The Franchise Tag | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Franchise Tag

dolfan_uk

Starter
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what the Franchise Tag actually means, and what its pros and cons are,

And why your only allowed 1.

The Franchise tag i think is new thing, or maybe not? its just getting more popular to talk about it it seems............ Until recent years, I never heard much on it.

many thanks:unsure:

http://www.nflpa.org/CBA/free_agency_System_explained.aspx

"1. Franchise Player: Each club may designate one player who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent as a Franchise Player. The designation must be made between February 8 and February 22 in the year 2007, and the club must tender the Franchise Player an offer equal to the average of the top five salaries in the League at the player’s position. If the tender offers the top five average applicable at the end of the previous season, the Franchise Player can seek offers from other clubs, but the old team can match the offer or receive two first round draft choices from the offering team. If the tender offers the top five average applicable at the end of the upcoming Restricted Free Agent signing period, the club retains exclusive rights to the player and he cannot negotiate with other teams. Franchise Player and Transition Player tenders become fully guaranteed for skill and football injury if the player chooses to accept the tender. "

^
That

OR in basic terms

Player propably wont be leaving the team, even though he is a UFA, but will get paid the average of the TOP 5 players at his postion. ($ wise)

Back
Top Bottom