The Mcgahee Theory... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Mcgahee Theory...

Tatonka

New Poppa
Reaction score
feel free to disagree..

if we had not picked up Gary, then we still would have had an obvious need for a back up running back..

now, gary signed a 2 year deal. and i am assuming that Mcgahee is going to sit this year. gary has an incentive laden contract. he could easily be cut next year.

WM sits this year. Travis plays great again this year. Gary backs him up.

Next year, Gary is gone. WM is the back up if Henry has that great season we are expecting.

Our RB situation is solved for a long time.

When it comes down to it, you can all speculate that TD SHOULD have taken this guy or that guy, but obviously, they were not rated as high as our pick was, in the eyes of the FO. It was also stated that WM was the number one guy in the draft on the bills board prior to the injury. Obviously, the bills docs like the odds of his recovery, and still feel like they are getting a top 5 pick and bringing him into a situation that he doesnt have to rush into.

i am not as shocked now as i was. we got a good player for free. TD has stated, if you cant handle competition for your job, then your on the wrong team. Nobodies job is secure. Perform or get out. I like the attitude. That is how you build a winner.

worst case scenario, is that we got a guy who doesnt ever fully recover to be a stud from his good awful injury.. remember what we used to pick him with though.. a free pick.. a pick we maybe should have never even had, if it were not for TD's good work to get something for nothing.

best case scenario is that we have a Ricky Williams type situation, where WM returns to the form that would have made him a top 5 pick.. and the year after next, we are looking at WM as our starter, and trading TH for 2 first rounders like Miami gave up for RW...

to say the draft is no good because of one shocking pick though is just totally jumping the gun. TD has 9 starters from his last 2 drafts.. i dont think all 9 starters were first round picks. :rolleyes:

funny how bills fans love TD so much, then after this pick they all question his ability to draft, which he has done so well for so long.

Originally posted by bigbry
TD was stoned.

BB

I don't think so really... it was a shock, but the more I think about it...the more it makes sense... they now have Henry who gets the job done, and a future commodity in Willis... Mcgahee can take a year to recover/learn the offense/gain experience, and not be pressured into making an immediate impact. It really falls right into the "pick the best player available" strategy... it might turn out a bust...but it very well could be a brilliant move for the future of that team...

Time will tell....

that is what i have been trying to tell all the whiners at billszone, wharf..

best available player...

now, some may disagree that he was the best available guy.. and others will say, so trade down and take him.. but obviously, it takes two to trade down.. just cus we may want to, doesnt mean that someone else was there to give us extra picks..

all i know is that WM was obviously the BAP on the bills board.. and they get paid alot to figure that out.. and the bills FO has unquestionably one of the best track records as far as drafts..

i believe the draft is still loaded with talent Infinsible.. there are ALOT of second rounders that we COULD have taken in the first..

kenny peterson or kelsay are still around at this point.. you can draft later in the draft to win now..

the WM pick may very well be the "keep winning in the future" theory.

it is not like TD drafted Brayton, Pace, or Nismaonga Assumuncher in the first round.. that drafted a guy that should/would have gone in the top 3 picks at #23..

i remember another running back in buffalo that they picked up after he fell a long way down after an injury...

Back
Top Bottom