The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread

MikeO said:
Coco is a very good player. But he ain't in Cleveland anymore. Will he DIE under the pressure of Boston (like Edgar) or will he continue to improve (like Boston is banking on).

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Believe it or not not every player dies under the pressure of Boston or New York. David Ortiz didn't, Papelbon didn't. Robbie Cano didn't. Wang didn't.

You're right, he's not in Cleveland anymore, he'll be protected in a better line up and playing in front of sell out crowds every day. That right there should motivate a young guy like Crisp and make him better.

Ray Finkle said:
Believe it or not not every player dies under the pressure of Boston or New York. David Ortiz didn't, Papelbon didn't. Robbie Cano didn't. Wang didn't.

You're right, he's not in Cleveland anymore, he'll be protected in a better line up and playing in front of sell out crowds every day. That right there should motivate a young guy like Crisp and make him better.

You listed 3 or 4 players that didn't. I can name 3 or 4 players that did. Vazquez, Edgar, Contrases...etc

Point is, AS I ORIGINALLYSAID, time will tell whether he dies under the pressure or not. Nobody knows yet. Time will tell.

(do you like to argue stupid points just for the sake of arguing? Seems that way :shakeno: )

MikeO said:
You listed 3 or 4 players that didn't. I can name 3 or 4 players that did. Vazquez, Edgar, Contrases...etc

Point is, AS I ORIGINALLYSAID, time will tell whether he dies under the pressure or not. Nobody knows yet. Time will tell.

(do you like to argue stupid points just for the sake of arguing? Seems that way :shakeno: )

Yes, especially with you :wink:

I could name more than just 3 or 4 players that handled the pressure of Boston or NY, as well as others that couldn't handle the pressure. That wasn't my point though.

My point about Coco Crisp was that he was good in Cleveland and now he's going to Boston where he's going to be protected in the line up by big bats and is going to be a big fan favorite in Boston. Also playing for sell out crowds and for a winner motivates players, especially a guy like Crisp who seems to feed off of the crowd and has a positive attitude.

MikeO said:
Coco is a very good player. But he ain't in Cleveland anymore. Will he DIE under the pressure of Boston (like Edgar) or will he continue to improve (like Boston is banking on).

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Like you will be watching for Coco Crisp to flop, we will be waiting for the Kyle Farnsworth blow up. Until they play under the pressure you just can't tell, but if he plays like he has before, he will have no problem becoming a fan favorite. I think there is a much greater chance of a Kyle Farnsworth flop than Crisp falling over the edge.

GreenMonster said:
Like you will be watching for Coco Crisp to flop, we will be waiting for the Kyle Farnsworth blow up. Until they play under the pressure you just can't tell, but if he plays like he has before, he will have no problem becoming a fan favorite. I think there is a much greater chance of a Kyle Farnsworth flop than Crisp falling over the edge.

Good point, however I don't think you can even compare Crisp with Farnsworth.

Farnsworth has had numerous mental break downs in Chicago, which lead to him being shipped out. The Cub F.O. didn't think he had the mental toughness to deal in pressure situations. I'd be shocked if Farnsworth didn't turn into Jeff Weaver 2K6 or worse. The guy is unstable, you can't deny that.

Crisp has never had that or his mental status questioned. From all reports I read from Cleveland writers and now former players of his he was well liked and had a great attitude. Also listening to him on WEEI, he seemed like a good kid and had respect for the game. Also I'm sure many people will say Crisp never played in pressure situations which is half true/half untrue. He did play great when Cleveland was in the playoff race,(from redsox.com): "Crisp closed the season by batting .331 (40-for-121) with six homers, 16 RBIs and 18 runs in his final 29 games, beginning Sept. 2."

Also interesting note: Damon was at today's Ranger/Penguin game and when they showed him on the big screen MSG booed him. Damon is going to have a tough 4 years in my opinion in NY.

GreenMonster said:

ok, fair enough. Nobody thought Edgar was going to FLOP last year in Boston! You can't predict these things when it comes to these 2 teams is all I am saying.

MikeO said:
ok, fair enough. Nobody thought Edgar was going to FLOP last year in Boston! You can't predict these things when it comes to these 2 teams is all I am saying.

I will admit to not seeing the Edgar flop coming. I thought St. Louis was a real baseball town, but then I remember that NY and BOS are the true tests.

GreenMonster said:
I will admit to not seeing the Edgar flop coming. I thought St. Louis was a real baseball town, but then I remember that NY and BOS are the true tests.

Tony LaRussa did say Renteria going to Boston was a mistake. No one listened to him because they thought he was pissed because Edgar left him in St. Louis.

Too bad the Sox F.O. didn't listen sooner.

Ray Finkle said:
Tony LaRussa did say Renteria going to Boston was a mistake. No one listened to him because they thought he was pissed because Edgar left him in St. Louis.

Too bad the Sox F.O. didn't listen sooner.

its the same with the yankees, the sox f.o. have made some great and terrible decisions, who knew david ortiz would be up and coming when he left minnesota?

Rocky Raccoon said:
clear.gif

:chuckle:

We only drank it for a year, it's been the soft drink of choice for the Sox for nearly 90 years.

nyjunc said:
We only drank it for a year, it's been the soft drink of choice for the Sox for nearly 90 years.

Hey nyjunc, welcome back to the baseball threads. Good luck in 2006 with your team, we'll be talking soon about them I'm sure.

Ray Finkle said:
Hey nyjunc, welcome back to the baseball threads. Good luck in 2006 with your team, we'll be talking soon about them I'm sure.

Thanks, it will be nice to wash out the stench from the football season:D:boohoo: Good luck to you guys as well.

nyjunc said:
Thanks, it will be nice to wash out the stench from the football season:D:boohoo: Good luck to you guys as well.

Well I'd be lying if I said I hope the Yankees do better than the Jets.

Anyway we'll be talking soon, can it be April yet?

Back
Top Bottom