The Ones That Got Away | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Ones That Got Away

JB-Dolfan-VA said:
What did he do to us? I don't blame him at all -- he got a boatload of money to go play elsewhere. We weren't prepared to sign him, nor should we have, for that kind of money. I think that he benefited from being opposite Taylor.

But good for him. Did you think that he was going to let his double digit signing bonus so that he could have the privilege and honor of playing for WANNSTEDT?

and we got a pretty solid guy that filled a pretty big need in return

Justasportsfan said:
Shirdonya Mitchell/CB/Missouri

Where he landed: Miami, undrafted free agent, 2-year contract.

http://colts.scout.com/2/382004.html

He signed a three year contract.

For those that may not have noticed three URFA received three year deals.

TE Victor Sesay
CB Shirdonya Mitchell
LB Derek Curry

Mitchell has been mentioned by the Sun Sentinel as talented and hurt but I haven't heard about the other two. The only other undrafted rookie that recently signed a three year contract was Wes Welker.

Justasportsfan said:
I could be wrong but if any of those guys get moved to the practice squad, they are up for grabs.
You are right. The only thing against the team signing them off the practice squad is that they MUST make him one of the active 53 players. You can't just take a Practice Squad player and place him on yours.

Justasportsfan said:
I could be wrong but if any of those guys get moved to the practice squad, they are up for grabs.

Correct. Any team can sign any player off any other team's PS, but must offer them a regular-roster contract.

Mc Gahee is the one who got away from the rest of the NFL. Good pickup for the Bills and very tough but good call on starting him over Henry.

NaboCane said:
Correct. Any team can sign any player off any other team's PS, but must offer them a regular-roster contract.
Although it has seldom happened, the PS player has to agree to sign with the team that wants to sign him off another team's PS to their active roster.
A player on the Skins' practice squad a few years ago was offered a contract by another team and turned it down, b/c he felt that he would be actived by the Skins before the end of that season and that they were a better team than the other team that wanted him.

But it is all a moot point in regards to Shird Mitchell, b/c he will either go on to the PUP, or on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury List, which is where Ogunleye spent his first season with Miami, not on Injured Reverse.

Merman said:
He signed a three year contract.

For those that may not have noticed three URFA received three year deals.

TE Victor Sesay
CB Shirdonya Mitchell
LB Derek Curry

Mitchell has been mentioned by the Sun Sentinel as talented and hurt but I haven't heard about the other two. The only other undrafted rookie that recently signed a three year contract was Wes Welker.
Regardless of the length of contract initially signed, unless we waive the player we would still have the rights to him for the same length of time as one signed initially to a shorter contract. If a contract expires after a player's first or second seasons in the league, he is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, so no other team but the one he was playing for could sign him anyway unless that team decided to relinquish his rights. After three seasons, if any of those players are still with the Dolphins, they will just become Restricted Free Agents, same as a drafted player who signs a 3 year deal initially, only with the UDFA guys there is no compensation for losing them to another team unless they're given a middle or high tender.

Back
Top Bottom