The Great Mistake of signing Hartline: A Waste of #2 WR Money + Foolish Strategy | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Great Mistake of signing Hartline: A Waste of #2 WR Money + Foolish Strategy

Can we trade Hartline for any of those guys.

He was the team's primary WR. How in the world is he not going to get 1000 yards in today's pass happy league? The most concerning thing is he was shut down during the second half of the season because teams started to press him at the line and he couldn't get separation. Look at the tape. Just look at it. The difference between Hartline and real 1's and 2's is that 1. he can't get off the line of scrimmaged when pressed and 2. he doesn't win contested catch battles. How can anyone argue this? This is the reason he doesn't score TD's more than anything else. This is the reason why he was shut down the second half of the year. This is the reason he should NOT get #2 WR money. Disagree and delude yourselves all you like but facts are facts, and the facts I stated are indisputable.

I've seen teams #1 receivers not get a 1000 yards before, Hartline is only the 8th miami dolphin receiver to do so remember. Miami has been in the league a lot longer than 8 years.. According to how bad you say Hartline is, he shouldn't have even gotten 700 yards. Press coverage is the best to stop the timing of plays, and it's effective, I agree Hartline has to get better in that area, and I think he will, but he won't see as much press coverage if we get a Wallace..no one to cover the corner if he slips on Hartline, coverage will roll to Wallace. When it comes to TD's what you wrote plus the many misses by QB's when he did get open is the reason for lack of TD's, but you must admit he did get behind the D a number of times..again remember the pat's first game. I think Hartline was hurt the 2nd half of the season, I think that leg started bothering him again, I could see him limp a lot the second half.

You have to analyze the quality of the 1000 yards. Do you think he could sustain that if he was the teams' #1 again this year? Very doubtful. He had a once in a lifetime season because of 3 huge games where teams played very soft coverage which played into his biggest strength. What you need to take a look at is the second half of the season. Teams adjusted and he couldn't handle press coverage. He wasn't hi even double teamed because the safeties were in the box shutting down the run. Just watch the tape. That's all I'm asking. WATCH THE TAPE.
You completely missed the point. Point is, he is not a number one, but performed better than most other teams number one and wants number 2 money. #2 money is 6 million a year so we are not overpaying as he is a solid number 2

I can see both sides of the debate. As someone who thinks Fasano needs to move on for a more dynamic player, I can see the short comings being expressed about a 1000 yard rec. :ponder:

I've seen teams #1 receivers not get a 1000 yards before, Hartline is only the 8th miami dolphin receiver to do so remember. Miami has been in the league a lot longer than 8 years.. According to how bad you say Hartline is, he shouldn't have even gotten 700 yards. Press coverage is the best to stop the timing of plays, and it's effective, I agree Hartline has to get better in that area, and I think he will, but he won't see as much press coverage if we get a Wallace..no one to cover the corner if he slips on Hartline, coverage will roll to Wallace. When it comes to TD's what you wrote plus the many misses by QB's when he did get open is the reason for lack of TD's, but you must admit he did get behind the D a number of times..again remember the pat's first game. I think Hartline was hurt the 2nd half of the season, I think that leg started bothering him again, I could see him limp a lot the second half.

What you guys fail to understand is that Hartline doesn't have the natural skill set to beat press coverage. He's been in the league for several years now. Either you have that natural skill set or you don't. That's why I don't value him as a #2. He can get behind the D on occasion if he is not pressed at the line but the throw has to be perfect because he can't get elite separation and doesn't have the extra gear to track the ball and he doesn't have a natural feel for winning contested passes. These are all natural skill sets that can't be taught. Like I said either you have it or you don't. He doesn't. Plain and simple. The second half of the season is full proof. I have yet to read a counter argument that says he can beat press coverage. Until I do with factual evidence supporting your argument I will stand by what I say. And lets not make up injuries as an excuse. That is a cop out and complete BS.

What you guys fail to understand is that Hartline doesn't have the natural skill set to beat press coverage. He's been in the league for several years now. Either you have that natural skill set or you don't. That's why I don't value him as a #2. He can get behind the D on occasion if he is not pressed at the line but the throw has to be perfect because he can't get elite separation and doesn't have the extra gear to track the ball and he doesn't have a natural feel for winning contested passes. These are all natural skill sets that can't be taught. Like I said either you have it or you don't. He doesn't. Plain and simple. The second half of the season is full proof. I have yet to read a counter argument that says he can beat press coverage. Until I do with factual evidence supporting your argument I will stand by what I say. And lets not make up injuries as an excuse. That is a cop out and complete BS.

