The Colts defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Colts defense

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
I know Dungy is a good coach, but I don't think the people that think their d will improve greatly understand how bad they are. The have one of the smallest D lines in the league, and picking D.Freeny(i will come back to Freeny) didn't help that at all. Their secondary is a joke at best. They have marginal talent at LB, but no true superstar. Dungy may be good but he doesn't have any one as talented as the worst starter he had in Tampa. Donnie Abraham who couldn't find playing time in Dungy's d last year would still be better than all four of his starting secondary in Indy. He did take 2 d lineman early in the draft, but Freeny and Tripplet have more ?s next to their names than any others taken in the first 2 rounds. Freeny relyed on his speed to dominate at Syracuse, but didn't record 1 sack in either game against Miami. He may end up being good when he bulks up, but willhave a hard time keeping his energy up when he is faceing 300lb monstersthat move just as quick as he does. I just don't see that much improvement in one season. They did nothing in free agency on defense. The only thing this defense has going for it is they get to play Houston twice, but then again Eddie George get to run all over them twice as well.

Freeney is going to be very good. He is very fast and although he was a reach, he fits prefectly into his scheme and where they play. I thought that it was a good pick, and that Tripplet was a good pick as well.

The right Defensive coordinator can turn a defense that was a joke one year to a very good one the next. Case and point: Dallas. 2 seasons ago, They had no defense, Everyone and their grandma ran on them. Last season, with almost the exact same personnel, they ranked 4th in the league, I think. If Dungy can do this to do the Colts, they will be very, very dangerous. They don't even have to be in the top 10, if they can get a defense ranked 10-15, thats all they'll need with Peyton and Co.

I think one of the biggest ? with the Colts is James. Will he be the same? Is he injury prone? The defense will be average, in my opinion. Last year they had one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

IMO... Dungy will improve the defense, but they on't dominate yet.. it's going to take some work. The offense was demorailzed last year, if they can rally around that, Peyton et al will be dangerous... or they could sink deeper if they don't have success early... Dungy definately has his work cut out for him, he did a good job on the D in Tampa, but seemed to ignore the offense. He has a better offense to start with in Indy, but if he ingores it, it will shrivel up also. I'm not convinced that he's going to be able to raise that D from the ashes in a single off season...he may prove me wrong, we'll see.

Originally posted by Dajesus
I Freeny relyed on his speed to dominate at Syracuse, but didn't record 1 sack in either game against Miami. He may end up being good when he bulks up, but willhave a hard time keeping his energy up when he is faceing 300lb monstersthat move just as quick as he does.
I don't know much about Syracuse and didn't see their games against Miami last year. But under the premise that Miami had a really good OL, did Syracuse have anyone else besides this guy on their DL? With Miami's talent at OL they could easily have used a scheme to bounce lone good DT's between guard and tackle.

Gonzalez and McKinnie never allowed a sack, so you can't say it is a bad thing that Freeney didn't get one.

i colts defense will barly imporve this year..until they address another cb

Back
Top Bottom