The Dolphin Defensive Scheme | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphin Defensive Scheme

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score

I thought we should have a thread where we discuss what the Dolphins are actually doing on defense.

Half, or more of the people posting and a frightening number of people who write articles about this team are still talking about our defense like we were still running a wide nine under Burke.

For example,people are still calling Charles Harris a DE. Harris is an OLB in this scheme. Christian Wilkins and John Jenkins are DE's. I don't even know what they are calling the Tank Carradine position. Teams use there own language. Maybe it's just a traditional Jack LB.

Yes, there are 4-3 sets, and sets with a 6-tech and all that, and that is what I find interesting.

I am really looking forward to watching this defense develop.

Does anyone have any info on how they are using our guys in different sets? How often are we in a base 3-4? What kind of exotic blitz's are we using? etc.

They are no longer a 4-3 Base D. They are now 3-4 Base. This is our packages: Basic 3-4 book with a 3-4 Under sets / 46 Bear D and Normal sets/ Nickel 2-4-5, 3-3-5 and 1-5-5, Dime 4-1-6, Dollar 3-2-6 and Quarter 3-1-7) or Balanced (3-4 Hybrid with a 46 Bear and Normal, Nickel 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 1-5-5 Prowl, Dime 4-1-6, Dollar 3-2-6 and Quarter 3-1-7).

I used coach 3-4 defense at USCSB. So I know quite a bit.

They are no longer a 4-3 Base D. They are now 3-4 Base. This is our packages: Basic 3-4 book with a 3-4 Under sets / 46 Bear D and Normal sets/ Nickel 2-4-5, 3-3-5 and 1-5-5, Dime 4-1-6, Dollar 3-2-6 and Quarter 3-1-7) or Balanced (3-4 Hybrid with a 46 Bear and Normal, Nickel 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 1-5-5 Prowl, Dime 4-1-6, Dollar 3-2-6 and Quarter 3-1-7).

I used coach 3-4 defense at USCSB. So I know quite a bit.

Good stuff. So, in your opinion, is Taco going to be a fit in this defense?? Do we have a role for him? even as just a piece in a hybrid set?

Should he add weight and move inside, or drop a few and try to be an edge guy exclusively?

I thought we should have a thread where we discuss what the Dolphins are actually doing on defense.

Half, or more of the people posting and a frightening number of people who write articles about this team are still talking about our defense like we were still running a wide nine under Burke.

For example,people are still calling Charles Harris a DE. Harris is an OLB in this scheme. Christian Wilkins and John Jenkins are DE's. I don't even know what they are calling the Tank Carradine position. Teams use there own language. Maybe it's just a traditional Jack LB.

Yes, there are 4-3 sets, and sets with a 6-tech and all that, and that is what I find interesting.

I am really looking forward to watching this defense develop.

Does anyone have any info on how they are using our guys in different sets? How often are we in a base 3-4? What kind of exotic blitz's are we using? etc.
Excellent post. Much of the football media are fixated on the perception of tanking and don't understand the magnitude of Defensive structural change that Miami has made. I wouldn't be surprised if our Dolphins Defense shows significant improvement when least expected.

The defense seemed much better against the Patriots. If we take another step against the Cowboys that would be a good sign. Whoever made this opening schedule for us really stuck it to us, Ravens, Patriots, Cowboys then Chargers. That would be tough for any team but a team with a depleted roster, that's tanking it's just cruel and unusual punishment. The Cowboys look like a freaking powerhouse this year so I'm expecting a severe beat down on the road. I just hope we can make a fight of it and we come out healthy.

excellent post! I too want to see the evolution of our defence throughout the year.

Our defensive scheme? This was planned?
Just exactly how quickly did you expect this scheme to be implemented?

I don't know about anyone else, but I was never under the delusion that this wasn't a season long endeavor, and may well take until the middle of next season, before we can judge success or failure.

I admit, that first game was a horrendous failure, but some corrections were made last week, and I expect them to improve steadily until, at some point, the light comes on.

Even in the best case, it's hard to mask our serious flaws at some positions, like corner 2, and the lack of a dominant pass rusher.

Our defensive scheme? This was planned?

Yes, it was planned. I assume you are making a smarky comment about the results.

For instance, picking up Jenkins was a deliberate, good move to acquire a 3-4 defensive end. We needed a body that could hold up against the blocking schemes to free up the linebackers to make plays. His role is so important that the FO broke their do not bring in a 30 year old rule.

I was just making a joke guys. Geez.

Dont worry we are still going to get wrecked this Sunday no matter how hard they try to "implement" this "scheme."

I expect us to look pretty bad against the polks but to shine much more against the bolts. That being said I thought we saw some strides last game on defense especially with McMillan in there. The secondary with Fitz gone is going to be another new issue this week outside Rowe.

With players like Rowe and Wiltz (presumably only on the roster because they were found in the Patriots trashcan) starting does it matter what the scheme is?

Good stuff. So, in your opinion, is Taco going to be a fit in this defense?? Do we have a role for him? even as just a piece in a hybrid set?

Should he add weight and move inside, or drop a few and try to be an edge guy exclusively?

Personally we make him a RUSH DE/LB or a NT/DT. He will fit where needs be. This is no longer a set position for anyone. It's all about scheme an rotation of multiple hybrid packages. This is the RAVENS DEFENSE. Also known as Brian B's D (old Ravens Coach) which the Patriots run for many years. The Pats now has been for a long time 3-4 Hybrid. There packages are exactly as ours because they are theirs. Almost to a tee.

The Patriots Defensive Playbook: is a (3-4 book just like ours with a weird 4-3 Under we don't do that set they also have 46 Bear and Normal set just like ours. (See whats happening here). Their Nickel is 2-4-5, 3-3-5 and 1-5-5, Their Dime is 4-1-6, Dollar 3-2-6 and Quarter 3-1-7) or Balanced (4-3/3-4 Hybrid with a 46 Bear and Normal, Nickel 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 1-5-5 Prowl, Dime 4-1-6, Dollar 3-2-6 and Quarter 3-1-7). Pass/Run Defense Ratio: 51% in a (Nickel 1-5-5 and Quarter 3-1-7 is favored). It is so similar because it is exactly the same. But they run a 4-3 style in weird sets. We don't, that's the only difference I have seen so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom