The Offensive Tackle Mythology Index | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Offensive Tackle Mythology Index

What if according to the Hickey rankings, the best player available happens to be a QB or a Center, who surprisingly falls in the Draft? I like many happen to believe that we have a decent QB in Ryan Tannehill, with better protection, he is set to improve. We also have a top Center in Mike Pouncey. However, if we are simply taking the BPA per the board, does that mean that we take the QB or the Center who we don't need but is surprisingly there at #19?
I would argue that BPA has to match to some extent with team needs and is therefore strictly not BPA.

This is why I don't like the phrase "we need to just draft bpa no matter what." We need to draft for value and part of that formula should be overall player rankings but team needs should also definitely be part of it. The value of a RT for us may be different than his value to a team needing a QB.

What if according to the Hickey rankings, the best player available happens to be a QB or a Center, who surprisingly falls in the Draft? I like many happen to believe that we have a decent QB in Ryan Tannehill, with better protection, he is set to improve. We also have a top Center in Mike Pouncey. However, if we are simply taking the BPA per the board, does that mean that we take the QB or the Center who we don't need but are surprisingly there at #19?
I would argue that BPA has to match to some extent with team needs and is therefore strictly not BPA.

If he has a C in the top 19, we need a new GM. But theoretically, if one of the top QBs fell, I wouldn't be upset despite having faith in Tannehill. Solves the backup QB problem, gives a potential out if Tannehill suprisingly doesn't pan out this year, and gives us trade bait if he does.

That being said, it's a highly unlikely scenario because there are enough teams smart enough to value QBs above all else, as they should.

What if according to the Hickey rankings, the best player available happens to be a QB or a Center, who surprisingly falls in the Draft? I like many happen to believe that we have a decent QB in Ryan Tannehill, with better protection, he is set to improve. We also have a top Center in Mike Pouncey. However, if we are simply taking the BPA per the board, does that mean that we take the QB or the Center who we don't need but are surprisingly there at #19?

I think you take the BPA and worry about the implications later. Pouncey could move to guard. If the QB drafted was the next Marino, Tannehill would be traded to Jacksonville in 2 seconds.
A good GM is always looking to upgrade.

Nice write up Spesh. Not sure I'd take a RT at 19, but there definitely needs to be talent along the OL as well as talent at impact positions.
This draft is going to be very interesting because of the fact that at 19, we could have a number of talented players fall to us.

Being that this draft is deep at OT, I could see us finding a rookie starting RT in the 2nd round. Only positions on the OL that I think warrant a 1st round pick are LT and C.

Lets consider this: 11 of 12 playoff teams last year had a 1st round pick at a starting OT position. All 11 of those OT's were drafted by the teams they played on - none of them were free agent signings, they were all homegrown 1st round draft picks. Lets not kid ourselves into thinking OT shouldn't be seriously considered in the 1st round.

But is this the exception or the rule? How many of those teams had a QB or pass rusher or play maker taken in the the 1st round?
I am all for a 1st on a LT, but why spend a first on a guy to play RT? Albert is locked up to be our LT for at least 3 years.
Our team has more pressing needs at premium position than to be getting a RT in the 1st. There will be better players available at 19 than Martin.

Clearly, the game's paradigm has shifted since I was a kid, and increasingly to today.

Like taxes, once a rule is in place, it's not likely to be pulled back....Ever. Now that
the former players we all used to consider iron men and tough guys have opened
up the can of worms, there's literally nothing the NFL can do except act in a manner
that mitigates future damages.

It's rapidly becoming flag football. I don't mean that literally, I mean that speed is
what is going to be the determining factor rather than power. I love a power running
game, but there's only going to be so much of a window for that sort of offense in the
new NFL.

What chaps my ass is that Tannehill would be a great, mobile, athletic QB if anyone
would let him. Instead, he's just going to get killed, unless Lazor can actually do
anything about it.

I don't have much confidence in any move at this point.

We already have a 1st round pick starting at OT. Guess we can check that off. :d-day:

So then you understand that there is value in selecting an OL in the 1st round? or are you supporting the idea in the OP that no OL should be taken in the 1st round...

So then you understand that there is value in selecting an OL in the 1st round? or are you supporting the idea in the OP that no OL should be taken in the 1st round...

No, I understand that there can be some value in selecting an OL in the first round (OT only really), especially now that we don't have to invest so much cap in a non-playmaking position any longer. This is especially true when you are pretty much set at QB (we weren't with Long) and playmakers (we aren't). This is mostly because the old timer views of the league still prevail in some circles, the view that OT is the most important position in football (not even close) and so they continue to overdraft the position. This means that if you want one of the best, you're probably not going to get the best value and you're going to sacrifice a playmaking position to get one. If it comes down to either overdrafting the position or overpaying in FA for a proven starter, I'll take the playmaker in the draft and do what we did this offseason: overpay for a FA.

Like Spesh, there are others that I liked better than Albert and I think injuries and age will force a future move earlier than others would have (certainly not in this draft outside of a midrounder to groom behind him), but I like the move overall because it frees us in the draft from fans losing their minds if we didn't draft an OT with 19 and saves us the time of an OT taken at 19 to figure out the pro game, something we don't have to wait for with Albert. He raped and pillaged our coffers though. He saw a weakness and fans absolutely losing their minds and took full advantage of being the "best available" OT. Good for him. He doesn't have much longer in the game, so he should get all the money he can.

When it comes to interior line, I see very little value in drafting one in the 1st round, especially in the top 20. Bottom 5 of the first round? Little more reasonable. I don't think the changing league Spesh describes means that G and C has increased in value, just that OT has fallen in value and close to where G and C are. That being said, certain types of OL have increased in value a bit (again, rookie salary cap plays a role in that as much as the changing style of football). Of all the OL that could be available at 19, the only one I see any sort of value in, versus likely available playmakers, would be Martin and that's only because he also adds depth through his versatility. Nobody else. Even then, if somebody like Ebron falls, I'm taking him. Any of the likely available playmakers at 19 would carry far more value than Su'a-Filo and especially more than Moses. The gap in the talent levels of playmakers between 19 and 50 is wider than the gap between interior line and RT. There is less value in the latter.

No, I understand that there can be some value in selecting an OL in the first round (OT only really)

Some value is value. The premise of the OP is that there is no value in taking an OT in the first round. And just because you include a wall of text with nothing but fluff, it doesnt make it more right.

Some value is value. The premise of the OP is that there is no value in taking an OT in the first round.

In case you couldn't tell (and it's hard to tell with only one liner responses), I'm not Spesh. I do agree that there is no value in the Dolphins taking an OT at 19 or moving up to take one.

I agree with Spesh that you need a balance of 5 good guys n the OL or, you're gonna have problems in today's NFL. The days of the best pass rusher lining up vs LT are long gone. They move side to side, and then there are the complicated blitz packages with pressure coming from everywhere. When you tie up a lot of cap space on one or two players, you can't spread the wealth for a good balance.

As to using a fist round pick, it depends who else is available. IF there's a play maker, at WR, TE, DB or LB, you have to take him over the OL. JMO

I think the idea of "BPA" dictates that if there is a player like Zach Martin who drops to 19, we take him, unless there is an even more talented player who drops as well. You can't tout "BPA BPA", and then hide behind the play-maker argument if the BPA is, in fact, an OT. I personally would have NO problem at all taking a top caliber tackle in the first round, and from my understanding that would make Zach Martin or Lewan the only players who could realistically be there and be worthy of the pick.

I think the idea of "BPA" dictates that if there is a player like Zach Martin who drops to 19, we take him, unless there is an even more talented player who drops as well. You can't tout "BPA BPA", and then hide behind the play-maker argument if the BPA is, in fact, an OT. I personally would have NO problem at all taking a top caliber tackle in the first round, and from my understanding that would make Zach Martin or Lewan the only players who could realistically be there and be worthy of the pick.

Of course, if Martin is the BPA, you take him. The difference is in where you prioritize positions. Playmakers will always be of higher value in the 1st round. They will always rank higher on that BPA list, IMO.

Lewan, on the other hand? No thanks. Tired of mental midgets on this team.

Back
Top Bottom