The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill

Why? Especially the Colts. Luck is 10-12 in his last 22 starts. Luck has missed nearly as much time as Tannehill. His injury is to his THROWING SHOULDER and recent reports indicate that it has not improved to the point where he can throw. The Colts went 4-12 with Luck's backup.

Both Winston and Carr have a worse winning % than Tannehill.

Where the hell is the consistency in reasoning?

Winston is 24, and not coming off missing the past 20 games. Carr is 26 and didn't miss the past 20 games. Ryan is 30, and missed the past 20 games. Luck would be comparable because he has missed a season, but it doesn't apply because the Colts traded a 2nd round pick for Brissett, a viable back up QB that we do not have.

Carr and Luck have proven to have more upside than Ryan to make their respective teams have more faith. Luck has been an MVP candidate, 3x pro bowler, and lead his team to AFC championship game. Carr has been a pro bowler, and took his team to 12-3 record in 2016. Ryan's best season he was 8-5 with 19tds and 12ints and was sacked 29x.

This post isn't debating if Ryan is good. Its addressing the fact we have a 30 year old QB who hasn't played in 20 games, and no back up on our roster, and just lost a full season for making this mistake in 2017.

Yup, that's what I felt, two injuries. Others disagree.

As for the open issues on RT, my thoughts would be:

* I don't think it'll be in his head - he's shown throughout the course of his career that he's tough physically, and mentally. That boy has been getting lampooned in the pocket throughout his entire career, and he's week after week stood in there and taken a beating. I expect him to come back strong as ever (fingers crossed).
* One thing I'd wonder - will he have the same mobility - even beyond the trust issues? Will the brace affect him?
* I don't think he will.

Two injury events are not what people worry about or are what they are talking about here, especially when the second was a non-contact injury. What people worry about is the need for a second repair of the same part of the body -- something that is NOT AN ISSUE here. The fact that his doctors cleared him to play after a rehab based plan doesn't make the second occurrence of the injury a bigger deal -- it just means that they rolled the dice and it came up craps and instead of saving time and getting on the field faster, he lost another year.

I agree with all of your takes on the risk profile of Tannehill's injury and recovery for the team. Tannehill has proven over years that it should be treated as a minimal risk.

With that in mind, we turn to the draft. At 11 (or even trading up), is it worth drafting a QB? It's only worth it if you feel you can draft someone you believe offers significantly more upside than Tannehill has shown (high average, middle of the pack above average QB play), fits your offensive system (or is so good that you're willing to retool to suite the QB), has a college track record that you believe in, and doesn't have anything in their profile that increases the already crazy risk (attitude, mechanics, an area of stat that isn't up to snuff, etc.) of picking at 11. Otherwise, we should be looking at a cheap veteran and/or drafting a high risk/reward type in the middle to late rounds.

Our team, with the large number of missing pieces, can't afford to throw away a high round pick for a high risk player. High, first round picks HAVE to make it onto the field or you are setting the team backward in a big way. Everyone is rightly pointing to the Jags who got better by having years of good success with high level picks.

Trade down in the first round. Go lb in 1, qb and te in 2, g/g or g s/lb hybrid in 3rd.

Winston is 24, and not coming off missing the past 20 games. Carr is 26 and didn't miss the past 20 games. Ryan is 30, and missed the past 20 games. Luck would be comparable because he has missed a season, but it doesn't apply because the Colts traded a 2nd round pick for Brissett, a viable back up QB that we do not have.

LOL. Brissett led the team to a 4-11 record. If the Dolphins had gone 4-12 with Matt Moore, would you be claiming his is a viable backup QB?

Carr and Luck have proven to have more upside than Ryan to make their respective teams have more faith.

Proven how?

Luck has been an MVP candidate, 3x pro bowler, and lead his team to AFC championship game. Carr has been a pro bowler, and took his team to 12-3 record in 2016. Ryan's best season he was 8-5 with 19tds and 12ints and was sacked 29x.

How did Carr do in 2017 when his OL wasn't among the league's best? What is WInston's career record?

This post isn't debating if Ryan is good. Its addressing the fact we have a 30 year old QB who hasn't played in 20 games, and no back up on our roster, and just lost a full season for making this mistake in 2017.

So draft a QB in the 3rd round or sign a FA QB.

Two injury events are not what people worry about or are what they are talking about here, especially when the second was a non-contact injury. What people worry about is the need for a second repair of the same part of the body -- something that is NOT AN ISSUE here. The fact that his doctors cleared him to play after a rehab based plan doesn't make the second occurrence of the injury a bigger deal -- it just means that they rolled the dice and it came up craps and instead of saving time and getting on the field faster, he lost another year.

I agree with all of your takes on the risk profile of Tannehill's injury and recovery for the team. Tannehill has proven over years that it should be treated as a minimal risk.

