The offseason | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The offseason

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
There are many question marks heading in to this offseason, it seems every year we plug 1 leak, and 2 more start. With out completely overhauling a relatively good team this is what I see that needs to be done.

1) The offense:
Obviously a offense w/out an identity. They thought they were a running team, but they couldn't run the ball all season, and when they had to pass to win they couldn't get it done.

Solution:
QB: Jay has the heart of a champion, but the arm of a good high school qb. I just don't see the use of being as paitent as Dave has been w/him when he obviously does not have true NFL ability. I am not like some that blame Jay for all the problems this team has had, but he isn't helping. I think we have to do what Baltimore finally did last week and continued this week, put the ball in the hands of someone that can hand the ball off 30 times, but also drop back 15-20 times, and has the ability to beat the defense, but will do so w/little risk. I honestly like bringing in Troy for 1 season, and then turning the ball over to Cade. Even if we give it to Cade next season it is time well spent if he struggles a little. He has a much bigger upside than Jay.

RB: Lamar is gone or atleast should be. Travis has shown flashes, but I doubt could carry the load of an every down back. We might see Dave go after Ricky(witch i think would be more of a ploy to fill seats, but will help), but I won't be surprised if Deshaun Foster is made a Dolphin this Apirl.

O-Line: Weakest postion on the whole team. Even when we bring guys back from IR we aren't that strong. The middle 3 are all good at pass protection, but can't run block. We honestly don't know what we have at tackle with Spriggs, Smith, and Wade all being injured this year. If I were to spend $ in the free agent poll o-line is where it would go. It is also the only deep postion in FA. I also don't like starting rookies, so I would go after a C, G, and either another G or T.

Defense:
The scheme is the biggest problem here. JJ buit this defense small, but quick. Unfortuneitly this idea is as old as JJ's super bowl rings. The 350lb tackle that can run a 4.7 40 has made JJ's idea look like the dinosaur. Our LBs and DE get pushed around like school girls against physical teams(definition of physical=winning team in the nfl. see every team still alive in the playoffs).

Solution:
DT: Bowens has to leave for salary issues, and loss of athleticsisim. We have to pray the Gardener can get healthy, if he can I think he could carry the depth we have now. Maybe sign a FA for a cheap price.

DE: Jay is great, but since he is a smaller player that can get pushed around by people like Ogden the other DE has to be very physical. I like Bromell, but I would expect to draft this postion no later than the 4th round.

LB: Biggest weakness on D. Zach is great every one else should fear for their job. They all are 2 small, and get pushed all over the feild. This is another deep postion in FA, we have to sign at least 1 run stuffer at olb, and tell the remaining guys to put on 20lbs.

If I didn't mention it they should leave it alone. We due have a cap issue, but if we dujmp Bowens and Irwin and force Dixon to retire about 10 mill would be available. I also think Jim Bates' job should be looked at closely. Well I can't wait to see who is our O-cordinator is, but untill then or some of theese holes start to get pluged I bid you all farewell.

Miami in 2002!

That all sounds great except for the line backer part, Zach is safe for sure, Greenwood looks like he will develop into a good line backer with some size and speed and Rodgers is signed forever. Hendricks played great in his only start. Galyon and Russel are worthless.

CORRECTION: Galyon and Russell are worthless linebackers, but very good special team players:D

Originally posted by FinaticalOne
CORRECTION: Galyon and Russell are worthless linebackers, but very good special team players:D
and LB is good enough considering our other needs w/Rodgers, Zach and Greenwood.

Originally posted by FinaticalOne

Seems to me like all I ever heard was McGarrahan, D. Bowens and Minor when there was a big play on special teams. If they were very good special teams players, you would have heard their name more often. Any body can play special teams. All you need to be is fearless.

Russell is our S/T captain - I am pretty sure - though Tommy Hendricks and McGarrahan were our best ST guys. Bowens was awesome, but he may be starting at DE next year.

Originally posted by dolphan39
and LB is good enough considering our other needs w/Rodgers, Zach and Greenwood.

Well we know Zach is great, but Rodgers is better than average and Greenwood really stepped it up towards the end. I don't know if he was worth a second round pick, but he was worth a third rounder.

Back
Top Bottom