The cap and if Ricky comes back? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The cap and if Ricky comes back?

NorFlaFin

PowerHungryMo'fo
Reaction score
If Ricky does come back, how does his salary affect the cap?

Will he have to play under the terms of his old contract?

Any info?

His previous contract would be re-instated, but I'm sure that allowing RW to return would require him to re-work the deal that significantly "punishes" him if he were to walk away again. Miami could waive the judgement against RW in return for a huge reduction in the salaries ($3.735 million, $3.74 million, and $3.5 million) plus make his compensation strictly based upon production. Definitely no upfront bonus money

Clumpy said:
His previous contract would be re-instated, but I'm sure that allowing RW to return would require him to re-work the deal that significantly "punishes" him if he were to walk away again. Miami could waive the judgement against RW in return for a huge reduction in the salaries ($3.735 million, $3.74 million, and $3.5 million) plus make his compensation strictly based upon production. Definitely no upfront bonus money

That doesn't make any sense. If the judgement is not forgotten if the current contract is completed there is no reason to return. He can declare bankruptcy and maybe avoid the judgement and contact altogether becoming a Free Agent. Not to mention that it makes no sense that the judgement is valid if the contract is completed because that was the reason for the the judgement in the first place.

Maybe someone could explain how a judgement for non-completion of a contract still makes sense if the contract is completed??? And if a new contract is renegotiated would you sign it if it required that the judgement was still due if you complete your obligations???

The base salaries and incentives now in his contract are cheap. Reducing them to the minimum and agreeing to another term that takes away earned incentives and requires that they be refunded is IMO ridiculous. I don't think a player ever signs a contract with a Ricky Williams clause ever again. The NFLPA is talking of banning this type clause in the next CBA agreement.

The current contract already has the clause of refunding earned incentives if the contract is not completed and no signing bonus is needed to complete it. This makes the most sense to me because I don't think the Dolphins get a better deal if they want Ricky to return. And if this contract is not completed the judgement is probably still valid.

So, Miami allows RW to return under the terms of his previous contract without any protection to the organization? No way in he!! RW comes back with salaries in access of $3 million/yr, no way in he!! Miami pays him any money upfront in the form of a signing bonus, no way in he!! Miami allows him to return without some form of guarantee that he will not pull the same BS again. If they do, the FO people are morons

It's better that Miami just say no to RW and move on

Clumpy said:
So, Miami allows RW to return under the terms of his previous contract without any protection to the organization? No way in he!! RW comes back with salaries in access of $3 million/yr, no way in he!! Miami pays him any money upfront in the form of a signing bonus, no way in he!! Miami allows him to return without some form of guarantee that he will not pull the same BS again. If they do, the FO people are morons

Williams has thumbed his nose at the Dolphins and the NFL. It is Saban that is trying to utilize all his assets and talking about Ricky's value through a team contribution or trade, which gives Williams all the leverage. I think he will thumb his nose at Saban too but it is Saban reaching out to Ricky. We all know the reason why: Talent. Talent that is worth more than $3 million a year if you want it.

The Dolphins hold Ricky's rights by the contract that is currently being tolled and would be the basis of Ricky coming back if Saban sells him on the idea. This contract already contains the Ricky Williams clause that I doubt he will ever sign again. The judgment may still be valid and more could be added with this contract if he quits before completion.

Now if Ricky does claim bankruptcy and somehow becomes a Free Agent and he wants to come back to the NFL then teams will probably take your view.

I personally think the Ricky Williams clause is dead. A team can rid itself of a player whenever it wants and not owe the player anything. But if a player wants to quit he has to repay the incentive bonuses he earned??? This does not condone when and why Ricky quit but the repayment of incentive money earned.

I can see this type of clause making sense in a construction contract because a building has no real value unless complete. Personal service is complete when the action is completed or the amount achieved in a certain time frame, it is earned or not. Paid or not.

Clumpy said:

Unbelievable........
A post from YOU that I agree with!
:eek:

Marino1983

Another question,

If Williams does come back, can the NFLPA force the Fins to pay Ricky under the terms of his old contract? If so, could Williams use that as leverage to get himself declared a free agent(cut).

It would probably be an incredibly cheap deal, considering that Williams will receive that 8 million back.

So...as we get closer to this actually happening, does anyone have any thoughts as to how his deal is going to get structured?

The structure of the current deal is already in the Dolphins favor. No signing bonus, minimum salary, repayment of any incentive bonus earned and unearned signing bonus if the contract is not completed so far and in the future. So far that's $8.6 million.

If the Dolphins want the situation to have a chance of success collection of the $8.6 million judgment should be postponed and not collected if the contract is completed. Then base salary has to be agreed upon somewhere, probably a middle ground of $2 million, between the minimum of $540k and what Ricky was due to make, $3.735 million. The incentive bonuses that the contract has may stay the same or be renegotiated too, to make up for a smaller salary.

If both parties are not reasonable the situation could go to arbitration and that is a big unknown. If Ricky wins the Dolphins may want to release him. If the Dolphins win who knows what Ricky does??? Quit again, play to be traded and not have to pay back the $8.6 million or a combination of both???

NFL salaries are ridiculous.....Why in the world the NFL owners dont cartel a decision (binding signed contract, ALL the owners sign)to pay ALL players the league minimum...plus this amount xtra for so many yards, that amount xtra for so many tackles. Im thinking itd be great if players salaries were 20% salary and 80% incentives IF the met definded goals...let a player back up his reputed potential, then if he walks out for personal reasons it isnt a cap problem. Players are over paid for 1 reason and 1 reason only, to keep another team from getting them, the NFL should take a wake up call from the NHL.

Back
Top Bottom