The “For Real?” Files: Xavien Howard

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Feb 10, 2018.

?

is Xavien Howard for real? Is this a member of the “young nucleus”?

1. Yes

76 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

[​IMG]

There’s only one question to answer in this off-season series: do you think this young guy is for real?
    We’ll start with Xavien Howard.
    And you might be surprised, but I’m not going to break down tape or share stats in this series. YOU watched the games just like I did, so I don’t necessarily care if your perception derives from a hard look at the metrics and data or you simply have a feeling about the guy (although I’d like to hear about your take in the Comments Section).
    You saw the ups (having the flu and picking off Tom Brady twice) and you saw the downs (getting picked on early in the season, both giving up sizable plays and getting flagged for big penalties).

2. randomname

randomname A True Fan

I swear he's real, I saw him at a bar chatting with Bigfoot and a chupacabra. Don't let the government tell you otherwise!

3. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

What does that question even mean?? We traded up for him in the early 2nd round, which means we probably had a 1st round grade on him. Has he played like a 1st or early 2nd round draft pick? Hail no!

Will he in the future? Man I hope so, but I'm not counting on it. Cordrea Tankersley has more going for him imo. Lippett remains a mystery. Will his body respond to the pressure and stress of obtaining elite conditioning??

4. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I’m hoping he - as his fellow defensive backs - was held back by the defensive backs coach we just replaced.

5. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

First, by "nucleus," I don't require eventual All-Pro - just solid and able to be a part of a top 10 secondary. Yes, I think he is, particularly if he's allowed to play more press

miami365 likes this.
  6. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

The main thing he may need to improve on is reducing penalties. Without a consistent pass-rush and lack of LB's who could cover, I think these guys did good. I am very optimistic about Lippett as he is still learning and has not reached his ceiling.

7. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

That kid is going to be a star.

Martel13 and outlawd2u like this.
  8. Phinatic8u

Tankersly has a lot of work to do, he was pretty bad after his injury.

dolpns13 likes this.
  9. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I believe he is a member of the "young nucleus" of this team. I like this kid and I also like how the Phins are slowly but surely changing the personnel..........get them young, coachable and hungry.

10. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This should really say he hasn't played up to your expectations of a 1st or 2nd round pick. I bet there are a number of teams in the league that would trade their first or second round picks from the last few years for Xavien Howard. Corners understandably have a transition period into the NFL, and Howard still has a lot of learning ahead of him, but I would disagree that so far he hasn't played up to reasonable expectations. He has big physical tools, under-rated recovery speed, and confidence.

The question is if he is a part of our nucleus moving forward. That answer is an absolute yes.

11. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

“No idea” should have been an option. He is the same as DeVante Parker. He shows he has the talent to be a probowler, but hasn’t been able to put it together for a full season. Hopefully he starts next year where he ended 2017, but who knows. A consistent pass rush helps every CB play better. The constant in the 2 games Howard was great(Denver and New England) was we had consistency getting to the QB.

12. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2 Finheaven VIP

Howard has been more a victim of our **** scheme early in the season rather than his own abilities. When given the opportunity to play tight coverage the kid has played VERY well.

Yes, he is for real.

PhinsAAA and Ray R like this.
  13. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

We are lucky to have him.

If he stays healthy, he will be stellar. He's certainly a building block and one of the more valuable overall asset's we possess.

BSQ, outlawd2u and Ray R like this.
  14. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Did you just compare DVP and Howard? One guy that actually make plays in big games and from what I recall has been available for every game vs. one guy I haven't seen make a play since his rookie year and has also missed a ton of time year to date.

Wow!

dolpns13, Dakar001 and Stoobz like this.
  15. Dajesus

Howard missed 9 games his rookie season. Parker has missed 5 games in 3 years, but both have been hampered by nagging injuries, and are have trouble playing well with them. Xavien was consistently ranked in the bottom of the league in CBs the first 10 games of 2017, and consistently in the top cb in the final 6 games. It was very reminiscent of Parker’s rookie season.

16. Lucky_12

Lucky_12 Active Member

I believe in him. Confidence is a big factor in his game. I believe in year 3 we will see a Xavier Howard type of player. I also believe Jordan Phillips will tear it up in a contract year
    I would be worried about guarantee money with him on his next contract. Those two player will be awesome next year barring injury. I think Tankersley is another year away. Give me Derwin James in the first and move Mcdonal to Linebacker. A Mark Barron type move.
    We need a real centerfielder safety.

17. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He's a piece to building a playoff caliber D. Hole filled...solid, good player at important position whose best days are ahead of him as long as he stays healthy. No sure why there is any negativity...he's a bit handsy, but I''l take some of the calls that come with physical play.

