The Michael Bennett Option | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Michael Bennett Option

cnc66 said:
bob hayes

Bullet Bob Hayes was a 2 sports star. At one time he was known as the worlds fastest human. All pro 4 times... literly paved the way for speedy recievers... I can remember (showing my age) unbelievabe seperation between him and defensive backs... I hope you were not using him as an example of speed not translating into football greatness.

phinz_fan said:
Stay tuned for my upcoming threads: Deion Sanders is Black, Dan Marino is retired, and Terrell Owens is arrogant. They will contain a lot of equally redundant information - much like this thread.

Deion is black??? :eek:

ckparrothead said:
Unbelievable. The dude just smoked a 9.91 seconds in the 100 meters. That is good enough to have taken 5th place at the last OLYMPICS in Athens, Greece. Guy doesn't even train like Olympic sprinters do, and he's dang near an olympic medal in speed.

I'm not sayin anything, not saying we should or should not have gotten him, or that we should or should not have gotten Ronnie, or that we should or should not have let Ricky come back. But there was a lot of discussion around here about the merits of Michael Bennett. I seem to remember a lot of folks down on him because of his injury history, some even suggesting he lost speed etc.

What good is that speed if its always on the sidelines broken? Bennett will always be a tease, simply because he will always be broken.

ckparrothead said:
But, I also think the Vikings will end up happy with Michael Bennett. His injury history isn't really as extensive as some have made it out to be.
Its not? He has only been available for 19 out of the last 32 games Minn has played in. He has only played one full season in 4 years. Been available to play in 48 of the 64 games he has been a pro. He has missed 25% of his career due to injury and 41% of the last two years.

Just what do you call extensive?

ckparrothead said:
Don't get me wrong, I like Ronnie Brown and like him even better with Ricky Williams on board to help him out on the carry totals, but I do remember prior to the draft a lot of chatter about our options at runninback.

And, I remember, prior to the whole Whizzinator fiasco with Onterrio Smith, Michael Bennett was one of those options. Trade options were discussed regarding Michael Bennett.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/11904934.htm

Unbelievable. The dude just smoked a 9.91 seconds in the 100 meters. That is good enough to have taken 5th place at the last OLYMPICS in Athens, Greece. Guy doesn't even train like Olympic sprinters do, and he's dang near an olympic medal in speed.

I'm not sayin anything, not saying we should or should not have gotten him, or that we should or should not have gotten Ronnie, or that we should or should not have let Ricky come back. But there was a lot of discussion around here about the merits of Michael Bennett. I seem to remember a lot of folks down on him because of his injury history, some even suggesting he lost speed etc.

I think we'll be happy with Ronnie Brown. But, I also think the Vikings will end up happy with Michael Bennett. His injury history isn't really as extensive as some have made it out to be.

INJURY PRONE!! INJURY PRONE!! INJURY PRONE!!

Fact is Bennett has been injury prone and has only finished one season the last 4 years without getting hurt.

You should know this CK, your smarter that this buddy!!

NJPHIN34 said:
That straightaway, sprinter speed doesn't always translate to the NFL. I think a RB's most important skills are his vision, followed by his agility, than maybe power, than I think top speed. But it doesn't matter how fast a guy is if he can't stay on the field. And if he doesn't have the power to break tackles, what good is that breakaway speed?

Kind of like they always talked about Terrell Davis. Not a combine eye popper, but whne in pads and playing...well you all know.

I really like Michael Bennett, when he is healthy. As much as I like Linehan, I really thought he was a much better back than Smith and Moore. The guy is a burner, and hypothetically if he was traded for, who would Saban of picked 2nd overall? I hated the idea of Braylon Edwards, there was not a defensive tackle/LT who was worth picking, and while I thought Rodgers had value, I was proven wrong by him dropping to GB. With keeping the 2nd overall pick, it appears that the best option was a RB, while I disagree with the RB who was chosen because I think Cedric Benson will be the best back, a RB probably was the right choice, even though RB's who I think would probably of been taken much higher in previous years fell to the 2nd day in Fason and MB3. If Michael Bennett stays healthy, he is a pro bowl caliber RB, while I don't know what kind of offense Minnesota will run without Linehan, if better options were available at need positions, I would've been all for the trade, but with the top defensive tackle prospect, Rod Wright, and the top 2 LT prospects in McNeil and Fergusan not declaring, taking a RB probably was the safest pick.

What I KNOW, is that 13 of the 16 games that he has missed are due to ONE injury. That is not so bad. It is the equivalent of a guy blowing out his knee for a year.

David Boston has played in 70 of 96 career games, which works out to even less of a percentage than Bennett. Yet, I see nothing but blind optimism about him around here. Guess Bennett should have been a dolphin first, and THEN I could get away with singing his praises. :rolleyes:

MelbournePhin said:
john capel from UF is another example of world class sprinter/failed football player

LOL @ your Dolemite avatar...funniest movie ever.

"Mothaf*ckaaaaaaaaaz!" :rofl3:

Speed is not everything. look at michael bates. he medaled in the olympics in sprinting. he was a good return man but that was it. to be a good running back you either have to be elusive or a hard nosed runner who will run right through a guy. bennett is not an elusive runner he is north and south. he can't break tackles, hell too strong of a wind and he goes down. No Bennett needs to play on a team with a powerfull o-line so he can get passed the defense and out run them. he would not fit in good with miami.

djfresh47 said:
I really like Michael Bennett, when he is healthy. As much as I like Linehan, I really thought he was a much better back than Smith and Moore. The guy is a burner, and hypothetically if he was traded for, who would Saban of picked 2nd overall? I hated the idea of Braylon Edwards, there was not a defensive tackle/LT who was worth picking, and while I thought Rodgers had value, I was proven wrong by him dropping to GB. With keeping the 2nd overall pick, it appears that the best option was a RB, while I disagree with the RB who was chosen because I think Cedric Benson will be the best back, a RB probably was the right choice, even though RB's who I think would probably of been taken much higher in previous years fell to the 2nd day in Fason and MB3. If Michael Bennett stays healthy, he is a pro bowl caliber RB, while I don't know what kind of offense Minnesota will run without Linehan, if better options were available at need positions, I would've been all for the trade, but with the top defensive tackle prospect, Rod Wright, and the top 2 LT prospects in McNeil and Fergusan not declaring, taking a RB probably was the safest pick.

I think he would have only tried (like he did) to get someone to trade up for Edwards by faking piking him. I think if he couldn't trade he would have taken Rodgers. The only reason he fell to GB was because nobody needed a QB that badly. Rodgers' value did not plummet. At 21 he was a steal.

Back
Top Bottom