Votes: 1 0.9%
  • A Trade Back

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • A Trade Up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (QB/RB/etc.)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
I generally agree with everything you said and I might add that if Waddle plays hardball with negotiations Worthy could give us some leverage.

What gives me pause to picking Worthy is when I read the list of combine sub 4.3 receivers since 2015;

John Ross, Marquise Goodwin, Henry Ruggs, Jacoby Ford, J.J. Nelson, Tyquan Thornton.

Making things worse is that out the 16 combine sub 4.3 players only Chris Johnson had what would be considered a successful NFL career.

oh yeah, when I first heard that Worthy broke the 40 time record, the first thing I thought of was.....uh oh....not in good company with NFL success. I wouldn't draft him in the 1st if I was Miami but I also can see McDaniel maximizing worthy's skill sets to allow him to be successful. A lot of people were down on Achane because of his size but clearly that wasn't a concern for McDaniel.

If Miami badly needed a WR I could fathom Xavier Worthy as a late-R1 or R2 investment but (A) he's not going to be involved enough in '24 and '25 to warrant the #21 pick and (B) I see too much Ted Ginn Jr in him.

Worthy is fast. That's obvious. But he used that speed to beat up on a lot of bad Big-12 coverage that let him off the line without any physicality and often let him run through open space. Worthy used his speed to be a difference-maker at Texas because no one really stood up to him.

He has some short-area moves which impress you but he's also a prospect you worry about getting open with anything other than sheer straight-line speed. I think his ceiling in the NFL will be tied to that of Ted Ginn Jr who certainly had a long career as an outside speedster and return man (13-yrs) but who never really earned the reputation of being a great #1.

I believe Worthy will produce more than Ginn who topped out at 750-yds in a single season, but I don't see Worthy as a Top-25 investment for a team that already has 2 prominent star WRs, some depth and a couple RBs who can catch. There are other positions that would be more valuable to the Dolphins.

BPA is always a tricky conversation based on a teams individual make-up and long-term needs.

Miami's need for an OL is pretty clear

LT
Armstead & Lamm are retiring after this year leaving the most important / expensive position completely vacant. And let's be real, Miami is NOT going to be in position to draft an elite plug-and-play LT next year so getting someone now who can grow into that position wouldn't be bad.

If Miami delays finding a long-term LT, they have to use money on a FA which will hurt (assuming there are good options available next year which is a guess). Forcing the issue with what we presume will be a late-R1 pick in 2025 might be even more constraining.

It would be better to leave that FA money available to spend on things like: Waddle, Phillips, a long-term boundary CB to replace Fuller, a long-term WR addition to replace Hill, a long-term OG, etc.

LG
Miami could start Isaiah Wynn but he's coming off injury and only signed to a 1-yr deal so this position is also vacant in the long-term. I'm not advocating for a R1 Guard but a R2 pick would be useful consider how much uncertainty presently exists on our OL.

C
Miami signed Aaron Brewer to a 3-yr deal so you'd figure their happy here.

RG
No clear starter at this time: Jones, Cotton, Eichenberg, etc. Quite frankly those are all backups anyhow.

RT
Austin Jackson (shockingly our best long-term fixture at this moment!)

You have 2 Guard and 1 Tackle positions that will be completely vacant by 2025, not to mention that your LT and LG are both huge injury concerns going into 2024.

There's an expression that goes something like "F around and find out" which comes to mind when the discussion meanders away from OL.

We keep saying we want to fix this but come draft time there are suddenly 22 positions on the field worthy of strengthening. I get it. You can't force something.

You don't want to reach on OL just for need but you're on the verge of having 3 open spots on a 5-man line and we're talking about WR when both WR1 and WR2 are locked up for the next 2 years. The same can be said of our Edge rushers.

Last edited:
i am now expecting a CB or a trade up, because the "other" category only has one vote, and trade up has no votes.
wonder what the vegas odds are right now on a CB as first pick for the dolphins?
trade up would annoy me, because we will continue to be short draft capital. cb would just be annoying, because we shouldn't have to do that, and it means they are already writing off cam smith

Miami's need for an OL is pretty clear

LT
Armstead & Lamm are retiring after this year leaving the most important / expensive position completely vacant. And let's be real, Miami is NOT going to be in position to draft an elite plug-and-play LT next year so getting someone now who can grow into that position wouldn't be bad.

If Miami delays finding a long-term LT, they have to use money on a FA which will hurt (assuming there are good options available next year which is a guess). Forcing the issue with what we presume will be a late-R1 pick in 2025 might be even more constraining.

It would be better to leave that FA money available to spend on things like: Waddle, Phillips, a long-term boundary CB to replace Fuller, a long-term WR addition to replace Hill, a long-term OG, etc.

LG
Miami could start Isaiah Wynn but he's coming off injury and only signed to a 1-yr deal so this position is also vacant in the long-term. I'm not advocating for a R1 Guard but a R2 pick would be useful consider how much uncertainty presently exists on our OL.

C
Miami signed Aaron Brewer to a 3-yr deal so you'd figure their happy here.

RG
No clear starter at this time: Jones, Cotton, Eichenberg, etc. Quite frankly those are all backups anyhow.

RT
Austin Jackson (shockingly our best long-term fixture at this moment!)

You have 2 Guard and 1 Tackle positions that will be completely vacant by 2025, not to mention that your LT and LG are both huge injury concerns going into 2024.

There's an expression that goes something like "F around and find out" which comes to mind when the discussion meanders away from OL.

We keep saying we want to fix this but come draft time there are suddenly 22 positions on the field worthy of strengthening. I get it. You can't force something.

You don't want to reach on OL just for need but you're on the verge of having 3 open spots on a 5-man line and we're talking about WR when both WR1 and WR2 are locked up for the next 2 years. The same can be said of our Edge rushers.
Agree the team could get value drafting some less-polished but high ceiling linemen. My thinking is one LT and one G/C in this draft, not necessarily with the first round pick. There is quality deep into the draft if we have the luxury of red shirting two picks (2nd or 3rd string this season) to learn from Butch and our veterans and be ready to start in 2025.

i dont know how to close the poll, here is a freeze frame of where we ended up pre-draft. lets see how finheaven does, OL is the presumptive favorite:

1714088243523.png

I am starting to buy into that we actually might pull the trigger on Xavier Worthy, not sure if we trade down or not to get him. But I think McDaniel will convince Grier into making the pick. Could help us now (on offense and special teams) and in the future for life after Tyreek. Last Year McDaniel wanted Achane in the 2nd round, but Grier understood the value and strong possibility of him still being on the board in the 3rd round. I could see something similar this year with a trade down in the 1st and selecting Worthy. I wouldn't do it but I'm starting to think that is a real possibility.
Only happens if we deal waddle

Back
Top Bottom