The One Move No One Is Considering... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The One Move No One Is Considering...

marino2duper73

Active Roster
Reaction score
I haven't seen any threads or posts regarding this possibility at the draft...

Because the majority of our needs are available in the 2nd-4th rounds, with a deep class of defensive tackles and offensive linemen, it is also a smart move IMO to trade down out of the first round and stack our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year (and even 1st round next year).

We might get offers from AZ or other teams that are too good to pass up if at least one of the QBs fall to 11. Plus, the dynamic of the top 10 is going to change with what I believe is going to be a trade-heavy first ten picks. Players, draft picks, and making a splash will shift the boards of several teams.

Thoughts?

if we trade down, i would only want to go a few spots (arizona for example).

i would not trade any further than that, we have lots of needs, but the top talent in this draft isn't that deep.

Sure, if they get it right. That’s the iffy part.

I don’t think we need a QB RIGHT ****ING NOW. Let’s assume the FO sees it that way too, or the hotshots or all gone by the time we pick. Smith, Edmunds, James, Fitz, Vea, that’s about what I’d guess.

Seems like LB, FS, TE, and DT are our gotta gets. TE is 2nd round fodder. Godchaux, showed that we can get a solid DT later than the 3rd. So LB or FS (a hotrod) in the 1st. If the guys we (the fans) want are gone, then I’d consider trading back and loading up the 2nd and 3rd.

I still Think Cleveland takes Barkley 1 and Chubb 4, would take 2 2’s and 3 this year and a 3 next year for our 11, think they surprise and take L. Jackson at 11. We could then entertain offers for the 33rd pick, and end up with 6 picks in Rounds 2 and 3.

if we trade down, i would only want to go a few spots (arizona for example).

i would not trade any further than that, we have lots of needs, but the top talent in this draft isn't that deep.

We don't have many picks. With our multitude of needs, wouldn't you say the "top talent" isn't our target if there's much more in the "good talent" realm in the 2nd-3rd rounds?

One "top talent" pick is not going to make this team better in the "W" column. See "Devante Parker". I guess my metaphoric comparison would be this:

These are figurative terms...

Would you rather have one Ezekiel Elliot and a below average O-Line, or three Jordan Phillips and a solid secondary?

Value-wise, I mean.

ideally, trading down with AZ (especially if they're coming up for a QB) would net us a decent haul.

i wouldn't keep trading down (or down any further) to keep accumulating later picks, unless our FO felt the talent was similar later (as you seem to).

i personally don't think that's the case.

If one of the QBs falls to us, don’t be surprised to see a decent haul from Arizona, or surprisingly New Orleans, to jump the Bills. That is of course if the Bills can’t trade up

ideally, trading down with AZ (especially if they're coming up for a QB) would net us a decent haul.

i wouldn't keep trading down (or down any further) to keep accumulating later picks, unless our FO felt the talent was similar later (as you seem to).

i personally don't think that's the case.
I get that, Circ. I am only speaking in regards to talent value relevant to our needs and amount of picks. It just looks like, on paper of course, that there are more good players to be had to fill needs in the mid-rounds than trying to "settle" for one blue chip player and a slough of 5th-7th round ST hopefuls. Imo.

I still Think Cleveland takes Barkley 1 and Chubb 4, would take 2 2’s and 3 this year and a 3 next year for our 11, think they surprise and take L. Jackson at 11. We could then entertain offers for the 33rd pick, and end up with 6 picks in Rounds 2 and 3.
To me that seems like the smarter move, but we ARE talking about Mike Tannenbaum. I'm fearful that he's going to want to make a big move, and Gase and Grier might not have enough influence to stop him. Sounds like a Marvel comic lol

If the top 2 LB's & safeties are gone and the other suspected high picks, I would do a trade down but only a few spots in hope that I could get a 2nd round pick but most likely a 3rd.

That would give us something like 1-15, 2-42, 3-73, 3-79, 4-123 & 4-131.

I would then explore using those two 4ths to move back to the 3rd if the right player fell or use a 3rd and a 4th to move into the bottom of the 2nd.

I see a need for FS, TE, DT, LB & RB and that could help us get quality players at each spot.

Of course it all depends on how they stack up.

I would also look to move players like Andre Branch and possibly TJ McDonald.. Branch's value could go up on draft day for teams that miss out on a thin group of edge players.

Whether we should trade down is always contingent on who's left on the board when we are picking, how far we would be dropping, and what picks we are getting back. It's definitely possible this year. But as always, circumstantial.

I haven't seen any threads or posts regarding this possibility at the draft...

Because the majority of our needs are available in the 2nd-4th rounds, with a deep class of defensive tackles and offensive linemen, it is also a smart move IMO to trade down out of the first round and stack our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year (and even 1st round next year).

We might get offers from AZ or other teams that are too good to pass up if at least one of the QBs fall to 11. Plus, the dynamic of the top 10 is going to change with what I believe is going to be a trade-heavy first ten picks. Players, draft picks, and making a splash will shift the boards of several teams.

Thoughts?
We are not drafting mediocrity this year. A draft so deep in talent only means if your a stud in this draft your are a the friggen man. We are in position to draft a "you are the friggen man". Not trading down for ****.

Just because we can trade dosent mean we should. The Parker pick one can always dispute before even picking him Same with Harris last year. But this talent at 11, is real. And if we can pick there, let's do it.

No, just no.... An elite talent will be staring us right in the face at #11. Let's grab one of these top tier players for once.

Back
Top Bottom