The "Newson Experiment" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Newson Experiment"

The reason is Tolver was good in camp and so was Newson. i'm sure they thought Tolver has a brighter long term future but perhpas he's not ready to see consistent action right now.

Perhaps he's not in tune with the hot reads of the QB. Perhaps he's not blocking downfield, we don't know the reason other than what was reported. Newson is faster and brings a big play element that Tolver does not.

I'm going to go with the coaching staff that sees each player every day and knows how they're doing.

BTW, Tolver was the star of mini-camps. He did very little once training camp opened. I think tolver can be good, but with his lack of speed perhaps he's having trouble gaining seperation.

Originally posted by Prime Time
It's fair to let Tolver be active becuase Newson got his chance? That's a great reason. Tolver will get his chance when coaches think he is playing good enough to earn it.

you damn right

Well I believe Tolver should get his shot. He had a great mini-camp and a great preseason. He was nothing but a playmaker.

Hey CO84....I love your sig...did you think about it all on your own?

Newson was actually able to get some seperation. Drops or no, he has gotten more seperation in two games than Derrius has in 10 games. In my opinion that alone makes him a more intruiging option.

Originally posted by Prime Time
Hey CO84....I love your sig...did you think about it all on your own?

Looks like somebody didn't watch the NFL on CBS where Deion said that he should be on Prime Time, cause of the name? :rolleyes2

Tolver needs to get time. He's frustrated because, as he said, he asks the coaches what he needs to work on. And the coaches are telling him he's doing great, but he still ain't getting any time. Get Thompson outta there. I think that he might be outta there after Redskin week.

Newsom hasn't dropped that many passes, the reason he drops some is because he is getting to balls most WR wouldn't get to. I love the guy, he lays his body out over the middle. If he got a few more passes to him, he would show us some fire works.

By all reports in the last 2 weeks, Newsome had out-perofrmed Tolver on the practice sqad. There were even comments that they believed he was the better athlete of two and was only weak in pre-season because he was tired from NFL-E.

That said, the Herald has this to say today:

"How desperate are the Dolphins at split end? Enough that rookie J.R. Tolver, who has been inactive nine of the season's 10 games, might get significant playing time against the Redskins."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7287995.htm

Myself, I believe that has more to do with the fact the coaches want a spark from that position and will look for it from anyone at this point. Newsome has 2 catches (one particularly nice) 3 drops, and a PI penalty against him, so I think they will keep cycling people in and out.

The question is, how do the active roster spots work out? Newsome is a backup KR/PR and a flyer on special teams. If Tolver is active, I would guess that means a player like McKnight might sit.

All that said, I was impressed with Tolver in the preseason - his ability to catch and spin past the first person was impressive. Overall, he reminded me of McDuffie...

Back
Top Bottom