The important of Preseason games | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The important of Preseason games

LikeUntoGod

The Oracle
Reaction score
For years now we have been debating the need or/and importance of Preseason games.

Some see them as a waste of time and money and a meaningless game where a important player can be hurt.

I see them as the best way to make sure that the first "real" games are not sloppy. They are the best way to mesh rookies and new free agents and even new coaches into the team. This goes double when you have all new coaches and a new offense and defense. And lastly something that since the death of NFL Europe has gotten more important. And that is having a idea of what those fringe players can do. The undrafted free agents and 6th-7th round draft picks.

I looked into this last year and I found that the owners and coaches want to go from 53 to at least 55 and to enlarge the practice squad. Oddly enough the people in the way are the Players Union. They feel like the fewer players on a team the more money each one will make. And when a GM is trying to decide on releasing a older player for a untested young player who has promise he will tend to go with the older player. And the older player will make more money. Even to get to the practice squad a player has to clear waviers which means a young player can be picked up by someone else.

I think most Dolphin fans would agree that we really need every preseason game we can get this year. With rookies and new free agents everywhere learning a new offense and defense not having these four games could cost us 2-3 games during the start of the season.

Now granted last year's preseason was wasted by Cam Cameron. He only played two rookies, he did not play a number of veterans and we looked and played like crap. Look how he did not use Beck at all until mid season.

This year's use of preseason is just one of the 352 reasons that our new GM/Coaches are better. Henne is getting ready to start if called open playing most of the minutes. Look at our OL where we are starting 2 rookies, a 2nd year player and a free agent and how they have improved from the first game. Look at our defensive players who have to adjust to a 3-4 with a couple of important new rookies and a number of free agents moving into starting roles.

I hope that most Dolphin fans can agree that this preseason is needed and is important.

The preseason serves a big purpose, but there are also risks and reasons why there should be fewer or no games.

I agree completely. I think pre-season is a good thing espicially for a 1-15 team with a bunch of a new players and a whole new coaching staff.

For years now we have been debating the need or/and importance of Preseason games.

Some see them as a waste of time and money and a meaningless game where a important player can be hurt.

I see them as the best way to make sure that the first "real" games are not sloppy. They are the best way to mesh rookies and new free agents and even new coaches into the team. This goes double when you have all new coaches and a new offense and defense. And lastly something that since the death of NFL Europe has gotten more important. And that is having a idea of what those fringe players can do. The undrafted free agents and 6th-7th round draft picks.

I looked into this last year and I found that the owners and coaches want to go from 53 to at least 55 and to enlarge the practice squad. Oddly enough the people in the way are the Players Union. They feel like the fewer players on a team the more money each one will make. And when a GM is trying to decide on releasing a older player for a untested young player who has promise he will tend to go with the older player. And the older player will make more money. Even to get to the practice squad a player has to clear waviers which means a young player can be picked up by someone else.

I think most Dolphin fans would agree that we really need every preseason game we can get this year. With rookies and new free agents everywhere learning a new offense and defense not having these four games could cost us 2-3 games during the start of the season.

Now granted last year's preseason was wasted by Cam Cameron. He only played two rookies, he did not play a number of veterans and we looked and played like crap. Look how he did not use Beck at all until mid season.

This year's use of preseason is just one of the 352 reasons that our new GM/Coaches are better. Henne is getting ready to start if called open playing most of the minutes. Look at our OL where we are starting 2 rookies, a 2nd year player and a free agent and how they have improved from the first game. Look at our defensive players who have to adjust to a 3-4 with a couple of important new rookies and a number of free agents moving into starting roles.

I hope that most Dolphin fans can agree that this preseason is needed and is important.

LUG!!! Haven't seen you in a while, hope everything is going ok.

I agree that this preseason is important, but so is a developmental league. The NFL needs to have a minor league system in place because an 8-man practice squad isn't enough to get talent into the league.

Tell us what you really feel.(j/k)

Now that you've gotten that off you chest, and I agree, what about Goodells plans to add regular season games while cutting preseason?

Preseason is more important for teams like us, or teams that have numerous position battles. Up in say NE or Indy, Im sure the preseason isnt seen quite the same way when most spots are already locked down. Depth at certain areas and the odd rookie who may actually make the roster of a loaded team is really all the preseason is for them.

I agree that preseason is a valuable tool for teaching &evaualting how players respond in game time situation against other opponents. However because these games are more EXPERIMENTAL and half the guys that will play most of the minutes are MEDIOCRE and may not even crack an NFL lineup I feel these ticket prices should be VERY, VERY AFFORDABLE.

Preseason is more important for teams like us, or teams that have numerous position battles. Up in say NE or Indy, Im sure the preseason isnt seen quite the same way when most spots are already locked down. Depth at certain areas and the odd rookie who may actually make the roster of a loaded team is really all the preseason is for them.

I would agree with this,

In NE of IND the pre-season is meaningful for about a drive. With Miami the entire game is pretty much meaningful because you have guys like Devone Bess playing deep into games, Chad Henne (Beck if he ever does), guys who are likely to see significant time this season.

Back
Top Bottom