The Better QB Backup? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Better QB Backup?

Mike White or Skylar Thompson?
Well, judging by who McD had active, he thinks White.

He also made a comment recently (in response to a PC question) that White was not only consistent, but also had a better overall command of the offense.

He also implied l, as I understood it, that while Thompson's highs were higher, his lows were also lower.

If Tua went down for a short time or you just need a qb to finish the game, White or Thompson could do. But if it's a several game situation you might look at getting a qb with starting experience to come out of retirement. There are usually 2 or 3 that teams know they can call on short notice. Like the Browns did with Flacco last season.

If Tua goes down and your goal is to still win games, White would be the better option due to experience alone. However, either way I think the team would struggle when playing most teams with either at qb.
IDK about "most teams". Playoff caliber teams would be a challenge.

That being said, for a game or two, teams wouldn't have tendencies to gameplan for, and I have to think McD would call the games differently than he would with QB1.

Anything long term? Would be tough to hold the fort.

If Tua went down for a short time or you just need a qb to finish the game, White or Thompson could do. But if it's a several game situation you might look at getting a qb with starting experience to come out of retirement. There are usually 2 or 3 that teams know they can call on short notice. Like the Browns did with Flacco last season.
White has starting experience and has been in the offense.

Expecting someone out of retirement to learn the system, and play behind a questionable and unfamiliar Oline?

White has starting experience and has been in the offense.

Expecting someone out of retirement to learn the system, and play behind a questionable and unfamiliar Oline?
There will be qbs on the unemployed free agent market or in early retirement that will have more starting experience that White. I think some Vets will be able to pick up the offense quick enough to be more effective than White. If it were a several game situation or the remainder of the season, I might even try to trade for someone like Mac Jones if the price is right. As I mentionedin another thread, I think Bailey Zappe will available at the end of training camp and I believe he would be a better fit to be Miami's backup than Thompson or White.

There will be qbs on the unemployed free agent market or in early retirement that will have more starting experience that White. I think some Vets will be able to pick up the offense quick enough to be more effective than White.
For example?

The last quality back up QB the Dolphins had was Don Strock. The Dolphins will only go as far as Tua takes them and if he is injured and out most of the season, it won’t matter which of the present backups replace him.

With a healthy Tua, the Dolphins should win 10-12 games and make the playoffs. Without Tua, the Dolphins would be lucky to win 5 games with White or Thompson at QB.

Bailey Zappe could/should be available. Tannehill. Maybe Matt Ryan.
Zappe has no more experience than White.

RT and MR are both statues at this point.

I'll take my chances with White. Now I don't think he's anything great, but he showed some ability with the jests and like I said, being in the system for going on two years is an asset IMO

Bailey Zappe could/should be available. Tannehill. Maybe Matt Ryan.

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

Talk about the lesser of 2 evils. I don't think it really matters. Both are horrific. Flip a coin.

The last quality back up QB the Dolphins had was Don Strock. The Dolphins will only go as far as Tua takes them and if he is injured and out most of the season, it won’t matter which of the present backups replace him.

With a healthy Tua, the Dolphins should win 10-12 games and make the playoffs. Without Tua, the Dolphins would be lucky to win 5 games with White or Thompson at QB.
I think Fitzpatrick was a great backup, but unfortunately in the situation (in Miami) it was hard to say what he was supposed to be. He was really experienced and played in so many different systems. Smart guy.

Our last "bring him from retirement" guy leaves a bad taste in my mouth (that Bears guy with Gase). I'm neutral on White. Really haven't followed him enough to know much. Saw him get a TD for Miami in the Denver game, but that is another story.

Back
Top Bottom