With that in mind, we turn to the draft. At 11 (or even trading up), is it worth drafting a QB? It's only worth it if you feel you can draft someone you believe offers significantly more upside than Tannehill has shown (high average, middle of the pack above average QB play), fits your offensive system (or is so good that you're willing to retool to suite the QB), has a college track record that you believe in, and doesn't have anything in their profile that increases the already crazy risk (attitude, mechanics, an area of stat that isn't up to snuff, etc.) of picking at 11. Otherwise, we should be looking at a cheap veteran and/or drafting a high risk/reward type in the middle to late rounds.

Our team, with the large number of missing pieces, can't afford to throw away a high round pick for a high risk player. High, first round picks HAVE to make it onto the field or you are setting the team backward in a big way. Everyone is rightly pointing to the Jags who got better by having years of good success with high level picks.

Post of the year!

Miami was never a fun first team last year.

You might want to look in to that, as in 2016 only 4 NFL teams ran the ball more times than Miami, 464 attempts, and we averaged 140ypg(3rd highest in the NFL). This year zero teams ran the ball less than us with 360 atempts for 86 ypg. Obviously in 2016 we were a run first team.

By your logic, Miami would be selecting the 8th best QB anyway because the following teams all have QB issues and pick ahead of the Dolphins:

Browns - No QB
Giants - Eli is nearly done
Colts - Luck may never throw again
Broncos - No QB
Jets - No QB
Buccaneers - Winston is mediocre
Raiders - Carr has been injured and failed miserably this season

So, do you advocate taking the 8th best QB in the draft?

Welcome to the real world.

Strongly, strongly disagree.

Take Indy, TB, and the Raiders off that list...and we're close.

You might want to look in to that, as in 2016 only 4 NFL teams ran the ball more times than Miami, 464 attempts, and we averaged 140ypg(3rd highest in the NFL). This year zero teams ran the ball less than us with 360 atempts for 86 ypg. Obviously in 2016 we were a run first team.

Miami was 19th in the NFL in rushing attempts per game in 2016.

Miami threw the ball more than they ran it.

That’s not a Run first team.

Strongly, strongly disagree.

Take Indy, TB, and the Raiders off that list...and we're close.

You are missing my point. I was simply trying to point out the inconsistency with which posters treat the QB position. If (as the poster was doing), you advocate taking a QB at 11 as an insurance policy in case Tannehill doesn't fully recover or because Tannehill hasn't proven anything yet, then those teams have to be on the list. I don't think any of the three should be but I don't Miami should either.

Indy, in particular, is in a much tougher spot that the Dolphins. Last reports were that Luck is still not throwing and went to Europe to get treatment that isn't available in the US. That does not sound good.

I'm simply trying to get a consistent line of reasoning from people.

Miami was 19th in the NFL in rushing attempts per game in 2016.

Miami threw the ball more than they ran it.

That’s not a Run first team.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/...empts/position/defense/year/2016/seasontype/2

The 5th most rushing attempts in the NFL in 2016. Every NFL team these days has more pass attempts than rushing attempts, but when you are top 5 in rushing attempts and averaging 140ypg on the groun you are obviously a run orientated team. Gase was on record saying after week 5 of 2016 he slowed down the offense and started to rely more on the run. Oh yeah our RB had the 4th most yards in the NFL dispite barely playing in the first 5 games. We went 9-2 because Jay Ajayi emerged as a force. If that isn’t obviousl to you I would suggest watching football.

Wait a min, speeling is yourn Achilles.....lol Maybe use heel instead of heal for the foot areais yours.

Punctuation is yours. Also, if you’re going to correct someone’s spelling, you might want to proofread. “Yourn?”

You are missing my point. I was simply trying to point out the inconsistency with which posters treat the QB position. If (as the poster was doing), you advocate taking a QB at 11 as an insurance policy in case Tannehill doesn't fully recover or because Tannehill hasn't proven anything yet, then those teams have to be on the list. I don't think any of the three should be but I don't Miami should either.

Indy, in particular, is in a much tougher spot that the Dolphins. Last reports were that Luck is still not throwing and went to Europe to get treatment that isn't available in the US. That does not sound good.

I'm simply trying to get a consistent line of reasoning from people.

That makes sense. And yes, I missed your point.

The analogy is getting a crack in your windshield from a stone that hit it. It is there but not large enough to need a replacement. You continue to drive. Weeks later, you hit a pot hole and the crack extends across the whole windshield. You get it replaced.

Did you repair your windshield twice?
Did you have two cracks in your windshield?

No, you had a single crack that you thought wouldn't get worse and you could drive indefinitely. You were wrong. The original crack got worse.

Cracks don't repair themselves. ACLs don't repair themselves. His ACL has (in fact) has now been replaced, just like the windshield. If it cracks again, it is new damage.

This is the best analogy I can think of. Perfect, really.

Back
Top Bottom