The Giants Defense.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Giants Defense....

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
That 2003 defense was supposed to be marauding against quarterbacks with a healthy Michael Strahan. An entire unit of returning defenders was supposed to know its assignments and not be fooled or be out of position. Lynn said only one additional package of alignments had been added.

Yet the Giants have compiled some lame figures on defense.

¶404.7 yards a game allowed (last in the league).

¶7.3 yards a pass attempt against.

¶Almost 33 minutes of possession time a game by the opposition.

"It's like a ballplayer early in the season," Lynn said. "He goes 1 for 5, what's he hitting? Two hundred. He gets another hit, and he's 2 for 6, hitting .333. The numbers early in the season can be misleading. And don't forget, we're tied for the division lead."

Coach Jim Fassel said he had asked for some changes after last season, Lynn's first as coordinator.

"We wanted to be more aggressive, and we're doing that," Fassel said. "I wanted some changes in the defense and asked Johnnie to implement them."

Those changes included blitzing techniques for the linebackers, but success in that area has been limited.

Naturally, Fassel was not about to announce the corrective measures the defenders have taken this week. But rather than practice specifically for their next opponent, the Miami Dolphins on Oct. 5, the Giants spent two days running a virtual training camp. That meant more classroom time and film viewing than usual.

"There are covering routes we need to cover, guys out of position allowing some big plays that shouldn't happen," Fassel said.

Entire article

It seems the Dolphins have some similarities with the Giants in a struggle to become more aggressive on defense.

Man I love your signature ZOD !!!!:lol:

Nothing like seeing a billy goat fan eating crow and being schooled at the same time ...:chuckle:

:roflmao:

Marino1983

Good post. The Giants defense is going to come out playing tough and so will the Fins. I'm looking forward to, and have been, to this game. Bates will have had sufficient time to come out with a good defensive strategy, but so will the Giants DC. This should be a very interesting game with no excuses for either side, IMO.

yeah i agree great post, what I do think is that we will catch the Giant Defense by surprise with another dose of Ricky, being that we hardly ever play each other, i dont think they'll be familiar with our team, i expect Ricky to have another GREAT game.

Originally posted by Predaphin34
yeah i agree great post, what I do think is that we will catch the Giant Defense by surprise with another dose of Ricky, being that we hardly ever play each other, i dont think they'll be familiar with our team, i expect Ricky to have another GREAT game.

This will also be a great game to see if our D can handle a top TE, KC last year showed us a lot about our ability to do so. Hope McMicheals is playing some scout team stuff this week. we also have Todd Heap on the schedule, we need to adjust starting now. Another good O, with multiple weapons, a little better, or should I say more deversed weapons than the bills, we'll really know if our D is on the up swing, plus playing away. Can our O come up with enough wrinkles to keep their D off balance and get some scores, that's the million dollar question, they will want to shut us up about the bills and make a statement. We need to reply in kind and take it up a notch, especially on the road.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

This will also be a great game to see if our D can handle a top TE, KC last year showed us a lot about our ability to do so. Hope McMicheals is playing some scout team stuff this week. we also have Todd Heap on the schedule, we need to adjust starting now. Another good O, with multiple weapons, a little better, or should I say more deversed weapons than the bills, we'll really know if our D is on the up swing, plus playing away. Can our O come up with enough wrinkles to keep their D off balance and get some scores, that's the million dollar question, they will want to shut us up about the bills and make a statement. We need to reply in kind and take it up a notch, especially on the road.

yeah, im waiting to see the difference between sammy and freeman. I think we all know the answere to that one.:cool:

Right now the Giants Defense is playing very poorly, but I just don't see that continuing, we have the talent we know that, but the execution has been terrible.

I would not read too much into those stats however because I think the Giants are capable of shutting down any offense in the league (when everything is clicking).

I don't think the Giants we be caught off guard by Ricky either (is there a team in the league that is caught off guard anymore?) I would hope not. The guy is amazing and should be the 1st guy any Defense should gameplan on stopping.

