The future of our defense... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of our defense...

Dolfan954

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
...may not be a concern after all.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ug10,0,7328873.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Teammates like running back Travis Minor have learned to look for the rookie when they have the ball.

"If you see him coming, you had better tuck the ball away," Minor said. "He has shown too many times that he is going for it if there's a chance. The only way to stop a guy like him is don't give him the chance."

....."For him, going after the ball is like second nature," Surtain said. "All of us are after the ball. The difference with him is he usually gets it."

Travis Minor has to adjust what he's doing and know where Poole is when he's on the field. That tells you that the rookie is already making an impact. The more I keep hearing about him, the more excited I am for our defense. The mantra has always been, "Our defense is getting old...".

With Poole emerging, as well as Reggie Howard, we could be set at CB for years to come. Morlon Greenwood is learning MLB while Zach is out, and he may end up taking over @ MLB whenever Zach decides to hang it up...or it's possible that he gets shifted to WLB when he starts to decline.

From the camp reports I've read, Eddie Moore has also looked impressive. As for the rest of the defense, based on the the actions we've seen by the GM so far, I have faith in Rick and his abilities to draft the necessary players to fill future holes in our defense.

Yes, I know. It's only training camp, and we don't know for sure what we have yet. Just giving everyone something to think about (and some hope) the next time the words, "We only have another 2-3 years before our defense gets too old" are about to come out of your mouth.

I believe they will be able to transition to a younger defense without much dropoff in a couple of years. The only areas where I don't think we have young, potential starters waiting in the wings are the defensive tackle spot and the safety spot.

Miami should lock Adewale Ogunleye up very soon, making him part of the new young core. Hopefully, a guy with natural skills like TJ Bingham will be kept around and make the same type of impression that Ogunleye has made. At linebacker, we have Greenwood, Moore, Bua, and Pope who all look good. At corner, we have Poole and Howard who should allow for an easy transition from Surtain and Madison.

That kid is going to be a true steal!!! I love this
"I have good older players like Madison and Surtain to teach me the nuances of the system," Poole said.
Impressive that he uses "nuances" correctly and has the skill he does. A football player needs to be smart and athletic.

dreadlockera said:
That kid is going to be a true steal!!! I love this
"I have good older players like Madison and Surtain to teach me the nuances of the system," Poole said.
Impressive that he uses "nuances" correctly and has the skill he does. A football player needs to be smart and athletic.
I learned what the word nuance meant in middle school. That proves nothing. :tongue: :lol:

We need to start getting some really young LB's! They can learn a lot from Zack and Seau but I'm not yet 100% sold on Moore or Bua. At least not yet...

clajoie_7 said:
We need to start getting some really young LB's! They can learn a lot from Zack and Seau but I'm not yet 100% sold on Moore or Tua. At least not yet...

You say we need to get young linebackers then go on to say that you're not sold on our young linebackers... :confused: What exactly do you mean then that we need young LB's? Should they have a long resume or something?

Will Poole is sounding really good as are some of the younger lbs we have. I'm really excited to see Poole in action.

phinphanphrommi said:
You say we need to get young linebackers then go on to say that you're not sold on our young linebackers... :confused: What exactly do you mean then that we need young LB's? Should they have a long resume or something?

Take it easy Cowboy! Bua is only 215lbs and Moore has a history of being injured. I was looking at maybe getting a young proven LB coming out of college that is a terror at the position, but will learn from the Ageless ones. No resume needed just would like us to load up on the youthful stock...

clajoie_7 said:
Take it easy Cowboy! Bua is only 215lbs and Moore has a history of being injured. I was looking at maybe getting a young proven LB coming out of college that is a terror at the position, but will learn from the Ageless ones. No resume needed just would like us to load up on the youthful stock...

No need to tell me to take it easy... I was simply asking questions. Tony Bua may only be 5-11 212... but Zach is only 5-11 235. Not too much of a difference there, especially when you consider that Bua has not had the benefit of a pro conditioning program for more than a few months.

Moore seems to be comming along as well according to camp reports that I have read. You say you want a young PROVEN linebacker comming out of college yet you then say that no resume is needed... The trouble with having such a star studded defense is that you can't quite afford to draft well known tallent for depth. If the team were to spend a high pick needed to garner a "proven" young linebacker there would be massive outcries about wasting a pick on what is already viewed as a strength... Moore's drafting is the perfect example.

Personally, I like Bua quite a bit... and I must admit that if I keep hearing good things about Moore( despite his long, long history of one whole injury) he'll soon be in my "rookie to watch" catagory as well.

I'm sorry if you take offense to my disagreement, but I simply do not understand your contradictions that you present in your complaint about our lack of young LB's.

Our young LBs are doing well at the moment in camp. Lets see how they do in the preseason games. The preseason is good for that reason, yes you run the risk of injury, but when don't you? (Boston/Akins). These guys well get their chance to show what they are worth when the preseason starts, which by the way is only days away!!!!!!!!!

Dolfan954 said:
...may not be a concern after all.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolphins10.1aug10,0,7328873.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Travis Minor has to adjust what he's doing and know where Poole is when he's on the field. That tells you that the rookie is already making an impact. The more I keep hearing about him, the more excited I am for our defense. The mantra has always been, "Our defense is getting old...".

With Poole emerging, as well as Reggie Howard, we could be set at CB for years to come. Morlon Greenwood is learning MLB while Zach is out, and he may end up taking over @ MLB whenever Zach decides to hang it up...or it's possible that he gets shifted to WLB when he starts to decline.

From the camp reports I've read, Eddie Moore has also looked impressive. As for the rest of the defense, based on the the actions we've seen by the GM so far, I have faith in Rick and his abilities to draft the necessary players to fill future holes in our defense.

Yes, I know. It's only training camp, and we don't know for sure what we have yet. Just giving everyone something to think about (and some hope) the next time the words, "We only have another 2-3 years before our defense gets too old" are about to come out of your mouth.
Good Post, agree 100% :up:

clajoie_7 said:

I like Bua, I think in years to come, he is going to be a terror on defenses, even if he still was only 215, But I am sure by the time he takes over, he will be closer to 225. Right now he is a backup, and a special teamer, I can't wait to see the 1st hit he lands on special teams. :evil:

Now if we just can keep Eddie Moore out of bar fights with the locals. That would be a plus. Because a pro linebacker getting butt kicked by some resident is kind of embarrassing.

clajoie_7 said:

Since you brought up Cowboy, Dexter Coakley was about Tony Bua's size when he came into the league and made an immediate impact. He's now bulked up to Zach Thomas' size. It doesn't matter how many lbs. are on the frame if you've got LB on your brain.

Back
Top Bottom