no quarter at the podium, just as he never has on the field.

“I know he’s the deep, vertical guy,” Alexander said of Fuller, who had a grand total of one catch with Alexander covering him when Clemson and Notre Dame met in 2015. “He just ran 4.3. I’m proud of him. You know he’s a fast guy, I’m fast too. You know what I mean? I know he’s a vertical guy. If I take his vertical game away, I wouldn’t say he sucks, but he’s not that good. Then you force [Notre Dame coach Brian] Kelly to make him go in the screen game, which they did against us a lot just to get him touches. Feed him some kind of way. You want your playmakers getting the ball some kind of way. The game is short, and you can only do so much.

“A guy like me who can understand the game and can break it down to you guys in front of you like this, it shows you my preparation and who I am as a man. This means a lot to me. This ain’t just me coming out here and speaking to you guys. I’m 22, but I’m ready, and I’m ready to compete with anybody. There’s nobody more dedicated than me, who’s put more time and who’s more of a competitor than me. I don’t care, you can line up a safety. We can break down film, we can break down anything. I’m here prepared, and I’m telling you I’m the best corner in this draft class.”

So, the full Mackensie Alexander story will have to wait—he talked for half an hour about five plays, and that’s what we have.

What will the team that drafts Alexander get? A highly competitive, ferociously intelligent player who never gives up. He’s on the short end of the scale for the modern pass defender, but the more tape you watch, the easier it is to see that he has a legitimate future as an above average NFL starter.

To read about the five plays Mackensie talks about follow the link.
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/18/nfl-draft-mackensie-alexander-clemson-highlights-tape

I think he is a early day two pick. His rambling is about what you get from every corner that you put a mic in front of. Better than what you get from Winston though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom