The NFL is working on Division Realignment (per Andrew Siciliano of NFL Network) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The NFL is working on Division Realignment (per Andrew Siciliano of NFL Network)

I can't see the NFL allowing Dallas to leave the NFC East rivalries and really can't see Miami leaving the East either. Obviously if the league was just starting then it would all make sense.

I'd rather see more teams in divisions to prevent runs like the Patriots have had over the last twenty years where they clearly had a huge competitive advantage derived from intra-division incompetence. If divisions were five or six teams then I don't think this would occur.

I miss the AFC Central. The Jags and Texans are rivals, but for us our true rival always was and will be the Baltimore Ravens. I hate everything about them and would love to play them twice annually again.

I can't see the NFL allowing Dallas to leave the NFC East rivalries and really can't see Miami leaving the East either. Obviously if the league was just starting then it would all make sense.

I'd rather see more teams in divisions to prevent runs like the Patriots have had over the last twenty years where they clearly had a huge competitive advantage derived from intra-division incompetence. If divisions were five or six teams then I don't think this would occur.

I miss the AFC Central. The Jags and Texans are rivals, but for us our true rival always was and will be the Baltimore Ravens. I hate everything about them and would love to play them twice annually again.
I agree with you. Rivalries are intensified over time. You cannot just create rivalries automatically based on geography. The atmosphere at home when the Jets, Bills or pats come to town is completely different - even in bad years - than the Jags coming to town.

Earlier was said that they want to reduce travel time. Oh please. They are professional athletes making plenty of money to work in a field they love and the NFL teams make all profits. A 2- or 3-hour plane ride should not affect any kind of realignment.

I was already miffed when they took out the Colts but at least it was the least intense rivalry.

The league was set up to prevent runs like the Patriots. Parity. Salary cap and revenue distribution was supposed to prevent dynasties.

I'm personally in favor of a Divisional realignment myself. I wouldn't swap us with Baltimore though. I'd swap with the Colts. They used to be in the AFCE back in the day. Look at it geographically guys...we're the southern most team in the league, so to me, it'd make sense to put us in the AFCS. We can make/forge new rivalries with these teams, plus an every year in-state rivalry with Jacksonville. I get the history and rivalries with the other AFCE teams, I do, but imo, we as the southern most NFL team belong in a division with other southern teams. Again, just my opinion.
Correct about The Dolphins being the southern most team in the division but have you been to South Florida recently? Its mostly made up of New Yorkers and Bostonians it is the east coast.

Correct about The Dolphins being the southern most team in the division but have you been to South Florida recently? Its mostly made up of New Yorkers and Bostonians it is the east coast.
Well, even though I now live in N.W. GA. I grew up in South Florida...a lil town on Lake Okeechobee called Pahokee...so I've seen my share of people from up north moving to Florida.

I get the idea but rivalries can change.

My teenagers dislike the Pat's because they've won so much but they don't feel a rivalry with the Jets or Bill's. I assume that's because the Fins haven't really been competitive in their days of football watching.

I will always hate the Jets and dislike the Bill's when they're good... I honestly don't "hate" the Pats. I hope they lose but I don't hate them.

All that being said, I think fantasy football has killed the sense of rivalry for a generation of fans.

They should just have two divisions in each conference. The 4 division winners get byes. It will eliminate bad teams from making the playoffs just because they won the division like philly this year.

It really never made sense that we were in the same division with New York, Buffalo and New England. It was only a rivarly because we played them all the time. We can develop new rivalries. AFC South makes more sense. Jacksonville and Miami in the battle for Florida.

I'd rather see two 16 team Divisions. AFC and NFC. Play 15 games against your own league and one cross league game every year.

Top 6 teams in each Conference make the playoffs.

First year your cross-conference game would be a crap shoot. Each following year you'd play the team from the other conference that landed the same place you did in the standings the year before. That would make it so more 9-7 Division wonder would ever host a playoff game against a 12-4 Wildcard team - genius.

Last edited:
I support this. I don't care about the rivalries against Jets, Bills, Pats. Do not care for those teams either. Rivalries are created by division alignment, not the other way around. Divisions are not created because of some preexisting rivalries.

Bogus thread! This will never happen. Can you imagine taking the 'boys away from Philly, Washington and the G-Men? WOW! That would suck!. And for what, so they can play Tampa, Atlanta and the Saints? Goodell would be thrown out of the commissioner's seat if he allowed this.

Back
Top Bottom