Over the last 3 weeks teams have had alot of success when they spread us out and went with multiple wide receiver sets, not sure how much if any Miami likes to spread the field (I hope not much).:D

Onto our offense: I know most of you guys will just think of me as a homer if I say this but I'm being absolutely honestly in my opinion that the Giants offense is better than the Bills, and this I'm afraid is where the game will be won and lost for the Giants, our OLine.

If it can protect Kerry and give him the time to throw the ball he really can pick any team in this league apart, but if it cannot I expect not only to lose ... but to lose big.

Taylor vs. Petitgout will be a good matchup all day, Luke really is one of the most underrated LT's in the league, but I'm really worried about the rest of our young and inexperienced OLine going up against one of the leagues best DLines.

Time will tell, but just speaking hypothetically if Kerry has the time to throw the ball - look out! Because he has a plethora of options not the least of which is Toomer, teams often overlook this guy when they see Shockey and Barber, they always forget about Toomer until he puts up over a hundred yards worth of receiving and they start having to double him, there is no 1 on 1 match up in this league (that so far he's faced) that can shut him down, including Champ Bailey perhaps the best CB in the league who he toyed with 1 week ago.

Shockey is the best TE in football, not just because he put's up numbers and not just because he's a great blocker, but because the effect he has on other teams gameplan, he cannot be covered 1 on 1 and doubling him (and sometimes when needed triple teaming him) helps to open the field for Hilliard and Barber to have big game.

Hilliard and Barber are a couple of headaches of their own for opposing defenses and bring alot to the table, we also have Tim Carter who is the fastest guy on our roster, not sure how much he will be used against Fletcher though.

So there you have it, I thought I would give some of you guys the scoop on the team you will be facing this week, here in New York we are very excited about this offense .... we've never seen anything like it around here before, we are so use to run the ball on 1st down, run the ball on 2nd down, run the ball on 3rd down, punt the ball and play good Defense, that we just can't help ourselves.:lol:

This week should be alot of fun, here's to a good clean game without any injuries.;)

is there a team in the league that is caught off guard anymore?

To answer your question giantsfan, YES

refer to the game between the ravens and browns :lol:

Originally posted by ultimateFINFAN
is there a team in the league that is caught off guard anymore?

To answer your question giantsfan, YES

refer to the game between the ravens and browns :lol:

I was actually referring to teams caught off guard with Ricky, the guy is just flat out amazing, and if it wasn't for Priest Holmes scoring 50 million TD's in Kansas I would think that the unanimous consensus for best back in the league would go hands down to Williams.

Originally posted by Giantsfan

I was actually referring to teams caught off guard with Ricky, the guy is just flat out amazing, and if it wasn't for Priest Holmes scoring 50 million TD's in Kansas I would think that the unanimous consensus for best back in the league would go hands down to Williams.

The Bills weren't caught off guard by Ricky...they gameplanned to stop him. But Turner kept pounding him in there. That will only work against the Giants IF our D can keep them from scoring, though. If we get down to them, we'll have to throw, which will take Ricky out of the game.

I don't think the Giants we be caught off guard by Ricky either (is there a team in the league that is caught off guard anymore?) I would hope not. The guy is amazing and should be the 1st guy any Defense should gameplan on stopping.

Gameplan all they want, Buffalo did the same. Ricky can be slowed, he can't be stopped.

Over the last 3 weeks teams have had alot of success when they spread us out and went with multiple wide receiver sets, not sure how much if any Miami likes to spread the field (I hope not much).:D.

You must be familiar with Norv Turner's offense from his days at Washington. He virtually never uses more than three recievers. He uses three WR's rarely, by NFL standards.

Taylor vs. Petitgout will be a good matchup all day, Luke really is one of the most underrated LT's in the league, but I'm really worried about the rest of our young and inexperienced OLine going up against one of the leagues best DLines..