PM76, We understand your concern, at least I do. But the truth is Hartline's been holding his own since he got with us, he was a 4th round draft pick, who struck when the 3rd rounder(turner) couldn't, he eventually stayed longer than the 1st round WR(Ginn) taken from the same school he went to.
He's got reliable hands, he gets open, he's not the best against press coverage, especially in a timing O. We get that...but somehow he makes up for his lack of, so to speak.. I remember that coach for I think the raiders having a fit because Hartline was running an out pattern over and over on his cb who was faster, but Hartline's route running allow him to beat that corner. He's been tough, smart, and a good team mate. Moore is faster than Hartline, but can't unseat him, Gates was faster, Roberto Wallace was faster and taller, but........ I think you don't give Hartline the credit he deserves for his
talent that he does have. Hartline missed all of TC with THill, and yet quickly got on page with Ryan, and gave Ryan a comfort zone with one of his wide receivers. We had a number of vets go thru last year, from chad, armstrong, etc, but only one WR was consistent, Hartline, I'd love to see him again with a real #1.. I think he'll do better than you think with a whole off-season to include TC to get ready for the season, unlike last year. I'm not saying he's the best #2, but looking at the stats of all the other #2's on other teams with elite QB's and talent, NE comes to mind, I don't remember #1 Lloyd getting 1000 yards, I just think he holds his own very well for what he does.

do you think there would be less press coverage with a true deep threat like Wallace?

OH reeeeeally I will take a 1,000 yard reciever as my number #2 and he did that as our best WR last year. Also, I live in TN and see a lot of Titans games and you guys in love with Cook are in for a rude awakening. Does he suck? nope... but is he all that? no greatly under performs

sorry bro BUT i also live in Tennessee and Cook is going to be a very good TE in this league ,kinda puts me in remind of a Gronk (hard to bring down and is fast ) and the skills of Gonzo (going up like a basketball player and bringing the ball down ) thats why he was used alot as a slot wr and why Tenn didnt want to have to resign him as a WR instead as a TE and why they would have lost if it went to arbutration because he was used a s a WR more .cook will be special in this league just wait and see.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how much pressure teams were putting on stopping Hartline. He was in their eyes our only weapon. Well I guess in our eyes too. All that matters now is that he is a Fin for a long time and we all hope he will score more TD's with a legit #1 opposite him.

You sound like a kid talking to the AT&T guy...wait, what?

Is Brian Hartline the best reciever in the league no but hes a legit no2 and has some of the best hands in the Nfl and just happened to set a franchise record for most recieving yards in a game something Mark Duper Tony Martin or O.J. Mcduffie could do when they had the best qb of all time throwing to them.

Can't see us signing Wallace and Cook now unfortunately. Still I like Hartline and welcome him back. If he doesn't improve when across from a true #1, I'm sure his contract is front loaded so we can cut out 2 or 3 yrs in anyway.

I don't get the complaining. We could easily miss on Wallace, miss on Jennings, and draft a guy high who takes a year or two to become a good pro, if he ever even does pan out (since there isn't a clear-cut stud in this class). What would that leave Tanny with for next year? Absolutely nothing.

Signing Hartline to this safe contract means you at least start where you left off and build up from there.

OH reeeeeally I will take a 1,000 yard reciever as my number #2 and he did that as our best WR last year. Also, I live in TN and see a lot of Titans games and you guys in love with Cook are in for a rude awakening. Does he suck? nope... but is he all that? no greatly under performs

I live in TN as well, and underperforming is what happens when you have a **** QB

here is the flaws in your thought process.

FIRST: hartline ISNT "easily single covered" . quite the opposite. he was able at times to beat double coverages but tanny couldnt make the read and throw as quick as he gets open. GO LOOK AT THE TIVO'd games if you have them and just watch hartline. i counted 8 gimme td's he would have had, wide open scores had tanny hit him. and i counted 6 more that probably would have. and i havnt counted the big gainers that were missed by tanny or he just didnt see him.

now, in all probability, bh drops a couple or few of those plays. BUT, can you imagine if tanny would have connected on those plays? were talking about about 14-1500 yds and 9-12 td's. THEY WERE THERE!! tanny missed and some of those came off bh being double teamed. hartline did his part. his qb let him down many times in those plays.

SECOND: hartline got over a thousand yds and 74 catches last year with NO supporting wr on the other side and a bone rookie qb with 16 games TOTAL playing qb coming in!! and you want him gone? if brady or manning, or even flacco would have been throwing to him you would have seen bh STARTING in the pro bowl.

THIRD: there is a misconception that tanny is already a franchise qb and that is FAR, FAR from the truth. i like him a whole lot and he is the best prospect hands down since danny retired. but he missed a LOT of points and left a LOT of plays on the field [naturally for a rookie qb with a handfull of starts]. a "bit" troubling seeing how he was running 80% of his college offense with the same coach. he impoved towards the end but STILL was not near a franchise level. so this has put the notion in some fans mind that hartline is the week link in that relationship but it is in fact much more on tanny than hartline.

FOURTH: you dont give a up starting, productive wr who is young and just approaching his prime for nothing. again, think of hartlines production had tanny completed his end of the play. think about how productive he was with a rookie, limited experiance qb and no threat on the other side.

people need to watch the tivo with OPEN eyes, focusing only on the tanny/bh plays and you will come away with a MUCH different prospective on bh.

Back
Top Bottom