The new Kiick and Csonka? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The new Kiick and Csonka?

FINSTER

Dolfan Laureate
Reaction score
I realize this may have been posted before, but isn't it something to think that if this whole thing works out we could have a dynamite running tandem like we had in the glory days?

Brown is a great all around back, can run, catch, and block....actually, I think Ronnie may be better than Kiick was at running. And Ricky is not quite the power runner Csonka was, but has more speed and moves. Both had a distinctive look too, Csonka with the broken nose and the bullring on the helmet, while Ricky had the dark visor and dreads. I'm hoping Ricky grows the dreads back.

Could you imagine the marketing possibilities?

We had Butch and Sundance...........What tandem name could Ricky and Ronnie have?

This whole season should be interesting. I'm actually going out next month and buying a recordable DVD player for this season's games.

FINSTER said:
I realize this may have been posted before, but isn't it something to think that if this whole thing works out we could have a dynamite running tandem like we had in the glory days?

Brown is a great all around back, can run, catch, and block....actually, I think Ronnie may be better than Kiick was at running. And Ricky is not quite the power runner Csonka was, but has more speed and moves. Both had a distinctive look too, Csonka with the broken nose and the bullring on the helmet, while Ricky had the dark visor and dreads. I'm hoping Ricky grows the dreads back.

We had Butch and Sundance...........What tandem name could Ricky and Ronnie have?

This whole season should be interesting. I'm actually going out next month and buying a recordable DVD player for this season's games.

Actually Jim Kiick was not the back that should be used in your example, Csonka and Mercury Morris were the 1-2 combo, Kiick was more of a role player who was not exceptionally talented.

Csonka was a raging bull the likes of which have rarely if ever been seen in this league, and Mercury was an incredible blend of speed and strength, he was extremely strong(the strongest guy on the team at the time).

Mercury would have had a far greater career numberwise had he played elsewhere.

Everyone is loving this 1-2 punch.....I hate to see HB sharing the ball, a featured back IMO seems to have more success.

Look what a 1-2 punch did for Auburn football! Undefeated and should share the national champiochip.

BlueFin said:
Actually Jim Kiick was not the back that should be used in your example, Csonka and Mercury Morris were the 1-2 combo, Kiick was more of a role player who was not exceptionally talented.

Csonka was a raging bull the likes of which have rarely if ever been seen in this league, and Mercury was an incredible blend of speed and strength, he was extremely strong(the strongest guy on the team at the time).

Actually, I DID mean Kiick. I know that starting in '72, Merc got more playing time than Kiick. But, my point is that Zonk and Kiick were a buddy tandem during the first 4 years of their career together in Miami (they both came to the Dolphins in '68, Mercury arrived a year later). They were exciting to watch together on the field. I hope that we can get Ricky and Ronnie into an exciting situation like that.

BlueFin said:

Exactly.. and, NO offense, but, Ricky is NOTHING like Zonk.... no one is and ever will be.... but you're right bluefin... Morris and Zonk is a more realistic comparison..

FINSTER said:
Actually, I DID mean Kiick. I know that starting in '72, Merc got more playing time than Kiick. But, my point is that Zonk and Kiick were a buddy tandem during the first 4 years of their career together in Miami (they both came to the Dolphins in '68, Mercury arrived a year later). They were exciting to watch together on the field. I hope that we can get Ricky and Ronnie into an exciting situation like that.

Well then I think your example is a bad one.

Csonk and Mercury were the pair that both rushed for 1000 yards in the same season, that would be the kind of output you would hope to see out of a Ricky/Ronnie combo, Kiick was not a great runningback, he was a hardnosed player with a lot of heart and excellent in his limited role of spelling Csonka, I would expect something more like Csonka/Merc out of Ricky/Ronnie.

FINSTER said:

Are you going to make more than one copy of the games?? I wouldnt mind that if you are. Ill buy some if there reasonable. I also am getting really freakin excited to see 2 amazing backs in the backfield. All those years having bums and now..this! Ill be rooting for them both the same.

I will say that the last time the Dolphins had a tandem pair of runningbacks this talented, was yes when Czonka and Morris were running together.

If Ricky can get back to his playing weight, the situation compares very well to Czonka and Morris. I wouldn't say that Ricky is nothing like Czonka, because Ricky does bring that physical toughness to the table. It's not the same toughness as the only offensive ballcarrier in the history of the game to get an unnecessary roughness penalty while carrying the ball, but Ricky with the ball in his hands was still something that defensive backs feared to tackle.

I know that I've read articles before that said Miami has been doomed to failure so long as we keep having to train in the heat and humidity, keep having home games early in the heat and humidity, etc...because it wears the team out by the end of the season. Miami managed to get over that hump 3 times, and two of those times were when we had a super productive running game and a bunch of tailbacks to share that load.

Saban is a big believer in history repeating itself. It's possible, that this is something he has already thought of...

Back
Top Bottom