I'd worry more about Ian Allen. IMHO Walle Ogunleye will have a good time against him. OG made Mike Williams look like a matadore on a number of occasions last week.

Shockey is the best TE in football, not just because he put's up numbers and not just because he's a great blocker, but because the effect he has on other teams gameplan, he cannot be covered 1 on 1 and doubling him (and sometimes when needed triple teaming him) helps to open the field for Hilliard and Barber to have big game.

I'd refer you to Mr Gonzalez before you call Shockey the best in the NFL. However, I agree that Shockey is pretty darn good. The question remains though, will he be the ball dropping version that he was against Dallas?? I also believe that our own TE Randy McMichael wants desperately to outplay Shockey in this game. Randy may not get the press, but he is a handful for any defense.

Hilliard and Barber are a couple of headaches of their own for opposing defenses and bring alot to the table, we also have Tim Carter who is the fastest guy on our roster, not sure how much he will be used against Fletcher though..

Buckley is our nickel corner at this time. Carter could cause some matchup problems.

This week should be alot of fun, here's to a good clean game without any injuries.;)

Agreed. Welcome to Finheaven. I hope that you visit us a few more times this week.

Originally posted by phinphan

Gameplan all they want, Buffalo did the same. Ricky can be slowed, he can't be stopped.

I absolutely agree with that, that's why I'm hoping the Giants get off to a quick start and put up some points so that the Dolphins will have to pass more.

You must be familiar with Norv Turner's offense from his days at Washington. He virtually never uses more than three recievers. He uses three WR's rarely, by NFL standards.

Yes I do remember him well, he's always loved his running games, but I really do think the Dolphins would be better served trying to spread us out rather than running at our base formation which so far this year has been our last bastion of consistency.

I'd worry more about Ian Allen. IMHO Walle Ogunleye will have a good time against him. OG made Mike Williams look like a matadore on a number of occasions last week.

Thankfully we Giants fans will not have to worry about Allen this week ... or for any other week if injuries do not play their evil factors, Allen is riding the pine, has been since game 2, our center Bober is now our RT which was actually his originally position but was only changed last year due to Dusty Ziegler (no longer on our team) getting injuried, he has been solid so far, but like many on this OLine has not been tested by a talented DLine like the Dolphins have so far this year.

I'd refer you to Mr Gonzalez before you call Shockey the best in the NFL. However, I agree that Shockey is pretty darn good. The question remains though, will he be the ball dropping version that he was against Dallas?? I also believe that our own TE Randy McMichael wants desperately to outplay Shockey in this game. Randy may not get the press, but he is a handful for any defense.

Gonzo is a great player no doubt about it, but he has been going through a bit of a rough patch as of late, injuries and the like take their toll, I just think Shockey right now the best TE in Football with Heap a close second, McMichael is a very good player as well (I saw the Bills game and loved the fire he plays with) but I just think Shockey as of right now does more for his team than just his stats would indicate, not many teams in this league gameplan on specifically stopping a TE but Shockey will do that to a team.

Buckley is our nickel corner at this time. Carter could cause some matchup problems.

Honestly I just don't know how much he will be on the field though, I see us keeping an extra TE or a FB in the backfield to help protect Kerry so I don't know if we would risk spreading you guys out at the expense of poor protection.

Agreed. Welcome to Finheaven. I hope that you visit us a few more times this week.

thanks for the warm welcome, I plan on talking lot's of smack and being as rude as I possibly can be, just kiddin.:lol:

Yes I do remember him well, he's always loved his running games, but I really do think the Dolphins would be better served trying to spread us out rather than running at our base formation which so far this year has been our last bastion of consistency.
I think Jay can pass the ball to Ricky, Konrad and McMichael pretty easily ag your D, but Norv will just keep giving it to Ricky as long as the chains are moving.

To me the key to the game for us will be discinpline and not giving up big plays, turning the ball over or getting loads of stupid penalities: in other words not playing like we did ag (the suddenly contending) Texans

Back
Top Bottom