Ray R likes this.
  18. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Howard was great in the last half of the season. Hopefully he continues that next season.

19. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Nonsense. Howard has put together inconsistent results, with the back half of 2017 being his best results to date. Over valuing this teams players, while a common theme on FH, is silly at best after year 2.

But I do know, Cody Whitehair, who needed the first half of his rookie year to make the transition to the NFL game. Has had a far more productive impact to date, and he went right after us picking a Big 12 Defensive back.

20. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

Lol, come on... I know a lot of people don't like Parker here but to say he hasn't made a play since his rookie year is ridiculous. He's made a lot of plays actually, he just has been inconsistent, and injury prone. With all of that said however I agree with your overall theme here that Howard is a much better player, but I also just happen to think X can be one of the best young CB's in the league.

John813 and Avigatorx like this.
  21. Phinatic8u

Parker was Miami’s best WR in the beginning of the year until he got hurt, again.

One of the 3 to put up 85+ yards against SD and their great secondary.

22. Phinatic8u

Adding Tony Oden to this team will make wonders with all of Miami’s Cb.

Howard, Tank, McCain, Lippett. Not to mention he has a good track record of developing good safties.

Miami needs to draft a FS and let Oden work him.

Ray R likes this.
  23. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I think so. I loved the way he finished the season and his game against New England was phenomenal. Although it was a team effort, those two big interceptions were deciding factors in the win.

Ray R likes this.
  24. FanMarino

FanMarino HOF Pass Master

Is Howard for real? Offseason is slow I guess.

Ray R likes this.
  25. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Too early to tell, I need more than a solid half a season. I remember when Chris Chambers had that really good rookie season and this place debated for 3-4 years on whether he was the real deal.

26. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

27. Dajesus

Howard flashed all-pro skill set at the end of the year and seemed to get better. Tank went the other way and struggled with assignments late in the season, and gave up big plays late. I hope they both turn out great, and it turns in to Madison and Suratain back there. I’m not sure how Lippett fits in if both these guys progress.

outlawd2u likes this.
  28. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

I voted yes. X is producing and improving. Its exciting to have a young backfield that is both young and showing a positive upswing for the future.

29. PhinsAAA

PhinsAAA Well-Known Member

I know this is a Howard thread but with all the talk of the other cbs lets not forget McCain who really took his game to another level last season.

30. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

He's been very Vontae Davis so far with the inconcistent play to start out the year then coming on strong towards the end. As long as he can manage to show up to practice sober I think he'll develop into a real good press corner.

31. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

What is this dung?? Tankersley didn't even play late in the season, he was injured and not even active.

And ya, with remarks like this, there is no doubt that you are clueless concerning Lippett's talent.

32. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

As is the case with most CB's, more will depend on the referees than anything else.

The refs can slow a CB down to become less aggressive more than any other position, imo.

33. Dajesus

Sorry guy, late in his season, as he missed the last 4 games. He got roasted moultiple times because he didn’t know his assignment, ie releasing guys when he didn’t have help. Howard obviously had the bigger impact with 4 ints and 13 pass defenses compared to 0 ints and 6 pass defenses. I like what I saw from Tank, but it’s obvious Howard has the higher ceiling.

Lippett played well in 2016, but is coming off one of the hardest injuries to come back from in a torn achillies. He also is a liability in run support, as Howard and Tank are much better tacklers. McCain played well at nickel, and Lippett can’t play inside, so he will have to out play Tank to get on the field.

34. Eesti

Eesti Rookie Finheaven VIP

I think he is trending up and shown the ability to take his game to the next level. The answer to the question remains to be seen as it depends on how he reacts to his new coach as well as how much time gets to play press man. Hopefully a lot. All of our corners are better when they play it.

35. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

1. 40. Xavien Howard, Miami Dolphins

Coverage: 15/25
      Reaction: 15/25
      Recovery: 14/25
      Tackling: 12/15
      Position Value: 10/10
      Overall Grade: 66/100

Howard's sophomore campaign had multiple arcs. He was maddeningly poor and regularly out of position for two-thirds of the season. Then a switch seemed to flip, and he had a dominant December that not only resulted in all four of his interceptions in two games, but also an increased awareness and much better technique in man assignments.

He was able to stay in the hip pocket of receivers on all routes instead of just the underneath routes that he regularly fared well on. He then dropped to more inconsistent levels in the final two weeks, leading to questions about where he'll eventually settle as a player.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ng-the-top-outside-cornerbacks-of-2017-season

36. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

:laugh Outstanding!

37. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

The more you play him in press the more opportunity you have for him to be stacked vertically. I think miami sees him worst case as a low 1 long term worst case id say he’s a solid 2

2018 is huge for his 2nd contract value.

Pff has missed the boat on this kid since day 1