The debate in the warroom. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The debate in the warroom.

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear what sort of debating will go on.

In one corner, you have an offensive line coach that believes he can whip overweight linemen into shape and get them to play at their highest level. He did it with Nate Newton and Erik Williams in Dallas, and he did it with Jamie Nails in Miami. Tony Wise will probably be campaigning for Shawn Andrews in the draft.

You have a head coach who is this OL coach's best friend, and he will likely side with his OL coach on this. After all, this team needs to fix the OL to have the type of running game Dave wants.

On the other side, you have an offensive coordinator that is watering at the mouth about the options three very good wide receivers on one team will present. Whether it is Michael Clayton or Michael Jenkins, Joel Collier has to be enamoured with what he would be able to do with the passing game if he had one of them along with David Boston, Chris Chambers, and Randy McMichael.

In another corner, you have a defensive coordinator who states that Antuan Edwards has durability issues and Arturo Freeman hasn't exactly gained his confidence yet. So, he will be looking at a guy like Matt Ware or Sean Jones with this pick.

Then, you have a scouting staff who is looking at this from an ability standpoint only and may have some red flags on a few of the players in discussion.

Finally, you have the head man in Rick Spielman who has to make heads or tails of the situation and pretty much come to a decision that everyone (or mostly everyone) will agree with. He has to listen to his coaches' desires as well as the information his scouts supply him, and then he has to give the final yes or no to a certain player.

No Debate

We need a youth infusion on defense to follow the trend Spielman has started on the offense. We have two guys competing for the RG position, on of which was a 3rd rd pick last year. Why waste our 1st rd pick on a position on which we invested such a valuable pick last year? We need to give Whitley his shot, or better yet trade down and acquire welbourne. DT or S should be the choice, with better value by trading down... STARKS OR SEAN JONES AT THE 28TH PICK (from philly)!!!!!!!

Starks that would be a major reach. Also why would our O-cordnator want a reciever?

Our O-Coordinator wants to dictate mismatches. It is difficult to dictate mismatches when you have just two quality wide receivers. Having a third wide receiver creates play calling options. The better offenses in the league have thee wide receivers that can play. Miami has two.

I don,t think there will be a problem here, RS will turn to Wanny and say"its my call" and that will be that! I see no way RS lets Wanny get him fired!! He likes his new job too much!

AzDolfan543413 said:
Starks that would be a major reach. Also why would our O-cordnator want a reciever?

I don't see why Starks is a reach at 28. Just last week, everyone and their brother had him at 23 to Seattle. Even if his stock has dropped, for him to be considered a reach (let alone a MAJOR reach) at 28 seems a little unreasonable, unless he's been binging on chicken wings and cocaine for the last month.

Maybe Rick will do what Wannstedt has been doing all this time...pulling names from a hat. "With the 20th selection the Miami Dolphins choose..Bilbo Jackson..Bilbo??..who the @*%! is that??" :tongue:

Seriously though Spielman has a tough decision to make but I trust him. I think he'll do what's best for the team..even if it means drafting a player who's not popular with the fans.

FakeSpike13 said:
We need a youth infusion on defense to follow the trend Spielman has started on the offense. We have two guys competing for the RG position, on of which was a 3rd rd pick last year. Why waste our 1st rd pick on a position on which we invested such a valuable pick last year? We need to give Whitley his shot, or better yet trade down and acquire welbourne. DT or S should be the choice, with better value by trading down... STARKS OR SEAN JONES AT THE 28TH PICK (from philly)!!!!!!!

You make alot of sense and I actually agree with alot of your points but what do you think will happen if the PHINS draft defense again!!!! I love Sean Jones and I just don't trust Freeman back there! I would not be upset at all if we took Sean Jones in a trade down!!

To me if we get welbourne we did take offense with our first pick the o-line will have been adressed.

To reiterate we have one O-line spot "hole" to fill after that whatever we draft ahould be for "impact" WR or DL or DB.

Pluggin'

I think the PHINS can plug in Whitley or Yates. I saw alot of upside in YATES when he played against the Ravens last season. Let's be real, I think someone will snag ANDREWS before 20th pick. So I say trade down or value pick. I am so STOKED that the DRAFT is tomorrow! It's like X-MAS Eve!!! :D BODACIOUS BROTHER!!!!! :D

the other thing that spielman is thinking in the back of his mind is that he can get Perry to come back for cheaper. we are not that depleted of Ol as we think.

KBISBACK said:
I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear what sort of debating will go on.

In one corner, you have an offensive line coach that believes he can whip overweight linemen into shape and get them to play at their highest level. He did it with Nate Newton and Erik Williams in Dallas, and he did it with Jamie Nails in Miami. Tony Wise will probably be campaigning for Shawn Andrews in the draft.

You have a head coach who is this OL coach's best friend, and he will likely side with his OL coach on this. After all, this team needs to fix the OL to have the type of running game Dave wants.

On the other side, you have an offensive coordinator that is watering at the mouth about the options three very good wide receivers on one team will present. Whether it is Michael Clayton or Michael Jenkins, Joel Collier has to be enamoured with what he would be able to do with the passing game if he had one of them along with David Boston, Chris Chambers, and Randy McMichael.

In another corner, you have a defensive coordinator who states that Antuan Edwards has durability issues and Arturo Freeman hasn't exactly gained his confidence yet. So, he will be looking at a guy like Matt Ware or Sean Jones with this pick.

Then, you have a scouting staff who is looking at this from an ability standpoint only and may have some red flags on a few of the players in discussion.

Finally, you have the head man in Rick Spielman who has to make heads or tails of the situation and pretty much come to a decision that everyone (or mostly everyone) will agree with. He has to listen to his coaches' desires as well as the information his scouts supply him, and then he has to give the final yes or no to a certain player.

I doubt that Wanny wants us to draft an offensive player in the first round. Also, I would guess that Collier would want to draft Andrews. Collier was a running backs coach and he understands that Ricky needs someone to block for him. Offensive line is a bigger hole and Collier is probably more likely to favor drafting Andrews than a WR.

Back
Top Bottom